Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How soon until Space Colonization is a viable reality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
As soon as we find the Mass Relays, we're in it to win it. #Cerberus. Very Happy

+1 for the Mass Effect plug.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.space.com/16907-what-is-the-temperature-of-mars.html
Quote:
Mars's atmosphere is about 100 times thinner than Earth's. Without a "thermal blanket," Mars can't retain any heat energy. On average, the temperature on Mars is about minus 80 degrees F (minus 60 degrees C). In winter, near the poles temperatures can get down to minus 195 degrees F (minus 125 degrees C). A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) near the equator, but at night the temperature can plummet to about minus 100 degrees F (minus 73 C). Frost forms on the rocks at night, but as dawn approaches and the air gets warmer, the frost turns to vapor, and there is 100 percent humidity until it evaporates.

Nope.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How soon until Space Colonization is a viable reality? Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Mars... apparently has a somewhat habitable environment suited for humans- at least more so than our Moon.

say whut?

please explain how Mars' environment is more habitable for us than the Moon's, or actually can in any way be considered "somewhat habitable." both are totally deadly to us.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How soon until Space Colonization is a viable reality? Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
Mars... apparently has a somewhat habitable environment suited for humans- at least more so than our Moon.

say whut?

please explain how Mars' environment is more habitable for us than the Moon's, or actually can in any way be considered "somewhat habitable." both are totally deadly to us.
Yep. No breathable oxygen, the aforementioned temperature, and the low gravity that would lead to muscle degeneration/added fat from the lower caloric burn (that is, much lower life expectancy). Oh, and no water.

But somewhat habitable.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley

Last edited by iPwn on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ataal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think even more important than the temperatures and lack of atmosphere is the fact that Mars has almost no magnetic field. It allows two an a half times more radiation than Earth does. Not only does this have a dire effect on Humans, but it also makes it nearly impossible for water to remain on the surface.

The only way colonizing Mars would be feasible is if we built "bubbles" or lived in caves. But, if you're going to do that, the Moon is a hell of a lot closer.

I don't think we colonize any planet in our solar system. It will be a planet from somewhere else that matches Earth better. But, this will be hundreds of years from now.

"The Space Program" here in the U.S. has all but shut down, so private business will be the one to make the push. But, it has to be profitable to do so. Unless the world unites as one to create a space program, and I think that would only happen if we've all but destroyed the Earth or over populated it(necessity is the mother of all invention), I don't ever see it happening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
^^
That's definitely just a picture of Nevada… Wink

No it isnt.. It's a picture of every birthday party Seabears has ever had.

PSN: TytybearsFan21
Add me or else! Twisted Evil
Iggles

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that space colonization is pretty far off. The logistics are staggering, and the benefits are essentially non-existent at the moment. Beyond that, a technological singularity would render the motives for colonization essentially moot.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
As soon as we find the Mass Relays, we're in it to win it. #Cerberus. Very Happy

(Thanks samgurl!)

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see who would want to go through all the preparation and what not that you have to do to go into outer space so they can go live on a planet which I assume is colder and I think months away from everyone they've ever known.

I could be wrong but I think it costs a lot of money to just put one person in space. I can't even imagine how much it would take to make several trips back and forth for more people and supplies.

I don't see it ever happening. I doubt anyone who could make it happen is even thinking about it. There's probably a better chance of colonizing the ocean.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How soon until Space Colonization is a viable reality? Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

say whut?

Yep. No breathable oxygen, the aforementioned temperature, and the low gravity that would lead to muscle degeneration/added fat from the lower caloric burn (that is, much lower life expectancy). Oh, and no water.

But somewhat habitable.

Well...I was obviously misinformed... Embarassed
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
I don't think we colonize any planet in our solar system. It will be a planet from somewhere else that matches Earth better. But, this will be hundreds of years from now.

Agreed on a new solar system and agreed on the timeline.

Quote:
Astronomers have detected an alien planet that may be capable of supporting life as we know it — and it's just a stone's throw from Earth in the cosmic scheme of things.
The newfound exoplanet, a so-called "super-Earth" called HD 40307g, is located inside its host star's habitable zone, a just-right range of distances where liquid water may exist on a world's surface. And the planet lies a mere 42 light-years away from Earth, meaning that future telescopes might be able to image it directly, researchers said.
"The longer orbit of the new planet means that its climate and atmosphere may be just right to support life," study co-author Hugh Jones, of the University of Hertfordshire in England, said in a statement. "Just as Goldilocks liked her porridge to be neither too hot nor too cold but just right, this planet or indeed any moons that it has lie in an orbit comparable to Earth, increasing the probability of it being habitable."

http://news.yahoo.com/super-earth-alien-planet-may-habitable-life-000948317.html

42 light years is relatively small, when i've read that our galaxy itself is 100,000 light years long, compared to the known universe which itself is supposedly 100 billion light years. So 42? Almost like a cakewalk. But our spacecraft have yet to even leave the solar system- the Nasa Voyager has yet to cross into interstellar space, although it is relatively close (i believe its still in the heliopause). Then there's the cosmic rays and potential radiation complications when you enter interstellar space.

Still so much to discover in the world, and it'll go well beyond our lifetimes. I'm just fascinated by the solar system, the galaxies, and how it pales in comparison to our known universe.

Artists rendering of the planet

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
42 light years is relatively small, when i've read that our galaxy itself is 100,000 light years long, compared to the known universe which itself is supposedly 100 billion light years. So 42? Almost like a cakewalk.

as you are discovering, 42 LY is a tiny distance in the cosmic road map, but an enormous one for our present technology, or anything immediately foreseable.

our Moon is about 2 light seconds away, our Sun is about eight light minutes away. 42 years is an enormous distance to transit, not to mention what support help would there be from an Earth command base if a one-time back and forth conversation would take 84 years to complete?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
42 light years is relatively small, when i've read that our galaxy itself is 100,000 light years long, compared to the known universe which itself is supposedly 100 billion light years. So 42? Almost like a cakewalk.

as you are discovering, 42 LY is a tiny distance in the cosmic road map, but an enormous one for our present technology, or anything immediately foreseable.

our Moon is about 2 light seconds away, our Sun is about eight light minutes away. 42 years is an enormous distance to transit, not to mention what support help would there be from an Earth command base if a one-time back and forth conversation would take 84 years to complete?

Even if you could travel at anything close to the speed of light, time would slow down around you and you could be thousands of years into the future by the time you reached your destination.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

For sure, i'm just saying relatively speaking to the rest of the universe. We still don't even have a telescope that can view the planet, and the farthest manned spacecraft still has yet to reach interstellar space (and it launched in 1977).

Last edited by 49ersfan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ataal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Ataal wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

(Thanks samgurl!)

That.....is awesome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: