Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cooley and the reduced role: "it's just fine"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Cooley and the reduced role: "it's just fine" Reply with quote

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/cooley-reduced-role-im-handling-it-just-fine

Quote:
Against the Steelers, Cooley started and played 19 snaps on offense. Making his first appearance in an NFL game in 53 weeks, Cooley was targeted by Griffin once and did not catch the pass.

Against the Panthers, Cooley played only 10 snaps nine fewer than Niles Paul and 69 fewer than Paulsen. Again, Cooley was targeted just once and finished without a reception.

"I'm extremely competitive, and I want to be on the field all the time and I have a ton of confidence in what I can do as a football player," Cooley said. "But I'm also a part of this team. To make a team as good as it can, you have to understand where you are and understand your role and contribute in whatever role you can help."

I'm glad he's around. I'm not sure it will last past this year but I'm glad he's at least come back from that knee injury to contribute some to the team.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooley has been one of my favs since draft day.. ,,but it was right to cut him .. I think his tank is empty. I think there has be a better option , a younger, stronger, faster, better blocker guy out there. and I'm tired of losing with him, Moss and Fletcher. I'll be dissappointed if any are on the team next yaer..
If we we are destined to be losers for years to come -- let's lose young and cheap..but have hope!
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Cooley has been one of my favs since draft day.. ,,but it was right to cut him .. I think his tank is empty. I think there has to be a better option , a younger, stronger, faster, better blocker guy out there. and I'm tired of losing with him, Moss and Fletcher. I'll be dissappointed if any are on the team next year..

If we we are destined to be losers for years to come -- let's lose young and cheap..but have hope!

I do agree that it was right to cut Cooley. The younger guys are doing just fine and have a bright future.

As for is there a better guy out there for out team right now, I'd have to say no. He is cheap now and he brings teaching and leadership to Logan and Niles, that's something another guy wouldn't. We need to have a guy there who can do all he can and teach the young guys. Cooley has said he wants to do that and he is doing that. So, in that respect, we need him.

We aren't destined to be losers for years to come. We just had bad luck with injuries this year, like more that usual and our back ups are very young and developing or very old and done in a few spots.

We have Griffin, Morris and other young talent on both sides of the ball. I think we are almost there. I think next year will be a much better year for us and we will push for a playoff spot.

I do not expect Cooley, Fletcher, Brown, moss or Hall to be on next years roster. Nor Madieu Williams, Golston nor Doughty.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

I do not expect Cooley, Fletcher, Brown, moss or Hall to be on next years roster. Nor Madieu Williams, Golston nor Doughty.

I hope you're right about this list except for Brown..He's 31. I hope he still might give us a coupla good seasosn..
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I hope you're right about this list except for Brown..He's 31. I hope he still might give us a coupla good seasosn..

I think that Doughty will be a good back up. But we have to have a young SS come in and play the position. Having Doughty as the starter is not the best choice, but is a serviceable back up.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

the dude can't run a sprint without re-agrivating his hip. No way should he be on our roster in 2013. He should be a June 1st cut.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I think that Doughty will be a good back up. But we have to have a young SS come in and play the position. Having Doughty as the starter is not the best choice, but is a serviceable back up.
i could be wrong, but I stilly believe that SS is the best position suited for Gomes. He is a tough tackler, good blitzer. He struggles in coverage, I don't see him as a free safety at all.

Last edited by turtle28 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Dashing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Release Cooley please my goodness.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
and sign who?

mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:

It has been 2 games since he returned and coming off the bye week against the Eagles might be what he needed to actually show that he still has something.

You give up on people way to quickly.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
DCRED

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="turtle28"]
Quote:
i could be wrong, but I stilly believe that SS is the best position suited for Gomes. He is a tough tackler, good blitzer. He struggles in coverage, I don't see him as a free safety at all.

Agreed on Gomes. He has made some good plays in coverage but is better near the line. And is as serviceable in coverage as you would expect from a SS, not a FS... Just wish he had some help behind him and I think he would do fine...
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Dashing wrote:

It has been 2 games since he returned and coming off the bye week against the Eagles might be what he needed to actually show that he still has something.

not only that but he missed most of last year with his knee injury. It will take him a few weeks to get back into it. He's a great guy, has tons of experience in the league and in this offense, he's a leader and teacher. If he does nothing else at least he provides those things to Logan and Niles.

turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Quote:

Agreed on Gomes. He has made some good plays in coverage but is better near the line. And is as serviceable in coverage as you would expect from a SS, not a FS... Just wish he had some help behind him and I think he would do fine...
we need a "Byrd" to fly in to DC during free agency. Wink

Dashing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Any body!!!! we dont even use our two TE sets good any ways im sick of having him on the team he is washed up and done lets stop living in the past he is injured and older and worn out Like hes only back because he knows the system and the fans love him other wise if i was GM id be best off giving a younger or veteran TE a chance that isn't injured or worn out .
Dashing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Dashing wrote:

LOL yes because he will be the CHris Cooley of 05-07 . Dude he is done and are reasons why nobody wanted him but us he is slower and his catching been so up and down since 010 .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: