Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How soon until Space Colonization is a viable reality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:
What about the super earths?

http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2012/11/09/new-super-earth-may-be-just-right-to-support-life/

Quote:
An international team of astronomers says it has found a new planet – a relatively near 42 light years away – that could have liquid water and an Earth-like climate.

The dwarf star known as HD 40307 was already known to have three planets orbiting it. Using a new and more sensitive technique for analyzing the light emitted by the star, the scientists identified three additional planets.

Two orbit with the original three, close in to the star. The third, with a mass seven times that of Earth, circles in what's called the “habitable zone.” That's the just-right distance from a star where temperatures on an orbiting planet are neither too hot nor too cold for liquid water to exist – a widely accepted requirement for life as we know it.

There are other articles like that. That being the most recent one I've seen. There are more planets in the habitable zone that could actually be able to sustain human life. Biggest problem being the distance away. I've seen articles in the past also about "super earths" and there's a bunch that have been found already so eventually humans may take a shot at trying to send something/someone there.

I'm not a scientist or astrologist or whatever. I'm just going by what I've read in articles.
I wonder if there are humans there that don't know about us. Maybe they've depleted their planet like we have too.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
x0x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
PantherDE90 wrote:
Well, looking at projections of what the population will be in say 2020 it's supposed to rise about 700 million. Most people would be right in finding a solution fast. 4-5 years probably won't be enough but if the population gets to high Earths resources will deplete and we'll all be screwed. Super Earths are a long term solution for sure. I'm not sure how terraforming works or takes but that seems like a more likely solution for the forseeable future. It's gonna be interesting to see how all this unfolds when it happens. Whenever that may be.

As it was brought up in past pages the most likely thing we would do is move people into the desert and terraform that first ... if the population was still rapidly increasing we would move out into the oceans and start building cities there.

If there were still a problem of over population laws would be implemented to limit one child per person ... while its not the most humane thing to do its the most likely outcome.

After all these things have happened I highly doubt we would have an over population problem.

And what you said about resources may be true ... there wont be any life sustaining resources (food/water) that we would travel to.

More likely (really out there idea) we would build a "farm" on the moon if we somehow ran out of space here on earth

To be fair.

It is largely the underdeveloped impoverished countries that are overcrowded.

For all their advances the past 20 years, India and China should still be classified as quite poor and thus the over-population doesn't really affect the developed world.

If by 2050, Africa has 4 Billion people, it won't affect Canada too much...etc
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least 500, if not thousands of years. Space colonization will have more walls than you would think about.
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I think if we ever do, it'll be pretty far into the future. First of all, to even colonize anything, you have to have infrastructure set up well in advance. Seeing as we haven't even had a person set foot on Mars yet, just that small step will still take a good while. Then all of the research, planning, sending people/supplies to even build the very first thing on the planets, make it sustainable for breathing, etc. Then, of course, factor in people who would want to move somewhere like that, where a leak could cause them death, with nothing to do on the planet, etc... It's just not really all that viable.

If they wanted to start colonizing an area that is not currently hospitable, that you have to overcome many challenges to provide the resources for sustained life, etc -- they'd just start moving people to the big deserts we have all over the Earth. Same concepts, but oxygen supply is already there, and it takes just a tad bit less time to get supplies there than it does Mars Wink

Terraforming is probably one of the hardest obstacles to overcome. I mean theoretically you could just live in bubbles, but they are too prone to failure for my liking.
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we kept farting on Mars, would it be possible that we create enough methane to create a greenhouse effect?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would honestly rather colonize the oceans.

MoJo122-b-21 on the Sig
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as NBT is president. Wink

Cant wait to expand our markets to outer space - the next frontier! Bring on the aliens, as long as they buy American!
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Green90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
PantherDE90 wrote:
Well, looking at projections of what the population will be in say 2020 it's supposed to rise about 700 million. Most people would be right in finding a solution fast. 4-5 years probably won't be enough but if the population gets to high Earths resources will deplete and we'll all be screwed. Super Earths are a long term solution for sure. I'm not sure how terraforming works or takes but that seems like a more likely solution for the forseeable future. It's gonna be interesting to see how all this unfolds when it happens. Whenever that may be.

As it was brought up in past pages the most likely thing we would do is move people into the desert and terraform that first ... if the population was still rapidly increasing we would move out into the oceans and start building cities there.

If there were still a problem of over population laws would be implemented to limit one child per person ... while its not the most humane thing to do its the most likely outcome.

After all these things have happened I highly doubt we would have an over population problem.

And what you said about resources may be true ... there wont be any life sustaining resources (food/water) that we would travel to.

More likely (really out there idea) we would build a "farm" on the moon if we somehow ran out of space here on earth

To be fair.

It is largely the underdeveloped impoverished countries that are overcrowded.

For all their advances the past 20 years, India and China should still be classified as quite poor and thus the over-population doesn't really affect the developed world.

If by 2050, Africa has 4 Billion people, it won't affect Canada too much...etc

Yes, a large majority of the post industrialized countries have birth rates actually below sustainable population rates. It's just that Africa as a whole, and countries like India, China, etc. just have exploding birth rates.
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

Cant wait to expand our markets to outer space - the next frontier! Bring on the aliens, as long as they buy American!

If that happens we'll all be saying - as long as they buy human!

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
FuhZee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on when/if we ever get Fusion Power and can use Helium-3 as a fuel. That's when we'll make a push for asteroid mining or mining at the southern pole of the moon. There doesn't seem to be much focus on expanding our space capabilities at the moment. I don't think we'll see colony ships sent to extra-solar planets anytime within the next 200 years, if ever. Unless there are wormholes and the fabric of space-time is able to be manipulated by us, I can't see much reason to attempt something like that.

I do think Venus would be a viable site for colonization. Outside of the moon, it's the easiest planet to get to, and communication would be much better than on Mars. The Gravity wouldn't be as damaging(if at all) to our bodies as it would be on Mars. The atmosphere of Venus would be the easiest place to colonize as it's temperature is the same as on Earth and the pressure is the same.
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

Would you buy a caveman's rock wheel for your car? Didn't think so.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuhZee wrote:
I do think Venus would be a viable site for colonization. The atmosphere of Venus would be the easiest place to colonize as it's temperature is the same as on Earth and the pressure is the same.

whaaaaat? Venus is EXTREMELY inhospitable to us and is unlikely to ever be visited by humans, let alone colonized.

Venus has the densest atmosphere of the four terrestrial planets, consisting mostly of carbon dioxide. The atmospheric pressure at the planet's surface is 92 times that of Earth's. The CO2-rich atmosphere, along with thick clouds of sulfur dioxide, generates the strongest greenhouse effect in the Solar System, creating surface temperatures of at least 462 °C (864 °F). Venusian winds move at up to 60 times the speed of the planet's rotation, while Earth's fastest winds are only 10% to 20% rotation speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus

so there's that....

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
FuhZee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
FuhZee wrote:
I do think Venus would be a viable site for colonization. The atmosphere of Venus would be the easiest place to colonize as it's temperature is the same as on Earth and the pressure is the same.

whaaaaat? Venus is EXTREMELY inhospitable to us and is unlikely to ever be visited by humans, let alone colonized.

Venus has the densest atmosphere of the four terrestrial planets, consisting mostly of carbon dioxide. The atmospheric pressure at the planet's surface is 92 times that of Earth's. The CO2-rich atmosphere, along with thick clouds of sulfur dioxide, generates the strongest greenhouse effect in the Solar System, creating surface temperatures of at least 462 °C (864 °F). Venusian winds move at up to 60 times the speed of the planet's rotation, while Earth's fastest winds are only 10% to 20% rotation speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus

so there's that....

Check the bolded.

From Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Venus)

"At an altitude of 50 km above Venusian surface, the environment is the most Earth-like in the solar system – a pressure of approximately 1 bar and temperatures in the 0°C–50°C range."
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... you're proposing that a viable place for us to colonize off-Earth would be 50km above a planet's surface...?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
texans_uk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
http://www.space.com/16907-what-is-the-temperature-of-mars.html
Quote:
Mars's atmosphere is about 100 times thinner than Earth's. Without a "thermal blanket," Mars can't retain any heat energy. On average, the temperature on Mars is about minus 80 degrees F (minus 60 degrees C). In winter, near the poles temperatures can get down to minus 195 degrees F (minus 125 degrees C). A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) near the equator, but at night the temperature can plummet to about minus 100 degrees F (minus 73 C). Frost forms on the rocks at night, but as dawn approaches and the air gets warmer, the frost turns to vapor, and there is 100 percent humidity until it evaporates.

Nope.

That sounds awesome, running home from school in the summer so you don't freeze to death.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: