Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gotta ask this again... Mike Wallace in 2013?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Gotta ask this again... Mike Wallace in 2013? Reply with quote

If mike Wallace can't strike a deal with the steelers this march he will be a free agent. The steelers don't franchise players, so that's not a concern. I know we don't have much cap room but I think we can get him with a deal like we gave Garçon or a deal like the steelers gave Antonio Brown. Dwayne Bowe is going to cost Fitzgerald $$ IMO and we just don't have the room to get him. So, a conciliation prize would be getting a burner and big time playmaker like Wallace. Wallace and Garçon together on the field would as unstoppable as Antonio Brown and Wallace. It would give Griffin a tremendous set of weapons.

I advocate this:

1. Cut D Hall
2. Cut Fletcher Sad
3. Cut Santana Moss

Sign:

1. Mike Wallace
2. Jarius Byrd
3. Sam Shields

Footy29 has mentioned he feels that the league will reduce our salary cap penalty this year and I do agree with him. They made their point last year, now it's time to bring fairness back and cut our penalty this year at least in half. It's not like we got a competitive advantage here, the players we signed to contracts to we're scrubs Haynesworth and Hall. Confused We screwed ourselves there.

Footy29, is it possible we can sign these 3 guys in FA?

If we did. Then in the draft I'd look to sign the BA tackle prospecting round 2 and in Round 3, I'd sign the best available DB. From then on I'd go BPA throughout. I'd still sign Kenny Tate also as a late round pick if he's available. Hopefully we can wait tilt the 7th round.

Last edited by turtle28 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go for this, turtle.
Getting another established WR-- not having to wait and develop him would be huge. Would also allow us to address other positions of need in the draft and we already have guys we are trying to develop at WR.

I agree with your cuts, although I don't relish the idea of cutting Fletcher either. I hope he decides to retire a Redskin after this year.

But I love those FA additions. We are going to have to be aggressive in the FA market like we were last year if we want to complete our team. We couldn't get guys like Carr and a few others we would have liked. We will probably miss out on a few this year too. But Hopefully Griffin (and a new DC?) brings players here

Awesome sigs by mike23md
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallace will want Fitz type money.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:

Bingo!

Need to spread that money out. Gather as much quality talent as possible. Especially with being cap hit and having a few guys to resign.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
well he isn't getting it. No one is king to pay him that kind of $ and if they do, we just won't match it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Dro wrote:
well he isn't getting it. No one is king to pay him that kind of $ and if they do, we just won't match it.

just setting you up for what will happen.
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:

True, he may not get Fitz money but will want more than we can pay.

Plan B?

Awesome sigs by mike23md
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will get more money than Vincent Jachson, and we cant afford that. I think the money would be better spent else where. I would love to get DRC from philly, and I think he would be less than Wallace.
lavar703

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give him the same deal we gave Pierre Garcon but nothing more. We can't afford to have to much money tied up in the receiver position.

RIP Sean Taylor "Forever a Redskin"
markrc99

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no 1st RD pick and the cap penalty, Charlie Casserly was asked how do they get it done? He said that they needed to be diligent to find value. That given the cap was going to remain flat, a lot of teams will be tightening their spending habits. That may work to the Redskins advantage. Meaning there may be a surplus of talent available. What might hurt them is that while there has always been a salary cap, in 2013 there will now be a floor. High revenue owners like Snyder & Jones were fed up with small market owners taking shared revenue, meant to help them remain competitive and simply pocketing it. So now there'll be a minimum each team must spend, which may mean more teams competing for the same players.

I too think Wallace is a fine player but believe the team will place their focus elsewhere. I also agree that this team simply can't afford to carry guys like De' Hall, Moss & yes, London Fletcher. One thing that'll help & this has been mentioned elsewhere, is that when a team comes in under the cap, that savings can be credited or carried over to the following year. My understanding is that since the Redskins were going to end up somewhere between $4 & $5M under the this year's cap, next year's penalty would be between $13 & $14M, rather than $18M. Of course, that was before they brought Cooley back & some of these other moves of late.

Last edited by markrc99 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
FosterTheSkins

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
I would give him the same deal we gave Pierre Garcon but nothing more. We can't afford to have to much money tied up in the receiver position.

Exactly. The last thing the Skins need is another Haynseworth scenario. Tying up almost all their cap into one player and neglecting all the other holes on the team.

It'd be nice if he lands here but he's not worth breaking the bank to get.
Better run better run faster than RG3.
footy_29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a chance.

I see the logic - vertical threat who can take the top off any defense, and he's still young so his best years could be ahead of him - but he wants a huge contract and frankly I do not think he is a great locker room addition.

He's a ME player first and foremost, and this team has done a great job of moving away from those players. DeAngelo Hall is the last of them that I can think of.

I am 95% sure that the team does not express any interest.

Blknite01's masterpiece
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Dro wrote:

just setting you up for what will happen.
oh I totally understand man. He did try that last year though and instead he's getting paid 2
Million while Antonio Brown signed the 40 million dollar deal that Wallace turned down. Hopefully, that taught Mike a lesson.
rizzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we even need him? Our offense moves fine without Garcon. Lets get Garcon back and see how much of an improvement we have.
NHL-Capitals
mike23md

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with Mike Wallace last year was that he was a RFA. And his tender was set high. This year, he will be a UFA and while he is having a good year, is it enough to substantiate Fitzgerald money? I don't think so. He doesn't have the leverage.

Will he be cheap. No, but addressing the salary cap floor does become a bit of a problem when it comes to seeing if the Skins can get a deal out of him. This means that a lot of the higher quality FA's are going to get offers from teams that normally wouldnt spend to get above the salary cap floor. Which now makes this a real crap shoot in who is going to overspend on a player to get above the salary cap floor and take away players that could actually be available to teams that actually need them.

Then there is the attitude. This is where his leverage is lost. No teams are really willing to deal with a ME player and that is going to hurt the amount of money he could have made.

His talent, however, is hard to pass up and the ability to stretch the defense makes him very desirable. Having RGIII here could also make D.C. a potential landing spot. There is excitement surrounding the Skins right now.

Do I agree with going full bore on a WR when we signed 2 last year? No. But that is about a 60-40 no. Josh Morgan is NOT a #2 and is struggling to be a #3. Hankerson has apparently proven he can be a starter but he has yet to show quality production. Dez Briscoe and Aldrick Robinson should be the 4th and 5th WR's respectively and Banks should be gone. Moss will be let go as well.

The key to signing Mike Wallace would be the ability to stretch the field and open up that run game. Morris has been superb this season and his vision is exceptional. Having Garcon, Wallace, and Davis on the field, with Morgan in the slot, will seriously help the run game, the development of RGIII into a pocket passer, and the team overall.

But, with all seriousness involved here, the defense cannot and should not be ignored. It is time step away from Fletcher and Hall. Bring is a guy like Byrd who is dependable and look to the draft to get some young guys in that secondary.

Possible CB FA's:
Sam Shields
Jason McCourtey
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Possible S FA not named Byrd:
Kenny Phillips

And maybe Andre Smith for the RT spot.

2014 FFMD Redskins Assistant to the General Manager
2014 NFL Mock Draft
REDSKINS WAR ROOM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: