Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Adrian Peterson - Are we wasting his best years?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Adrian Peterson - Are we wasting his best years? Reply with quote

I know this will be a controversial topic but I got to bring it up. And yes I was wrong about Peterson (though we did limit his snaps in the beginning) but I got to wonder; we drafted Peterson in 2007. This is his 5th year in the NFL. And while he is a freak of nature as athletes go, he's in his prime now. Even the best NFL running back in the 2000s, LaDainian Tomlinson started declining after 5 years in the league (2006 was his best year).

Some other rushing leaders:

- Shaun Alexander, drafted a year earlier in 2000, had 5 good years before declining.

- Jamal Lewis bucked the trend but lasted 9 years in the NFL with one good year a year before he retired. But he never had as good of year as he did 3 years in his career and he never broke 1,500 years again in his career.

- Curtis Martin also bucked the trend and had up and down career. He lasted 10 years in the NFL as well.

- Priest Holmes had his best year 5 years into his career and then fell apart near the end.

- Edgerrin James last had 1,500 yards 6 years into his career and then he got shipped off to Arizona where is career ended.

- Terrell Davis is another one that had a short career and his last good season was 4 years into his career.

While I don't expect Peterson to drop off for a year or two, we're still neck deep in a rebuilding process. And with the quarterback situation in the area and the playoffs a dream, I got to wonder if Peterson wouldn't be best served as a trade chip to help the rebuilding process and at least give him a chance to get a ring.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with no, how is it wasting his talent when we are getting rushing like we are, and we brought in Favre to make a push with Peterson two years in a row, so it isn't like we've spent the whole of his career in a rebuilding phase, sure this year, but one year of rebuilding isn't, especially since we've seen what rebuilding can ramp up to from a couple of seasons ago.

PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 100% yes. Just like the Twins are wasting Mauer right now. But both reams want to build slowly through the draft, and sign marginal free agents.
milanb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian got his kick at the can in 2009. If he doesn't fumble at the goal line in the NFC Championship the Vikings probably win the Super Bowl that year. The same holds true for Percy.

The bottom line is that it's difficult to stay competitive year after year, and the Vikings are still two or three years away from challenging for the Super Bowl again.

It is what it is.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the equivalent of saying that the Chicago Bears wasted Walter Payton's talent because it took them 11 years of his career to make the Super Bowl. It's a ridiculous argument, and will always be a ridiculous argument in my opinion.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is simply no reason to trade him away.

By doing that, the rebuilding process will only take longer.

I really don't think Peterson will show signs of decline for another solid 2-3 years.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Adrian got his kick at the can in 2009. If he doesn't fumble at the goal line in the NFC Championship the Vikings probably win the Super Bowl that year. The same holds true for Percy.

The bottom line is that it's difficult to stay competitive year after year, and the Vikings are still two or three years away from challenging for the Super Bowl again.

It is what it is.

there you go. some very accurate statements there.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
wcblack34

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Dolphins waste Dan Marino's best years? Not every great player gets to win a Super Bowl. That's why it is such a great achievement.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question isn't post hoc, though. The question is, should you be embarking on a 3 year rebuilding effort with Allen and Peterson in their prime?
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
The question isn't post hoc, though. The question is, should you be embarking on a 3 year rebuilding effort with Allen and Peterson in their prime?

If it does lead to a Super Bowl or 2, why not? There isn't going to be any "perfect" time to rebuild, so there is no better time to do it than now.

The ideal time to start it was back in '06 or '07 (when Adrian was a rookie), but Childress decided to go another way to release some pressure building on him. That's water under the bridge now.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we wanted to trade him we probably wouldn't get much because his huge salary and the short shelf-life of running backs.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point about the fumble in the NFC Championship game.

I do kinda feel bad tho, he's starting to remind me of Barry Sanders. It's great to have an NFL icon and future HOF on your team. But I'll take winning any day of the week over that.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
The ideal time to start it was back in '06 or '07 (when Adrian was a rookie), but Childress decided to go another way to release some pressure building on him. That's water under the bridge now.

It also gave us one of the most enjoyable and memorable seasons in Vikings history. That decision shouldn't be viewed negatively because it set us back when we almost made it to the Super Bowl and an argument can be made that we should have been in that Super Bowl. '09 was a fantastic year.

Peppers90 on the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: