Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How soon until Space Colonization is a viable reality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:
I remember working out a problem recently that essentially showed to make a conventional space ship travel at a mere 3/10 the speed of light (still approx 100000000 meters per second, mind you), it would take almost as much energy as the Earth produces in a day to make a ship travel at that speed for just a few seconds.

Getting a space ship to get moving that fast is not an issue (due to the lack of drag). Simply a solar sail could easily do that with no energy needing to be provided. The issue is getting something up to speed quickly.

Hmm, last I heard, we couldn't get anything to even go .1c

Regardless, the issue again comes from energy. Right now, we simply don't have the energy source to generate that kind of power. Like I said in a previous post, it's probably going to be a step or two beyond self sustaining nuclear fusion, which we haven't quite mastered yet IIRC.

We aren't even close, we can only do very small scale nuclear fusion in a lab.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
x0x

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all out technological advances, people don't seem to grasp that the concept of colonization is very time consuming and even though we build skyscrapers at a faster rate than farms, it doesn't mean space colonization will come easy.

Probably 150 years before we see significant colonization.

Simply because economic demand is not there yet.

Right now, Mars doesn't seem to have many useful resources, Deuterium is the popular one but we're far away from really being so hungry for it that we'd be raising colonies just to ship it.

Terraforming is most likely the way of the future, and indeed we may create advanced technology that could terraform planets like Mars into more Earth-like in 1-300 years.

But again, people jump too quickly.

People growing up from the time period of 1940-1970 also thought we'd have space colonization within a lifetime.

Hell, have you guys read science fiction novels written in the early 20th century?

To people of the 1950s, 2012 is pretty freaking boring. Internet notwithstanding....
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
milanb wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
42 light years is relatively small, when i've read that our galaxy itself is 100,000 light years long, compared to the known universe which itself is supposedly 100 billion light years. So 42? Almost like a cakewalk.

as you are discovering, 42 LY is a tiny distance in the cosmic road map, but an enormous one for our present technology, or anything immediately foreseable.

our Moon is about 2 light seconds away, our Sun is about eight light minutes away. 42 years is an enormous distance to transit, not to mention what support help would there be from an Earth command base if a one-time back and forth conversation would take 84 years to complete?

Even if you could travel at anything close to the speed of light, time would slow down around you and you could be thousands of years into the future by the time you reached your destination.

Explain this to me? How does that work?

It's part of Einstein's theory of relativity. Pretty much, the faster you go, the more time slows down in your frame of reference, even though everything appears normal to you. Another cool thing is the faster you're moving, the more objects appear to contract to you. So much so that if you're moving really fast, a 10 meter pole can appear to be mere centimeters. Now, these are mostly thought experiments, since you'd really never be able to perform such a measurement at such a speed.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so weird thinking about other planets. Are there any planets that we could live on without making space bubbles to live in? Do some of you find it weird that only earth has forms of life on it?

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ uh oh...

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
It's so weird thinking about other planets. Are there any planets that we could live on without making space bubbles to live in? Do some of you find it weird that only earth has forms of life on it?
Nope and nope. It logically makes sense that the percentage of habitable planted wouldn't be high.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the super earths?

http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2012/11/09/new-super-earth-may-be-just-right-to-support-life/

Quote:
An international team of astronomers says it has found a new planet – a relatively near 42 light years away – that could have liquid water and an Earth-like climate.

The dwarf star known as HD 40307 was already known to have three planets orbiting it. Using a new and more sensitive technique for analyzing the light emitted by the star, the scientists identified three additional planets.

Two orbit with the original three, close in to the star. The third, with a mass seven times that of Earth, circles in what's called the “habitable zone.” That's the just-right distance from a star where temperatures on an orbiting planet are neither too hot nor too cold for liquid water to exist – a widely accepted requirement for life as we know it.

There are other articles like that. That being the most recent one I've seen. There are more planets in the habitable zone that could actually be able to sustain human life. Biggest problem being the distance away. I've seen articles in the past also about "super earths" and there's a bunch that have been found already so eventually humans may take a shot at trying to send something/someone there.

I'm not a scientist or astrologist or whatever. I'm just going by what I've read in articles.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:

http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2012/11/09/new-super-earth-may-be-just-right-to-support-life/

Quote:
An international team of astronomers says it has found a new planet – a relatively near 42 light years away – that could have liquid water and an Earth-like climate.

The dwarf star known as HD 40307 was already known to have three planets orbiting it. Using a new and more sensitive technique for analyzing the light emitted by the star, the scientists identified three additional planets.

Two orbit with the original three, close in to the star. The third, with a mass seven times that of Earth, circles in what's called the “habitable zone.” That's the just-right distance from a star where temperatures on an orbiting planet are neither too hot nor too cold for liquid water to exist – a widely accepted requirement for life as we know it.

There are other articles like that. That being the most recent one I've seen. There are more planets in the habitable zone that could actually be able to sustain human life. Biggest problem being the distance away. I've seen articles in the past also about "super earths" and there's a bunch that have been found already so eventually humans may take a shot at trying to send something/someone there.

I'm not a scientist or astrologist or whatever. I'm just going by what I've read in articles.

The thing about super earths is that it would take lifetimes to get there.

Most people are looking for a right there kinda move ... one that would at most take 4-5 years to transfer a large group of people.

Not a Knicks fan
x0x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
PantherDE90 wrote:

Quote:

Most people are looking for a right there kinda move ... one that would at most take 4-5 years to transfer a large group of people.

And thus, we enter, StarGate.

But seriously yeah. It's weird for us to think about it, but if we do make contact with other planets with intelligent life, it will take astronaughts in sleep chambers for maybe a hundred years to reach.

The Aliens franchise does a pretty decent job at it.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
And thus, we enter, StarGate.

But seriously yeah. It's weird for us to think about it, but if we do make contact with other planets with intelligent life, it will take astronaughts in sleep chambers for maybe a hundred years to reach.

The Aliens franchise does a pretty decent job at it.

Dont forget about HAL ... never forget about HAL

Not a Knicks fan
Tooki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:

Definitely, but it goes beyond just being in the 'habitable zone'. There are other factors like distance and even just tiny variances like the concentration of oxygen in the air.
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
PantherDE90 wrote:

Quote:

Well, looking at projections of what the population will be in say 2020 it's supposed to rise about 700 million. Most people would be right in finding a solution fast. 4-5 years probably won't be enough but if the population gets to high Earths resources will deplete and we'll all be screwed. Super Earths are a long term solution for sure. I'm not sure how terraforming works or takes but that seems like a more likely solution for the forseeable future. It's gonna be interesting to see how all this unfolds when it happens. Whenever that may be.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PantherDE90 wrote:
Well, looking at projections of what the population will be in say 2020 it's supposed to rise about 700 million. Most people would be right in finding a solution fast. 4-5 years probably won't be enough but if the population gets to high Earths resources will deplete and we'll all be screwed. Super Earths are a long term solution for sure. I'm not sure how terraforming works or takes but that seems like a more likely solution for the forseeable future. It's gonna be interesting to see how all this unfolds when it happens. Whenever that may be.

As it was brought up in past pages the most likely thing we would do is move people into the desert and terraform that first ... if the population was still rapidly increasing we would move out into the oceans and start building cities there.

If there were still a problem of over population laws would be implemented to limit one child per person ... while its not the most humane thing to do its the most likely outcome.

After all these things have happened I highly doubt we would have an over population problem.

And what you said about resources may be true ... there wont be any life sustaining resources (food/water) that we would travel to.

More likely (really out there idea) we would build a "farm" on the moon if we somehow ran out of space here on earth

Not a Knicks fan
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Will never happen. How would anyone get the money for it??

Never say never.

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
justo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be colonized until rich people can live on Mars while the rest of the Earth is slaving away to fund them. #SciFi
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: