Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking to 2013 Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pretty comprehensive article on how the Chiefs look going into the 2013 offseason free agency period.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/10/18/looking-ahead-to-the-chiefs-2013-cap-situation/

I like how the writer goes into multiple scenarios. Ultimately I think Bowe is going to walk largely due to a combination of contract and wanting to move on from the organization. I also think considering his injury concerns and less than perfect fit in the 3-4 defensive scheme that Glenn Dorsey will not be re-signed. So that leaves the biggest free agent target as Branden Albert, and I would hope we could sign him and avoid the projected $9.278 franchise tag salary for an offensive lineman in 2013 (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/An-early-look-at-2013-franchise-tag-numbers.html). I think we need to release Tyson Jackson and realize the full cap relief getting out from under his renegotiated rookie deal would give us. If we can re-sign him to a much more reasonable contract based on his true value I wouldn't mind him being brought back. Also, I think Matt Cassel being cut is (or hopefully should be!) a foregone conclusion. That is a right around $6 million in savings there.

Some notes :

We all know Tyson Jackson's 2013 salary balloons, and I have seen $14.72 million as the figure most used, but in actuality he apparently also has a misc. bonus of $2.525 that increases his 2013 cap hit to $17.245.

Steve Breaston is getting paid alot of money for playing a very limited role in our offense. In 2013, his base salary is $3.8 million with a $1 million prorated signing bonus amount and a $200,000 misc. bonus for a total cap hit of $5 million. His 2014 and 2015 contract numbers are very similar with the exception of both years have misc. bonuses of $1.2. Unfortunately his contract has quickly become an albatross contract considering his lack of an impact in our offense. Maybe with Bowe likely gone, Breaston will see a return to action.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Breaston is pretty good, he just needs an NFL QB and OC to actually make him a tad more effective. Even with Bill Muir as an OC and 3 different QB's he had solid #2 numbers last year. I honestly believe if Baldwin can be a #1, Breaston will be a fine #2. We need to add a deep threat that can stretch the field for Geno/Tyler to chuck it to deep.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
I think Breaston is pretty good, he just needs an NFL QB and OC to actually make him a tad more effective. Even with Bill Muir as an OC and 3 different QB's he had solid #2 numbers last year. I honestly believe if Baldwin can be a #1, Breaston will be a fine #2. We need to add a deep threat that can stretch the field for Geno/Tyler to chuck it to deep.

The pick is Matt Barkley.

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Berry wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

only if we are picking behind the teams that took the other 2.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Berry wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

I'm sorry. What was I thinking.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:

I agree. It just disappoints me that he has basically been removed from our offense. It's like he is a ghost!

I agree on the deep threat, and have a prospect in mind - Markus Wheaton from Oregon State.

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

I agree. It just disappoints me that he has basically been removed from our offense. It's like he is a ghost!

I agree on the deep threat, and have a prospect in mind - Markus Wheaton from Oregon State.

Stevie...PHANTOM you say?

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Eric Berry wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

I'm sorry. What was I thinking.

Ill let it slide. Just don't let it happen again

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

While I enjoy these scenarios without Bowe, really I do...if we actually do cut ties with Pioli and get a high or #1 draft pick for QB, how is Bowe not here next year? We still have the franchise tag if needed to go along with a new QB and HC to persuade him if Pioli is gone...I don't see a GM being worthy if he's not gonna ATLEAST franchise Bowe if not offer him a good deal. If the new guy can't sign Albert or Bowe and franchise the other...I'm sorry that's a fail right off the bat just like Pioli....we want to be as competitive as possible next year and we've seen teams do that with a rookie QB with far less talent than us on offense, even rookie QB's like Tannehill and Wilson who may be closer to what we get than an RG3 or Luck.

I love that hypothetical #3 (cutting Jackson, keeping Cassel) because what if you don't wanna fly solo with Stanzi and a Rookie QB? lol as if keeping Cassel for 9 million no less, is gonna make things better.

One point on Breaston...outside of old R&S teams like the Oilers and Lions, the only teams that have ever heavily utilized/rotated more than 3 WR's are Brees Saints and Rodgers Packers. We have Matt Cassel...we use Bowe, McCluster, and Baldwin...ummm plays. It just doesn't work to have 4 good WR's without a good QB. Rarely do teams fall into 4 quality WR's or pursue it...it's happened to us as a result of McCluster moving back and forth.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of

Last edited by ArrowheadRage58 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
footballfan81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to 2013 Free Agency Reply with quote

Cary Williams, CB, Baltimore Ravens
Domenik Hixon, WR, New York Giants
Randy Starks, DT, Miami Dolphins
Evan Dietrich-Smith, C, Green Bay Packers
Antwan Barnes, OLB, San Diego Chargers
Donald Thomas, OG, New England Patriots

This free agent haul would add solid veteran players to both the offensive and defensive lines, an aggressive pass rushing threat (can't have enough of those) and solid veterans to the WR core and defensive backfield.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

While I enjoy these scenarios without Bowe, really I do...if we actually do cut ties with Pioli and get a high or #1 draft pick for QB, how is Bowe not here next year? We still have the franchise tag if needed to go along with a new QB and HC to persuade him if Pioli is gone...I don't see a GM being worthy if he's not gonna ATLEAST franchise Bowe if not offer him a good deal. If the new guy can't sign Albert or Bowe and franchise the other...I'm sorry that's a fail right off the bat just like Pioli....we want to be as competitive as possible next year and we've seen teams do that with a rookie QB with far less talent than us on offense, even rookie QB's like Tannehill and Wilson who may be closer to what we get than an RG3 or Luck.

I love that hypothetical #3 (cutting Jackson, keeping Cassel) because what if you don't wanna fly solo with Stanzi and a Rookie QB? lol as if keeping Cassel for 9 million no less, is gonna make things better.

One point on Breaston...outside of old R&S teams like the Oilers and Lions, the only teams that have ever heavily utilized/rotated more than 3 WR's are Brees Saints and Rodgers Packers. We have Matt Cassel...we use Bowe, McCluster, and Baldwin...ummm plays. It just doesn't work to have 4 good WR's without a good QB. Rarely do teams fall into 4 quality WR's or pursue it...it's happened to us as a result of McCluster moving back and forth.

I think we need to dump Matt Cassel based on the cap savings. If we can re-sign him to a back-up QB-type I am not opposed to that although I am not sure if that creates a strange dynamic in the lockerroom or not. With Cassel it might not because he seems like the type of person that would accept whatever role he is given. Another option like I mentioned before is to bring in a veteran like a Jason Campbell for example that has solid starting experience and can serve as a stabilizing factor for a young rookie starter.

As for Breaston, I agree on your take. All I was saying is that $5+ million for the next three years for a player that is being used minimally is alot of money for a #4 WR.

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the franchise tag, I'm pretty sure we can't negotiate with Bowe until after the season is over.

Props to Loto...the guy does great work
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Studebaker is slated to make $2,055,000 next year ($2,005,000 base salary + $50,000 misc. bonus). I think we can get alot more value on the free agent market and specifically looking for an OLB that could potentially provide more of a pass rush (ex. San Diego Chargers OLB Antwan Barnes who will make $700,000 this year).

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cox just saved the game with an awesome play on AJ. He's definitely someone I'd target in UFA to be our #2 CB. Can he stay healthy is the only concern IMO.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Derek Cox just saved the game with an awesome play on AJ. He's definitely someone I'd target in UFA to be our #2 CB. Can he stay healthy is the only concern IMO.

Yeah he is definitely one of my priority targets this offseason. Around 6'-1", 200 lbs. and has a very good all around game. As you said he just needs to prove he can stay healthy this year. When he is on the field he does make an impact for sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: