Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Breaking: Jon Gruden Eyeing a Return to Coaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
fte88 wrote:
He's vastly overrated, IMO. He's a "QB guru" that has never developed a QB. It's interesting to say the least. He's not coming here regardless, if he wants a big market.

can you honestly name a coach who is truly a QB guru and has developed many good QBs through out the years?

the only coach that comes to mine that helped develop two very good QBs is Holmgren with Brett and Hasselbeck

David Cutcliffe coached both Manning bros in college

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
buno67

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
fte88 wrote:
He's vastly overrated, IMO. He's a "QB guru" that has never developed a QB. It's interesting to say the least. He's not coming here regardless, if he wants a big market.

can you honestly name a coach who is truly a QB guru and has developed many good QBs through out the years?

the only coach that comes to mine that helped develop two very good QBs is Holmgren with Brett and Hasselbeck

David Cutcliffe coached both Manning bros in college

I'd say those two are more about pedigree than development.

I can't think of any coach outside of holmgren that groomed two QBs to studs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
fte88 wrote:

Point taken. But Gruden has developed 0, so I'm sticking my my original statement.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing that will stop him being our coach is if he and banner can work together.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
fte88 wrote:

The problem is, has Gruden ever developed a QB for long term play?

He was good at taking ancient QB's and getting things out of them, but when he didn't have a veteran, he was quick triggered and inconsistent. He never developed a young roster, both the Raiders and the Buccs fell off the cliff after winning the Super Bowl.

Now, he can get things out of his players and in his prime he got a lot done. But, he's going to be 5 years removed and wont have DC Like Monte Kiffen. There are worse coaches we could bring in, but I won't feel particularly confident about Gruden.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pass Gruden seems like a terrible fit,

I like his experience but that is about it.

Browns should look for a new coach hit,

And go out and hire Mitt.

Laughing
paul-mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've seen this "report" every year since Tampa fired him :p
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
I think I've seen this "report" every year since Tampa fired him :p

Yeah, no kidding. The op is a fan, so I'm sure that prompted the thread, but I'll believe him coming back when I see it.

Never been a big Chucky fan, so do not want. Of course, if the Browns hire him, then I'll love him. Laughing

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Of course, if the Browns hire him, then I'll love him. Laughing

I forced myself to do that with Mangini, I'm not doing it again.
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Of course, if the Browns hire him, then I'll love him. Laughing

I forced myself to do that with Mangini, I'm not doing it again.

Yes you will.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
buno67

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
buno67 wrote:
fte88 wrote:

The problem is, has Gruden ever developed a QB for long term play?

He was good at taking ancient QB's and getting things out of them, but when he didn't have a veteran, he was quick triggered and inconsistent. He never developed a young roster, both the Raiders and the Buccs fell off the cliff after winning the Super Bowl.

Now, he can get things out of his players and in his prime he got a lot done. But, he's going to be 5 years removed and wont have DC Like Monte Kiffen. There are worse coaches we could bring in, but I won't feel particularly confident about Gruden.

yeah i know he never developed a QB but im just coming to realize that there isnt really a thing as a QB guru in the NFL. There is no coach in the NFL that has shown the ability to develop good NFL QBs. Like IMO there are College offensive gurus who are able to plug QBs into their system and they excel at it but I dont see those coaches being QBs gurus because their QBs dont do much at the next level and etc.

Yeah Gruden never developed a young roster, he was always handed the keys to a pretty decent rosters/team and was able to push them into stud teams

yeah Gruden hasn't coach for 5years but he has been involved in the game since he has been out of coaching. I think when coaches completely leave the game and try and come back that they have trouble because they haven't seen the game pass them by. With Gruden, He left the coaching but then just headed up to the booth. So he has the chance to see the game develop and change over the years because its been his job to watch and break down the game. So if he comes back to coaching he inst trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

The one thing I like about Gruden is his energy he can bring to the team. I feel like the past couple coaches: Romeo, Mangini, and Shurmur have all been pretty boring guys and would show no emotion. I think with younger guys a coach has to be emotional when it comes to football. I want to see a coach who gets excited and jumps around after a big play and i want to see a coach errupt on a player when they screw up. IMO, thats the best kind of coaching towards younger players. With older guys they know how things work and can get away not getting fired up or yelled at but with young guys or inexperienced guys you need a coach like Gruden who gets fired up

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with everything Buno said above. Gruden has fire and his energy will transfer to the players.

i do think Gruden or another big-name coach will come to the Browns. we finally have an owner who cares and will be taken seriously. and lets be honest, if a coach were to come here and turn the Browns around their legacy would be sealed. if a coach comes here and fails, it won't have much impact on their legacy because so many have tried and failed before him.
DawgX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says he wants to coach a big market team, so Cleveland doesn't qualify. Besides, I don't know why so many people want Gruden to be the head coach of the Browns. I wouldn't be totally opposed to hiring him, but there's several other candidates who I'd prefer over him. His brother Jay Gruden is someone I much rather have coach the Browns.

Yes, Gruden won a Super Bowl but the Buccaneers were usually rather mediocre after that. He's an offensive-minded coach yet Tampa's offense was never particularly good. I just don't get why so many people want him. Is it just because he's a big name coach?

Who would you guys rather have: Jay Gruden or Jon Gruden? I already said I'd much rather have Jay Gruden.
BocaRatonBrown1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been many QB guru's if you look even recently.

Holmgren
Favre
Hasselbeck

Walsh with Holmgren
Montanna
Young

Gruden
Gannon
Johnson

Don Shula
Bob Greise
Dan Marino

Bill Belichick
Tom Brady

- Vermeil
Kurt Warner
Trent Green

These are just the recent ones & I am sure you can think of many more.

Notice all these guys where either average college "NFL" type QBs not the Mike Vicks, John Elways, Lucks etc...
BrownsDynasty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather hire Chip Kelly

and I don't even like Chip Kelly that much

Props to Beef80 on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: