Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blown Coverage ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Blown Coverage ? Reply with quote

Anyone know what happened on the 82 yard pass play .. Receiver was wide open.. I saw ,,,someone,, dash under him as he went by.. Maybe expecting deep help. I'm surprised I haven't read anything to explain the latest screw up ..
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin is on Smith closest to you. Hall is playing the slot and Wilson is playing the Y. The Y runs a post with Wilson and Williams bracketing.

Stewart is the Play action decoy who stays in to block.

Olsen releases to the flat where Fletcher should have been, but was held up by the play action.

Hall lets Edwards go from the slot expecting Williams with over the top help, but Williams plays the middle and helps Wilson with his coverage on the post.

Hall had let Edwards go to play the flat and cover Olsen instead of playing man coverage on the slot who ran an out and up and was let go on the out.

Hall and Fletcher both doubled on Olsen in the flat and Williams and Wilson doubled on the Y receiver leaving the slot wide open with no over the top help. Hence the 82 yard pass play.

It was Hall who you saw run in front of him to actually jump the route and cover the flat, instead of his responsibility which was Edwards.

Full Video of the play:

Hall Screwing Up

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, man, talk asking for an apple and getting a bushel--That is fantastic ..Thank you! So--D Hall again-man, man, man .. Twisted Evil
footy_29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well explained Mike.

The issue I have with blaming it on DeAngelo is that Fletcher was no where near Olsen, who was wide open before Hall grabbed him. If Hall expected safety help on his side, I do not disagree with the decision. Fletcher missed his assignment, Hall covers for Fletcher, Williams covers for Hall. That's the in-play adjustment that should have happened.

What actually happened was Fletcher didn't cover anyone and Williams stays on the inside of that post. Williams should have been able to read his side of the field better and Hall should have allowed the short route instead of permitting a wide receiver to get behind him, but it's easy to understand what Williams and Hall did on that play.

Heck of a job by Griffin to get across and stop the touchdown on that play.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of our coverage problems can be attributed to Hall gambling for ints and guessing on routes. he leaves everyone else out to dry instead of covering his man and fufilling his responsibilities in the defense. This is a fact. I'd rather have Hall stay on his man- Edwards and cover that responsibility on a deep route than to worry about a tight end who might gain 10-20 yards.

Madieu Willaims was right to worry more about the Steve Smith and Josh Wilson match up.

The problem is DHall can not do his job, he won't cover his man. It's been a problem since 09. He always thinks he should get extra help and wants to pass everything off to the safeties. Then he complains when he guesses wrong.

Our D will be a whole better in coverage when he's gone next year. If he's kept, I'm going to haw a hard time watching to be honest.

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Hall blew it but who knows how the coverage was called or was spose to rotate etc.. I hope he's gone- the sooner the better. Looking at that again-they had 3 guys WIDE open .. two underneath and the the wideout deep.. terrible coverage all round and yes Griffin went a long way to at least stop him short of a TD..great effort..!
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the issue is that Hall and Fletcher both got held by the play action. And because of that Hall watched Newton look left which was Olsen in the flat.

Hall was closer so he went to jump the coverage on Olsen leaving his man thinking he had over the top help.

BUT. And this is a big BUT.

Having the pass go out to Olsen in the flat is much better than assuming that you have over the top coverage and actually leaving people under than to leave your man that you are in man coverage with, to help the underneath route.

Fletcher can close quickly and Hall would have been in position to actually close down from his defensive route as opposed to jumping the Olsen coverage and leaving his man go.

In this case, Hall made a bad judgement call.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hall body language --the little jump and turn with his arms by his side kinda looks like he went ==OH NO,, I just blew it.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic example of us needing new players and it isn't the coaches fault in the secondary. No matter what they are supposed to do, guys like Hall don't listen. They don't do what they should. They are uncoachable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just seems there is not a lot of communication on the defense to pick up players and understand that the under give up is less than the over give up. 8 yards vs 82 yards? Yeah, first step should always be back, then react.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
It just seems there is not a lot of communication on the defense to pick up players and understand that the under give up is less than the over give up. 8 yards vs 82 yards? Yeah, first step should always be back, then react.

It's crazy they can't fix it with coaching.. I'm wondering if there is friction Haz/ Morris and one wants it one way -- the other another way.. Players loyalty may be split ..
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
mike23md wrote:

It's crazy they can't fix it with coaching.. I'm wondering if there is friction Haz/ Morris and one wants it one way -- the other another way.. Players loyalty may be split ..
hall doesn't listen. He's been playing the same way his entire career.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,, this story kinda pins it on Wilson ..
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/6/redskins-pierre-garcon-foot-injury-surgery-sundber/
footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/6/redskins-pierre-garcon-foot-injury-surgery-sundber/

From the above article:
Quote:
Wilson was responsible for that deep third of the field. Haslett absolved London Fletcher and DeAngelo Hall of blame on the play.

Looks like I was wrong. If it was three deep, Wilson simply followed the post when he should have passed it off to Williams and stayed in his third.
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

From the above article:
Quote:
Wilson was responsible for that deep third of the field. Haslett absolved London Fletcher and DeAngelo Hall of blame on the play.

Looks like I was wrong. If it was three deep, Wilson simply followed the post when he should have passed it off to Williams and stayed in his third.

So if that is the case then wtf is Josh Wilson doing out there? Does he not understand Cover 3. And if he doesn't then why is he playing???

My only question is that the Y receiver that actually ran the post looked like the only deep WR in which Wilson thought that he would cover him. But Edwards ran an out and up. Which Hall didnt read and pushed him as an out pattern and jumped the flat route, instead of covering his portion of the field.

If our defense is making those kinds of mistakes, that is a coaching problem. That is a gameplan problem. And the bigger problem is that Wilson is to blame and that is another big play that he has given up this season.

D. Hall sucks.

J. Wilson sucks.

Revis on a crutch is better than those two combined.

Our secondary really needs an overhaul, IMO.

I dont know. I see teams rebuild in 3 years or less and we seem to be on the 21+ year plan. This is getting preposterous. Something has to shake soon.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: