You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft- Quarterback Discussion.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: 2013 NFL Draft- Quarterback Discussion. Reply with quote

Mike Glennon N.C. State
H: 6-6 1/4
W: 235
40: 5.05
NC: Drew Bledsoe

Wolfpack Coach Tom O'Brien replaced Russell Wilson with Mike Glennon in 2011. The highly touted recruit was ready for the starters role. Operating in a Pro Style Offense, Glennon displays consistent footwork in 3-5-7 step drops. Shows tremendous pocket presence, sliding to evade pressure while keeping his eyes down field. The arm strength is the best attribute- It's Elite. Throwing mechanics are refined, exhibits a quick release from a 3/4s arm slot.

Prior to to 2008 draft, Matt Ryan was knocked for his Interceptions & completion percentage (59.3%). Glennon faced similar obstacles at N.C. State to Ryan at BC. Both faced talented opponents on a weekly basis with inferior teams talent wise. To compete, Glennon forced the ball into tight coverage consistently. His receiving corps simply could not create separation. Unlike Ryan, Glennon has the elite vertical passing arm teams covet.

Recent success of mobile Quarterbacks has overvalued that attribute. Successful offenses are implementing combinations of West Coast intermediate passing principles with Air Coryell vertical routes. Spread Style Quarterbacks are not asked to read defenses, keep safeties in the middle of the field, or make adjustments at the line of scrimmage at the College level. The proliferation of the Spread is evident, but NFL QBs must make pre-snap reads, go through progressions and deliver the football. Quarterbacks that cannot diagnose defenses pre-snap and read progressions are liabilities in the NFL (Mark Sanchez).

RGII, the most hyped QB of the season, is operating in an Offense that puts pressure on the LBs & Safeties with the play action. Thus, he is not asked to drop back in the pocket, read through progressions and deliver the ball. When does RGIII struggle? When teams do not have to respect the run late in the game. Mike Shanahan is doing a tremendous job with RGIII, but Luck's success and struggles in Indianapolis are derived from his operating in a conventional Pro Style scheme. With Glennon, you have a prospect that can make all the throws, he has experience in the Pro Style Offense, and he's just tapping his potential.

Tyler Wilson Arkansas
H: 6-1 3/4
W: 225
NC: Tony Romo

Battled adversity following the firing of Bobby Petrino, Wilson is a competitor that has good arm strength, football instincts, and accuracy. Will have to improve footwork, throwing mechanics, and ball protection to succeed at the next level.

Struggled in 2012 after the departure of virtually his entire receiver corps aside from Cobi Hamilton. The question is do Scouts evaluate the Junior Tape that culminated in a Cotton Bowl Victory or do they focus on the Senior Tape? Similar to Romo in his ability to move in the pocket and open throwing lanes. For this reason, his lack of ideal height is less of a concern.

Wilson's injury history, specifically concussions, is a major cause for concern. That being said, he's the second rated QB in the class because of his experience in the SEC and tools. Having operated in a QB friendly scheme, he could draw comparisons to Brian Brohm leading up to the draft. However, he has the potential of being a Franchise Quarterback.

Geno Smith West Virginia
H: 6-3
W: 215
NC: Randall Cunnigham

Geno Smith possesses tremendous upside with his blend of athleticism, arm strength and accuracy. Dana Holgersen has a track record of producing elite College Quarterbacks, but his guys have no transitioned to the NFL. The system inflates Quarterbacks stats, and does not require progression reads, manipulation of the defense (keeping the safety in the middle of the field), and the throw is often determined by the Pre-Snap read.

NFL Coaches are weary of Spread Quarterbacks, and recent years show the best prospects are ones that also possess real athleticism. The transition won't be easy for Geno Smith, but with the right coach he can utilize his assets to Win on a consistent basis.

Geno has the arm strength to stretch defenses vertically, and he already shows great touch on the deep ball. His ball placement has drastically improved and he's continuing to develop his mechanics. The ball comes out quick and he's going to make plays outside the pocket. Geno must find a situation that maximizes his ability and a Coach that is a flexible and ideally offensive minded.

Matt Barkley USC
H: 6-2
W: 230
40: 4.85
NC: Undetermined

With the shoulder injury, Barkley's greatest question mark is magnified- his arm strength. Barkley has the intangible, experience, and accuracy to succeed in the league. The real question is will he be limited to an exclusively West Coast intermediate offensive system?

That question mark cannot be emphasized enough in todays NFL. Barkley's arm strength is superior to USC predecessor Mark Sanchez, but it's not the caliber of Matthew Stafford or even Tony Romo. I think a better comparison is Matt Schaub, who at times has difficulty fitting the ball into tight windows.

NFL Scouts constantly say in passing, "Has the arm to make all the NFL throws." With Barkley, I'm not positive he can throw the Deep Corner, Deep Post, or Sideline from the opposite hash. Barkley has two options. Option 1 is do not throw at the combine, blow away NFL Personnel in the individual meetings and on the chalk board, and ultimately throw at a Pro Day for NFL teams. Option 2 is compete at the combine and lessen concerns about the arm strength. If he chooses the latter, I would be thoroughly impressed.

Beyond the arm strength, Barkley lacks elite athleticism, has injury history, and he failed to live up to expectations in his Senior Year. For these reasons, his stock is slipping- but he'll have the opportunity to answer his critics.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno Smith's comparison is Randall Cunningham?

That can't be right. They absolutely play nothing alike.
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Glennon's footwork is pretty bad, I'm assuming you haven't seen many of these guys play?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Mike Glennon's footwork is pretty bad, I'm assuming you haven't seen many of these guys play?

Yet again, no it isn't.

I hate the Jaguars
Mr. V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 5:

1. Tyler Wilson
2. Geno Smith
3. David Fales
4. Mike Glennon
5. Matt Barkley

I've only watched these 5 QBs extensively though

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

Yet again, no it isn't.

Yes it is, watch the film. He doesn't transfer his weight consistently, especially when he has to reset his feet which is one of the reasons why he's not very good in the short passing game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:

Yet again, no it isn't.

Yes it is, watch the film. He doesn't transfer his weight consistently, especially when he has to reset his feet which is one of the reasons why he's not very good in the short passing game.

Show me the tape. Give me liiinnnnkkkkssss

I hate the Jaguars
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Nassib is flying up draft boards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:

I'm on my phone but if you YouTube his name a bunch of tape comes up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

I know. I've watched all the tape.
I want examples of his poor footwork.

I hate the Jaguars
Reality_Check

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

I'm not a Glennon fan in the least, but I'd like to see these alleged examples as well.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality_Check wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

I'm not a Glennon fan in the least, but I'd like to see these alleged examples as well.

Glennon's tape is extraordinary. The arm strength is unparalleled in this class. His footwork is drastically improved, and can be seen in the Miami or UNC game. Watch the 4 Games on YouTube that show him making all the throws. It's why he's the top QB in this class.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality_Check wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

I guess once in a while he'll have some slip-ups or some "happy feet" in the pocket, but I doubt its really any worse than the top QB prospects (Smith, Wilson, Barkley).
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're allowing his lack of RGIII athleticism to cloud our evaluations with Glennon.

-Barkley does not have the arm to make all the NFL throws. He's an exclusively WCO Quarterback that will allow Defenses to stack the box against the Run Game.

- Wilson will rise the most, as it always happens with CAA Clients. He's got a history of concussions, but he's the most NFL ready of the 3 "Top" prospects.

- Geno Smith is not RGIII. And even RGIII, he's operating in a complete gimmick offense that doesn't require reading progressions.

Glennon has done what NFL Offenses require (Sorry Geno) with subpar talent. He actually has an arm (Sorry Barkley) & he's physically more gifted than Tyler Wilson.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Reality_Check wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Bo_Spice wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:

I guess once in a while he'll have some slip-ups or some "happy feet" in the pocket, but I doubt its really any worse than the top QB prospects (Smith, Wilson, Barkley).

Geno Smith has pretty terrible footwork, so Glennon's is definitely better than Geno's.

I hate the Jaguars

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: