Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Adrian Peterson - Are we wasting his best years?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ArcticNorseman


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 1999
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely entertaining read Laughing

Not really ... this team has 3, maybe 4 blue chip starters in Adrian, Percy, Allen, and quite possibly Kali.

Trading any one of these would be a stupid move. The likelihood the team would get equal value is nill. The team is not in major re-building mode - that was last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 46179
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess most would argue that LaDainian Tomlinson's career went to waste too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 71488
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I guess most would argue that LaDainian Tomlinson's career went to waste too.

for that matter, every blue chip running back who never won a Super Bowl or regularly competed for one.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thestonedkoala


Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 4046
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I guess most would argue that LaDainian Tomlinson's career went to waste too.


Except that Tomlinson and the Chargers competed every year for the playoffs and made it.

6 of his 10 years were in the playoffs...(technically 5 since he played little role in the Jets playoffs)...and all of them came during his prime years (around 28-32). 2004-2009 (born in 1979...25-30) when he was at the peak of his game.

Peterson has made it to the playoffs twice back to back 2008. 2009. I would say if we continued to be competitive and make the playoffs from 2008-now, we wouldn't be having this argument at all. But given the short lives of running backs...

BTW; what is the biggest issue with Sanders? Why he retired early? Because the Lions never really competed. They never really built that team. And people always lament the fact that one of the best backs in football never got a chance to get to the Super Bowl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 46179
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomlinson also had the opportunity to play with some elite QBs. The likelihood of him competing in the playoffs was greater, and the fact that the Chargers never won a ring despite all of this, perhaps the Chargers wasted even more opportunities than the Vikes did. I guess I dont understand the logic, if your consistently going to the playoffs and not winning titles, arent you wasting elite RBs just as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 71488
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Adrian Peterson - Are we wasting his best years? Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
I got to wonder if Peterson wouldn't be best served as a trade chip to help the rebuilding process and at least give him a chance to get a ring.

the bottom line is Peterson has made no claims to this being true or something he wants to see happen.

so your entire argument in this thread, which you frame in terms of what's best for Peterson, is nothing of the sort.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 46179
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Adrian Peterson - Are we wasting his best years? Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
thestonedkoala wrote:
I got to wonder if Peterson wouldn't be best served as a trade chip to help the rebuilding process and at least give him a chance to get a ring.

the bottom line is Peterson has made no claims to this being true or something he wants to see happen.

so your entire argument in this thread, which you frame in terms of what's best for Peterson, is nothing of the sort.


If Peterson was so concerned about getting a ring and leaving the Vikings to do it, you would think that he wouldnt have signed that mega deal just last year. If Peterson expressed any desire to leave to play on a contender, he would have refused to negotiate. Peterson didnt so i can assume he was quite comfortable with his situation as a Viking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 5701
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same line of thinking that causes super-teams to form in the NBA.
_________________
Klomp wrote:
Today, I will guarantee you that 3 QBs will NOT be the first 3 picks of the 2014 NFL Draft, nor will there be 3 QBs taken in the Top 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArcticNorseman


Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 1999
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp . . . ??? I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're trying to convey, but there have been a few NFLers that changed teams to get a championship . . . Reggie White and Deion Sanders come to mind, but very few other superstars have changed teams and actually won the ring.

In the NBA, the team needs 2 or 3 stars with 7 or 8 other good guys. In the NHL, Ray Borque went to the Avalanche and got his . . . MLB, A-Rod to the Yanks . . . Garnett to the Celtics . . . no matter the sport, it doesn't happen a lot.

In the NFL, the game has so many components, one guy doesn't normally make the difference -- it's talent with team chemistry that does make the difference.

This Vikings team doesn't have extreme divas or highly publicized "me-first" guys. Some may think Adrian is selfish because he wants the ball . . . as would any guy that can change a game on any given play. Watching Adrian's interviews, seeing him on the field, you'd have to be ignorant to think he's anything but a consummate professional and total leader. No one in the Vikings organization would want that to vanish anytime soon.

When Adrian's ready to leave the Vikings, I hope it's to retire after a great 13 or 14+ year career with that elusive SB ring. So, the organization has about 6 or 7 years to get there . . . imagine how the guys of the team from the 70s felt, they got there but never claimed the ring . . . when it happens next, let's hope they finish Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 5701
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a superstar who WANTS to be here. Why are we wanting to trade him? He knows we are rebuilding, and if he felt we were wasting his prime, he would have signed somewhere like Dallas when he had the chance.

Would trading him give us value in return? Most likely. But are a bunch of young guys and draft picks going to be enough to get fans to the games when we play at TCF Bank Stadium? I don't think so. Right now, Adrian is one of the only things drawing fans to games. Without him, we'd likely be facing weekly threats of blackouts.
_________________
Klomp wrote:
Today, I will guarantee you that 3 QBs will NOT be the first 3 picks of the 2014 NFL Draft, nor will there be 3 QBs taken in the Top 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
this providence


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 11132
Location: Ugh.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective I don't view the topic about whether or no they should trade Peterson. I view it as the team should be attempting to do everything in their power to move assets around to bring in more higher end players. Not to mention get this quarterback situation figured and stable/productive.

In that sense, yes they are wasting Peterson's prime. But no, he's one of the last players they should consider moving.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 21435
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:

BTW; what is the biggest issue with Sanders? Why he retired early? Because the Lions never really competed. They never really built that team. And people always lament the fact that one of the best backs in football never got a chance to get to the Super Bowl.


Confused

The Lions made the playoffs 5 of his 9 years, including a visit to the NFC Championship Game. You must have confused him with someone else.
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PrplChilPill


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 8843
Location: SLP, MN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
From my perspective I don't view the topic about whether or no they should trade Peterson. I view it as the team should be attempting to do everything in their power to move assets around to bring in more higher end players. Not to mention get this quarterback situation figured and stable/productive.

In that sense, yes they are wasting Peterson's prime. But no, he's one of the last players they should consider moving.


Right. Sign a starter, not a second tight end. That is my issue, not trading him, but doing what it takes to win now without trading every draft oick to do so.
_________________
Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 46179
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
this providence wrote:
From my perspective I don't view the topic about whether or no they should trade Peterson. I view it as the team should be attempting to do everything in their power to move assets around to bring in more higher end players. Not to mention get this quarterback situation figured and stable/productive.

In that sense, yes they are wasting Peterson's prime. But no, he's one of the last players they should consider moving.


Right. Sign a starter, not a second tight end. That is my issue, not trading him, but doing what it takes to win now without trading every draft oick to do so.


Let's keep it to Peterson, we've got plenty of threads to discuss your concerns regarding this issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HighHopes


Moderator
Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 26783
Location: Courtroom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the Vikings pay him for his talents. If anything the Vikings are wasting money on him as he obviously hasn't produced a SB for the Vikings. (Well that's not true since they prolly make a lot of money via other purchases lol) but my point basically stands.
_________________

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group