Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking to 2013 Free Agency
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Looking to 2013 Free Agency Reply with quote

We have quite a few decisions to make on our own free agents, but I wanted to create a thread to allow us to look ahead to potential free agent targets come this offseason. Of course alot will depend on whether we make any front office/coaching changes which could impact schematic preferences, etc. Obviously alot can change between now and when the free agent clock strikes, but what pending free agents or potential free agents (players that could be cut this offseason) would you target?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/

Here are three lists of players I would be interested in with Tier 1 being my high priority targets, Tier 2 being secondary targets, and Tier 3 being moderate interest targets.

Tier 1
Jason Campbell, QB, Chicago Bears
Antonio Smith, DE, Houston Texans*
Derek Cox, CB, Jacksonville Jaguars
Terrance Knighton, DT, Jacksonville Jaguars

Tier 2
Cary Williams, CB, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Goodson, RB, Oakland Raiders
Brad Jones, OLB, Green Bay Packers
Sidney Rice, WR, Seattle Seahawks*
Anthony Fasano, TE, Miami Dolphins
Jason Jones, DT, Seattle Seahawks
Martellus Bennett, TE, New York Giants
Domenik Hixon, WR, New York Giants

Tier 3
Randy Starks, DT, Miami Dolphins
Greg Toler, CB, Arizona Cardinals
Delanie Walker, TE/HB, San Francisco 49ers
Quentin Groves, OLB, Arizona Cardinals
Evan Dietrich-Smith, C, Green Bay Packers
Antwan Barnes, OLB, San Diego Chargers
Donald Thomas, OG, New England Patriots

*players currently under contract but may be released by team due to age and/or salary.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigballin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cox thats about it
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love Cary Williams and Anthony Fasano
jimmydee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much romance there, but if I had to pick one it'd be Cox....marginally.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more free agents than that, I just listed the ones I would be interested in, to varying degrees. My high priority free agents are included in the Tier 1 grouping with secondary options in Tier 2, and basic or moderate interest in the Tier 3. You guys might have other players you would be interested in.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give a little explanation to go with my free agent target listings. Alot is based on the idea of the Chiefs moving on from Scott Pioli and the coaching staff he installed. That being said, there are alot of variables to this offseason that will determine what we can and will do in free agency.

My personal preference is for a more attacking 1-gap based 3-4 defensive scheme. On offense, I think it is a foregone conclusion that we need to add a starting caliber quarterback through the draft. I prefer Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson. As far as our free agents go, I think we will end up losing Dwayne Bowe. I am not sure I see a new regime convincing him to re-sign. As far as Branden Albert goes, I think there is a good chance we need to use our franchise tag on him.

Here is my explanation behind some of the free agent targets (especially Tier 1). I am not saying we would or could sign all 4 priority free agents, but when the green light is lit for free agency, I would definitely be on the phone with these four player's agents.

Jason Campbell, QB, Chicago Bears
My Take : Not a attention grabbing target, but I think Campbell is exactly what we need as our #2 quarterback assuming we add a franchise quarterback through the draft (in this assumption we will go with Geno Smith). Campbell likely is not looking to demand a starting role and could give us a stabilizing veteran presence behind someone like Smith. If we need to go with Campbell due to Smith struggling horribly or being injured, we will have someone that has legitimate starting experience in the NFL.

Antonio Smith, DE, Houston Texans
My Take : His final contract year sees a decent increase in his salary and with all of the young talent that the Texans have on their front seven, I could see the Texans parting ways with Smith. I really like Smith as a veteran presence along our defensive line, especially considering his experience in playing in a more aggressive 1-gap 3-4 scheme and his ability to bring pressure from the defensive end spot as a pass rusher. We desparately need a strong veteran presence and from what I can tell, Smith does bring some leadership qualities. Also, we need to consider the defensive end position as Glenn Dorsey is likely to be gone in free agency and Tyson Jackson has a final year salary balloon. If he isn't willing to restructure and take a hefty paycut, we may be looking at two new starters at defensive end. We have several candidates already on the roster IMO, but Smith would add much needed experience and production at one of the defensive end positions.

Derek Cox, CB, Jacksonville Jaguars
My Take : Cox has some health concerns but when he has been on the field he has been a solid starter for the Jaguars. He has good size and still has upside to develop further in his coverage ability. The cornerback position is IMO a fairly big need and if we could add a player like Cox or Cary Williams (or even Greg Toler) opposite Brandon Flowers we could stabilize what has been a weakness after the loss of Brandon Carr. It doesn't look like Jalil Brown has developed much beyond being a special teamer and I think Javier Arenas is a much better slot cornerback than handling coverage outside.

Terrance Knighton, DT, Jacksonville Jaguars
My Take : Knighton would be a luxury pick, but I see an opportunity to use him paired with Dontari Poe in a similar way to how the Packers have used B.J. Raji and Ryan Pickett. Knighton is a solid run defender and can also push the pocket as a pass rusher.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing but chirping crickets I see! LOL
I have already started looking into different fanbase perspectives on their pending free agents (Knighton and Cox for the Jaguars).

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504502

I really would like to know when Pioli is going to open up contract extension negotiations with Bowe and Albert. Who knows if Bowe is even willing to do that now, but we atleast should be trying to talk to Albert about an extension irregardless of whether Bowe is a foregone conclusion or not.

Pioli kept harping on how he had to roll over cap money to sign upcoming free agents. We need to jump on this now so we don't have a ton of open items to be resolved this offseason. It would be nice to know exactly where we stand with our own free agents so we can hit the ground running to address needs on the open market (and draft).

ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's crickets only because none of it really matters unless we like what happens with QB, HC, OC, GM, Bowe, Albert...

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
It's crickets only because none of it really matters unless we like what happens with QB, HC, OC, GM, Bowe, Albert...

Yeah, but it's fun to speculate what we would do, right?

Wink

Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Campbell last night I dont want him anymore. The guy isn't even a great backup at this point.

Antonio Smith is a name that interests me. He should be due for a bit of a raise and Houston will most likely let him walk. Also, Wes Welker any one? Is there a better receiver in the league who could help out a rookie qb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
After watching Campbell last night I dont want him anymore. The guy isn't even a great backup at this point.

Antonio Smith is a name that interests me. He should be due for a bit of a raise and Houston will most likely let him walk. Also, Wes Welker any one? Is there a better receiver in the league who could help out a rookie qb

At this point I'd pass on Welker and develop our own young receivers already on the roster. Also, if we lose Bowe and draft Geno I'd try to get Austin in the 2nd.

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: Jamaal Charles
Carries:133/Yds:692/TD:8/YPC:5.2
Rec:22/Yds:148/TD:2
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingseanjohn wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

At this point I'd pass on Welker and develop our own young receivers already on the roster. Also, if we lose Bowe and draft Geno I'd try to get Austin in the 2nd.

True, I forgot we got guys like Hemingway and Wylie who NEED the playing time, not Copper and Breaston.

Ps - Hope all is well with you and the Army stuff bro.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:

Mikey,
Well, coming in cold in horrible weather conditions could have had an impact, don't you think? Campbell isn't a world-beater by any means, but considering we will more than likely draft a quarterback, I would like a veteran presence behind the rookie - a veteran that isn't pushing for a starting role and could end up sulking if they are passed over by the rookie for the starting spot. When you consider the only real option outside of Campbell for that role is Chad Henne, Campbell isn't that bad.

I do really like Smith - I think he could end up be cut as I mentioned before. Another option at 3-4 DE is Terrance Knighton as I mentioned. After talking with some Jaguar fans, I actually see him as a possible B.J. Raji type of player with Dontari Poe potentially filling the Ryan Pickett role, but with more potential for pass rush. Poe and Knighton could be interchanged depending on the defensive package and opposing offensive looks. Smith is a straight 3-4 DE.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Nic, you mention this Pioli guy starting contract negotiations. Are you that much of an insider that you know the names of the administrative assistants that draw up contracts and set up meeting with free agents, because I have no idea who you are talking about? I think our GM, TBD, will handle all of that in due time, once he's allowed to by the rules/actually being employed by us.

^ryknowssd on the sig
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Yeah, but it's fun to speculate what we would do, right?

Wink

Always Smile

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: