Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

Bergstrom's practicing at RT now? Since when? Didn't we draft him to play LG? Not too encouraging of a sign that he couldn't snatch that job away from Coop.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
Dessie wrote:
Next man up as they say. Bryant is going to start. Maybe an indicator for things to come ?

Theres nobody else behind Seymour except for Bilukidi

I don't think Bryant starting is an indication to come as there is a disconnect between RaiderNation and the rest of the world, by all accounts Seymour is playing respectfully making Honorable Mention for Mid-Season All-Pro. Seymour can still bring in spots. As with most aging elite veterans, when Seymour spends more time of the trainers table than the field then the Raiders will cut bait. From time to time Seymour will miss games due to his balky knee. However, I see one more season for Seymour if his knee holds up, not because of his play (although there will obviously be another dip next season) but because of the knee.

RaiderX wrote:
Dessie wrote:
Quote:
Willie Smith starting at right offensive tackle for the #Raiders on Sunday, coach Dennis Allen said. Khalif Barnes still not ready to play.

Not sure that is good news either or maybe a sign that Bergstrom isn't ready yet.

Bergstrom was working at RT during practice. My feeling is once Willie struggles in the game, the staff will put in Bergstrom.

I'd like to make two points:
Willie represents another one of McKenzie value-based additions and was recognized as a smart waiver-wire pickup. All of these value-based decisions will not pan out, however let us not discount the fact that at the time the consensus was widely respected. I'm frustrated with Willie as well but I'm hoping he can develop into a future swing OT.
I consider mid-rounders more value than most. I think that most are under the impression that these prospects are more guess work than educated selections. These kinds of prospects are obviously flawed but often find success if they can be pared with the right system to accentuate their strengths. The problem is rarely do these 2 factors meet.
Bergstrom has 2 red flags that concern me:

1) JMVHO, however it has been my personal experience that when a late round rookie fails to contribute when injuries press them into action it's a bad sign. Examples of mid/late rd rookies that look promising when forced into action: Veldheer, Burris, DMo. Examples of ones that left you scratching your head as to why they never earned a start: B.Campbell, T.Jones, Bergstrom.

2) OL flip-flopping: Leaves me with the feeling that here's a prospect without a home a la Bruce Campbell. Bergstrom isn't even rotating in at OG, the position he was drafted for yet he's been mysteriously moved to the more challenging position of OT. Being unable to contribute behind Carlisle or Willie is a bad sign to me. Bergs is a LG, no RG, no RT, not good.

I know what what some will say, "Give Bergs more time he was a late 3rd". You ALWAYS say that. These are same folks still waiting on Bruce Campbell. I'm waiting but I don't have high expectations. . . .
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
Bergstrom's practicing at RT now? Since when? Didn't we draft him to play LG? Not too encouraging of a sign that he couldn't snatch that job away from Coop.

Pretty sure RT is his natural position. And Willie Smith sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make or brake for Taiwan Jones if he can't play good hes gone next year he maybe forced to play a few games though he can finally be evaluated which is a great thing for Reggie. Very Happy

I hope he does well the kid has all the skillz in the world he just needs to beef up a little.Very Happy
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:

He was the #95 pick in the draft. Expecting him to replace a vet guard with years of experience in a ZBS is misguided.

Oh and what up BayArea07. Everything has become clear now. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Willie Smith is starting at right tackle, again... really makes me question this coaching staff.
Raidin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawsonleery wrote:
The fact that Willie Smith is starting at right tackle, again... really makes me question this coaching staff.

Why? If in practice Bergstorm is getting beaten more than Smith then how can the coaching staff make the switch?
Darkness

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

He was the #95 pick in the draft. Expecting him to replace a vet guard with years of experience in a ZBS is misguided.

What I meant to ask is if the staff is giving up on the idea of him at LG, or only doing it temporarily?

Not sure what the 2nd part of your post means.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

What I meant to ask is if the staff is giving up on the idea of him at LG, or only doing it temporarily?

I don't think so. He's all that's left at RT with his past experience and Barnes not ready to hit the fied yet. Bergstrom is versatile so he'll be ready. Just have to hope Carlisle doesn't get hurt.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

When the OG plays as poorly as Carlisle the minimum expectation is that Bergstrom be a contributor at the position he was drafted at considering he was "best ZBS interior OL in the draft". Now the guy who was the catalyst for Bergs being drafted makes a conspicuous exit and Bergs is moved back to a position with a higher learning curve where the consensus was that Bergs would be unsuccessful.

The only justification for reaching on an older prospect is the expectation of return sooner especially considering there are a number of prospects who could either be contributing or developing at positions of need (ie. CB).
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

You know Wink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

You know Wink

Actually I don't. lol Care to explain?
Darkness

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

When the OG plays as poorly as Carlisle the minimum expectation is that Bergstrom be a contributor at the position he was drafted at considering he was "best ZBS interior OL in the draft". Now the guy who was the catalyst for Bergs being drafted makes a conspicuous exit and Bergs is moved back to a position with a higher learning curve where the consensus was that Bergs would be unsuccessful.

The only justification for reaching on an older prospect is the expectation of return sooner especially considering there are a number of prospects who could either be contributing or developing at positions of need (ie. CB).

This is my line of thinking too. He's still only a rookie despite his age, but switching positions midway through the season doesn't seem like a good sign. Who knows though.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

You know Wink

This is exactly how Bay would respond to something like this too Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: DMC Goodson and Big Rich out on Sunday Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Darkness wrote:

You know Wink

This is exactly how Bay would respond to something like this too Laughing

You think I'm another poster from this site?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: