Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How soon until Space Colonization is a viable reality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Ataal wrote:
I don't think we colonize any planet in our solar system. It will be a planet from somewhere else that matches Earth better. But, this will be hundreds of years from now.

Agreed on a new solar system and agreed on the timeline.

I don't quite get this...

You're saying that you think in hundreds of years from now, you think we'll be able to colonize a planet in another solar system.

Yet your example is a planet is 42 light years away.

Unless you expect our average lifespan to nearly triple in "hundreds of years", it's going to take people essentially sacrificing their lives and reproducing on the way in order for people to make it there and have any sort of ability to sustain our species.

Highly unlikely anything like THAT happens. As DTMB said, there's a better chance we start colonizing our oceans than we start colonizing the moon/other planets, let alone other solar systems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
Ataal wrote:
I don't think we colonize any planet in our solar system. It will be a planet from somewhere else that matches Earth better. But, this will be hundreds of years from now.

You're saying that you think in hundreds of years from now, you think we'll be able to colonize a planet in another solar system.

Unless you expect our average lifespan to nearly triple in "hundreds of years", it's going to take people essentially sacrificing their lives and reproducing on the way in order for people to make it there and have any sort of ability to sustain our species.

Highly unlikely anything like THAT happens. As DTMB said, there's a better chance we start colonizing our oceans than we start colonizing the moon/other planets, let alone other solar systems.

I think its possible in the far future. Likely, maybe not. Possible, perhaps.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
Ataal wrote:

I think its possible in the far future. Likely, maybe not. Possible, perhaps.

Sure, "possible". But the logistics behind it would make it highly unlikely. I'd believe our deserts, jungles, and oceans would all be colonized well before we even think about the moon/Mars, and those would come even before we think of another solar system.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I'd believe our deserts, jungles, and oceans would all be colonized well before we even think about the moon/Mars.

heck, we could colonize Cleveland with intelligent life by then.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
tom cody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is a long way's off. Just to get all the things needed to prepare for life on Mars would take a lot of time to plan. Maybe in my lifetime but I'm not 100% sure.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
I'd believe our deserts, jungles, and oceans would all be colonized well before we even think about the moon/Mars.

heck, we could colonize Cleveland with intelligent life by then.

Whoa, now you're just taking gigantic leaps. One step at a time, vd.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
42 light years is relatively small, when i've read that our galaxy itself is 100,000 light years long, compared to the known universe which itself is supposedly 100 billion light years. So 42? Almost like a cakewalk.

as you are discovering, 42 LY is a tiny distance in the cosmic road map, but an enormous one for our present technology, or anything immediately foreseable.

our Moon is about 2 light seconds away, our Sun is about eight light minutes away. 42 years is an enormous distance to transit, not to mention what support help would there be from an Earth command base if a one-time back and forth conversation would take 84 years to complete?

Even if you could travel at anything close to the speed of light, time would slow down around you and you could be thousands of years into the future by the time you reached your destination.

An interesting paradox, to say the least.

I remember working out a problem recently that essentially showed to make a conventional space ship travel at a mere 3/10 the speed of light (still approx 100000000 meters per second, mind you), it would take almost as much energy as the Earth produces in a day to make a ship travel at that speed for just a few seconds.

Basically, it told me we are a long ways away. We're going to need to go a step or maybe even two steps beyond nuclear fusion before we can even sniff that.
latinoaustino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
milanb wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
42 light years is relatively small, when i've read that our galaxy itself is 100,000 light years long, compared to the known universe which itself is supposedly 100 billion light years. So 42? Almost like a cakewalk.

as you are discovering, 42 LY is a tiny distance in the cosmic road map, but an enormous one for our present technology, or anything immediately foreseable.

our Moon is about 2 light seconds away, our Sun is about eight light minutes away. 42 years is an enormous distance to transit, not to mention what support help would there be from an Earth command base if a one-time back and forth conversation would take 84 years to complete?

Even if you could travel at anything close to the speed of light, time would slow down around you and you could be thousands of years into the future by the time you reached your destination.

An interesting paradox, to say the least.

I remember working out a problem recently that essentially showed to make a conventional space ship travel at a mere 3/10 the speed of light (still approx 100000000 meters per second, mind you), it would take almost as much energy as the Earth produces in a day to make a ship travel at that speed for just a few seconds.

Basically, it told me we are a long ways away. We're going to need to go a step or maybe even two steps beyond nuclear fusion before we can even sniff that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but nuclear fission is what we do now with fusion being the goal in the immediate term. They've talked about a propulsion system that works off of anti matter that would be much better than what we use now. Scientists have speculated that harnessing the power of dark matter is the key, but to my knowledge we haven't physically proved its existence.

Adopt A Titan

Alterraun Verner and Scott Solomon
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:

Getting a space ship to get moving that fast is not an issue (due to the lack of drag). Simply a solar sail could easily do that with no energy needing to be provided. The issue is getting something up to speed quickly.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colonizing the moon would be MUCH easier than Mars, simply because of the amount of energy it takes to get to Mars compared to the moon.

Anything in deep space (such as other stars) is practically impossible until we make some major breakthroughs in physics. See: wormhole jumps, FTL communications, anti-matter engines, etc.
samgurl775

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
As soon as we find the Mass Relays, we're in it to win it. #Cerberus. Very Happy
Aw man you stole my joke Sad

Edit:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Ataal wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
As soon as we find the Mass Relays, we're in it to win it. #Cerberus. Very Happy

+1 for the Mass Effect plug.

(Thanks samgurl!)

Just saw this. I forgive you.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

Explain this to me? How does that work?

big thanks to OakleyCap on the sig
adamq

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waste of time and especially money, IMO.

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
Waste of time and especially money, IMO.
Yeah, and so was putting gravy in a dispenser at gas stations. How did that work out? . . . Awesome.

Anyways, yeah, unless it's ever proven feasible for people to live in space for a long time, it's a waste of money and time.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
Jetsman82 wrote:

Getting a space ship to get moving that fast is not an issue (due to the lack of drag). Simply a solar sail could easily do that with no energy needing to be provided. The issue is getting something up to speed quickly.

Hmm, last I heard, we couldn't get anything to even go .1c

Regardless, the issue again comes from energy. Right now, we simply don't have the energy source to generate that kind of power. Like I said in a previous post, it's probably going to be a step or two beyond self sustaining nuclear fusion, which we haven't quite mastered yet IIRC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: