Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kiper's early draft picks for the A.F.C. North
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it.

The only way I would be ok with it is if Heckert (or whoever the **** is running the draft) feels that none of the top DE's are much higher than others and that we can get one with the 2nd we picked up.

I think Warmack would be beast for this line and so big in helping Trent into a top 3 RB.

This is also contingent on what we do in FA.

Though, this draft is fairly weak. So if we could get the top Guard prospect, a good DE prospect and grab another 1st rounder for next year, it may not be that bad.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
NickZambo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, let me say I understand the protection of the QB/help our star RB. But I think the most important positions on the offensive line are LT and C and we have two very capable people at those positions. IMO, we don't need to use a high draft pick on a guard when we have more pressing needs at other positions.

OGs can be found in free agency or the later rounds of the draft, see Grecco, Pinkston, Lavauo etc.

We need a big time playmaker in the first round (a Safety, CB, LB, TE, or WR), our OL is pretty good right now.

Put it to you this way...

Would the Browns be better drafting a guy like Von Miller/Clay Matthews and keep Grecco/Pinkston, or draft Danny Watkins/James Carpenter and keep JMJ/Miava?

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
dawgdish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we got a king's ransom for trading down then maybe I'd be ok with this, but would still rather take a DE, LB, CB, or S early.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgdish wrote:
If we got a king's ransom for trading down then maybe I'd be ok with this, but would still rather take a DE, LB, CB, or S early.

Agreed

As much as I hate our Guard play, those other positions are FAR more important right now. Our Oline has been great on pass blocking and mediocre on run blocking. Overall, i'd take that all day.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
TypicalBrowns10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could punch Mel Kiper in the face for not giving us Manti. Of all people I figured he would be the smart one here.
Ether

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TypicalBrowns10 wrote:
I wish I could punch Mel Kiper in the face for not giving us Manti. Of all people I figured he would be the smart one here.

Nothing to do with Teo but Mel Kiper generally never knows what he's talking about
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't see trading down for Warmack making sense. I understand at it would give the Browns an extremely good OL to build on for a decade, but it would take a trade down into the teens or lower, and that would cost a ton of picks. Who has that many picks to give up?

Rams have two 1sts and one 2nd. Bengals and Dolphins both have one 1st and two 2nds... But why would these teams cough up all these picks plus potentially 2014 picks as well?

More likely trade downs would be with the Jets or some other team needing a QB, but would they offer enough in the way of future 1sts and would the browns be good taking a step back and making longer term moves? It would take a RG3 caliber trade down or greater for this happen I would think.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
TypicalBrowns10 wrote:

Nothing to do with Teo but Mel Kiper generally never knows what he's talking about

Kiper has Te'o in his top 5 players.

I'm not sure if Kiper is just playing with the hype of pre-draft media, doesn't know the browns are in desperate need of a LB, or is inking really long term development for the this team?
-- my guess is the first one. Haha
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
I just can't see trading down for Warmack making sense. I understand at it would give the Browns an extremely good OL to build on for a decade, but it would take a trade down into the teens or lower, and that would cost a ton of picks. Who has that many picks to give up?

Rams have two 1sts and one 2nd. Bengals and Dolphins both have one 1st and two 2nds... But why would these teams cough up all these picks plus potentially 2014 picks as well?

More likely trade downs would be with the Jets or some other team needing a QB, but would they offer enough in the way of future 1sts and would the browns be good taking a step back and making longer term moves? It would take a RG3 caliber trade down or greater for this happen I would think.

I don't think you trade down with the idea of taking a certain player. You trade down with the idea that there should be several players in that spot the team would like to have. And to trade back, means a team wanted to trade up, so you don't really get to pick where your trading back to.

and future draft picks are ALWAYS on the table. Especially for a QB. Even then, its not unheard of. Remember Josh Daniels in Denver trading away every pick he had? or CAR trading a future first for Everette Brown? Its happens. A lot.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Drew_Carey wrote:

I don't think you trade down with the idea of taking a certain player. You trade down with the idea that there should be several players in that spot the team would like to have. And to trade back, means a team wanted to trade up, so you don't really get to pick where your trading back to.

and future draft picks are ALWAYS on the table. Especially for a QB. Even then, its not unheard of. Remember Josh Daniels in Denver trading away every pick he had? or CAR trading a future first for Everette Brown? Its happens. A lot.

Agree and disagree....

Trading down for a specific player happens a lot. Some GMs, such as Heckert as we all know, scripts the players they are targeting in the draft and moves to get those players. Personally, I like targeting several players better, but I'm not the GM. Haha.

And mass picks and future picks are of course always on the table, but it is rare. As I said, it would take a RG3 caliber trade or greater IMO.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young guards not developing fast enough?

Draft more guards!

When Pinkston returns, I feel like Guard is one of our deeper positions.

Can it be upgraded? Absolutely. But to do it in round 1 with the lack of depth on defense is unconscionable.

There are very few times in the draft where the most impactful player available is an offensive guard, especially in round 1.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the Browns want another starting Guard they will sign one in free agency. A bell cow like Richardson is OG's make the pro bowl and that is bound to attract some interest IMO.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
cattleman78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
if the Browns want another starting Guard they will sign one in free agency. A bell cow like Richardson is OG's make the pro bowl and that is bound to attract some interest IMO.

I.M.O. even spending big bucks on a guard in free agency is not that smart. If it came down to signing Jarius Byrd free safety or Levitre guard I sign Byrd 100 out of 100 times.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

I.M.O. even spending big bucks on a guard in free agency is not that smart. If it came down to signing Jarius Byrd free safety or Levitre guard I sign Byrd 100 out of 100 times.

Agree completely.

Guard would be a luxury signing to put the offensive line over the top right away, but a FS like Byrd is a fairly big need.
FLAbrownfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:

Agree completely.

Guard would be a luxury signing to put the offensive line over the top right away, but a FS like Byrd is a fairly big need.

Ditch said this perfect- I love good OL, but at the top of this draft with talent at LB, DE and CB I would rather most of them over warmack- in FA I won't burn the house down if we sign levirte but I would be much happier with Byrd or a starting DB with that being a much bigger need imo

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: