Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packer Stat Watch 2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Packer Stat Watch 2012 Reply with quote

My main intention was to start this thread about the Rhino in room. The big beast nobody talks about. I have believed since draft day that we would be a Top 10 defense this year, and as I was scouring through NFL team defensive stats I noticed that we are top 10-15 in almost every category. All except one. One huge glaring bottom of the barrel absolute worst in the league. What is it you ask? Penalties, we have committed 9 more defensive penalties than any other team. It always seems offensively we pride ourselves on being discipline and smart. Yet the last 2 years we have been Oakland Raider-esque in our ability to not play within the confines of the rules. So, using my best Vince Lombardi voice I ask, "What the hell's goin on out there??"

Note: Made this thread for other notable Packer stats!

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Kenrik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB has played 5 of the top 10 defenses according to yards per game. Compared to 0 last year.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason we've been called a lot for PI and/or holding penalties this year. I hate to say it but they have decreased with Woodson out... Confused

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packers have 30 drops so far, 2nd most in the league.
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabbaker wrote:

I'd like to see that expressed as a % stat like completion % vs total number of completions. The Packers throw a decent % more than most teams so I'd expect them to have higher bulk numbers in any passing related stat. Efficiency numbers would better tell the tale here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
For some reason we've been called a lot for PI and/or holding penalties this year. I hate to say it but they have decreased with Woodson out... Confused
To be fair, they have gone down since Shields went out. Every ref in the history of ever hates Sam Shields. There have been like 10 times this year when it was blatant OPI or should be a no call and it goes against Shields. I wish there was a way to clean up the penalties, it could be holding this defense back from being an elite defense.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Average at best
Unballed Melon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:

I can think of two PIs that were miscalled.

Woodson's always grabbed a lot. MM said he was fine with it as it goes with the aggressive nature of his playing style. Though that was two years ago when it was out of aggression, and not out of making up for mistakes.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other stats we can watch:

Randall Cobb and Sproles' record. Currently at 1363 total yards in nine games. that puts him 1333 away from the record. He has averaged 151.4 yards a game. He needs to average 190.4 yards over the last seven to break it. Obviously a challenge, but if he breaks a couple of 100 yard returns for touchdowns then he has a great shot.

He is currently on pace for 2423 which would put him as the 15th highest in a single season.

Aaron Rodgers is on pace for 44 TDs. He needs 26 over the next seven games to break Brady's record of 50. That's 3.7 a game. Hypothetically, if he has another 6 TD game, he'd be at 31 with six other games. He would then need to average 3.33 per game to break the record. Difficult, but doable. If he averages 3 the rest of the way, he's set a career high of 46.

Mike McCarthy has broken the 100 games coached mark this season, which makes him eligible for coaching win percentage records. His .657 regular season record has him 8th among coaches all time (highest among active). If the Packers win out their final 7 games, he will be 76-36, or .679 percent, which would rank him fourth behind Vince Lombardi (.740), John Madden (.731) and George Allen (.684).

edit: interesting fact about the guy who currently sits at 4th, Blanton Collier. His coaching career was of similar length to what McCarthy has done already and has had similar results, going 79-38 (.672) with one title. Collier managed to win his sports title in Cleveland, however, which gives him a leg up over McCarthy in the category of "things done that are nearly impossible"

Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
To be fair, they have gone down since Shields went out. Every ref in the history of ever hates Sam Shields. There have been like 10 times this year when it was blatant OPI or should be a no call and it goes against Shields. I wish there was a way to clean up the penalties, it could be holding this defense back from being an elite defense.

True, Sam does seem to get the shaft from the refs. Confused

BTW, does anybody know what his going on with his shin?? I never thought he'd be out this long unless this injury is more serious than they are letting on...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unballed Melon wrote:
Pugger wrote:

Woodson's always grabbed a lot. MM said he was fine with it as it goes with the aggressive nature of his playing style. Though that was two years ago when it was out of aggression, and not out of making up for mistakes.

I wonder if it is because of him losing a step more than mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabbaker wrote:

Like 5 of them are from Jermichael Finley against SF alone...Cant stand him

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Unballed Melon wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I wonder if it is because of him losing a step more than mistakes.

One in the same in my book. When you suddenly can't rely on athleticism as much, it takes time to adjust to the new reality, and you make mistakes thinking you can do things you could before, but can no longer do.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB #'s I posted in the Cedric Benson Thread....

[quote=blankman0021]The Numbers:

ATT YRDS Y/C Long
Benson: 71 248 3.5 11
Green: 87 272 3.1 41
Starks: 23 80 3.5 14
Kuhn: 11 39 3.5 9
Cobb: 6 96 16.0 28
Rodgers: 35 162 4.6 25

Very pedestrian across the board. Would like to see Cobb touch the ball more out of the backfield, and Rodgers #'s are polluted by scrambles for 0 yrds and kneel downs so take that with a grain of salt.

As for the runningbacks, it's kind of sad when you don't have a better YPC than your fullback...

But Benson did look good(relatively speaking) when he was out there.[/quote]

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
xDD80x

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Packer Stat Watch 2012 Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
My main intention was to start this thread about the Rhino in room. The big beast nobody talks about. I have believed since draft day that we would be a Top 10 defense this year, and as I was scouring through NFL team defensive stats I noticed that we are top 10-15 in almost every category. All except one. One huge glaring bottom of the barrel absolute worst in the league. What is it you ask? Penalties, we have committed 9 more defensive penalties than any other team. It always seems offensively we pride ourselves on being discipline and smart. Yet the last 2 years we have been Oakland Raider-esque in our ability to not play within the confines of the rules. So, using my best Vince Lombardi voice I ask, "What the hell's goin on out there??"

Note: Made this thread for other notable Packer stats!

Football Outsiders has observed that defensive penalties do not correlate with win percentage (but offensive ones do). Theories:

-Penalties indicate tight, physical defense. Fore every play they get called, there are 10 others where the coverage/play was on the good side of bad.

-Penalties could represent aggressiveness like snap count jumping that is indicative of a more successful defense.

Offensive penalties, OTOH are drive killers and tend to be strongly correlated with a bad offense.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ2K ran for over 100 yards on the Dolphins today, the Dolphins had a streak of 22 games without allowing 100 yard rusher. Now your Green Bay Packers have the longest active streak at 8 games. The funny thing is, on a local sports radio channel they were talking about Adrian Peterson getting to 2,000 yards this year and they said "The Bears and The Texans will be tough to get yards on but he will probably make it up against a bad Packers defense." Laughing

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Average at best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: