Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shad Khan: "It's sad and embarrassing."
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gabbert, my main concerns are 1) he gets a fair shake (I've seen enough to believe he has the tools and mental make-up to eventually become an elite QB - it's just whether he will or not; I don't want to cut ties/cut his development and then see him do well elsewhere or be stuck here with no shot) and 2) I don't see a clear-cut guy in this draft that should knock him off of his post. With a new GM, if he takes a QB in the first two rounds (especially top of the draft) that's sending a clear message and I just don't want to do that. Geno I'd be okay with but his recent struggles concern me and I don't think his ceiling is as high (certainly has a higher floor) and Barkley is too risky. I like Tyler Wilson, but the value doesn't fit.

I want the new guy to build around Gabbert for at least 2013 (with it set up so if he is deemed not the guy that we can still use those pieces with a new QB) and then evaluate from there.

I hope we either trade back or draft one of the many pass rushers/linebackers at the top of the draft. I want a guy like Jarvis Jones, Damontre Moore, etc. (as I've made clear). I would love to trade back though - aside from the franchise's beginning, we've never really been in position to potentially get a LOT of selections. I'm not sure how possible that is though because of the elite prospects at this time, many are at positions that have strong depth in the first couple of rounds.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
I think most all of that is very fair.

Sent this to Sabo, figured I might as well put it here:

The thing is I'm not so much in full support of Gene, so much as I'm against the notion that he's done a horrible job. There's some good pieces here, quite a few of them. The thing is, whoever is GM next year has to hit some home runs. We are full of the base hits, but we don't have enough of the home runs. For instance, I feel like if we add one top 10 WR, the group becomes a top 10 group overall. The same for the O-line. The defense, I feel the same way, it's only 1-2 guys away.

I fully understand that the team isn't where it should be. It's not close. It has some glaring holes, but I feel that otherwise, they're built well. It's not good enough and if he has to go, as I've said all along, I'm okay with that. I just think people are taking much too much frustration out on him and making it seem like the job he's done has been much, much worse than it has been.

Pretty much what I've alluded to and how I feel.

I'm not ready to give up on Justin Blackmon or Andre Branch either. They suck now, but they are at positions that historically take a year or two. They should make significant strides next year.

Laurent Robinson and Cecil Shorts are two of the main things I'm going to be looking at the rest of the year. Last night was Laurent's best game and Shorts looks like he has more potential than any WR we've had here in a while. I want to see him start making the VERY tough catches though (ie: the one last night Gabbert laid near him with two Colts near him that he couldn't properly track down to catch).

iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say that we get a premiere pass rushing LB, whether that's Jarvis Jones or whatever. Let's assume that player is the next James Harrison, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller type.

Take that player, pair him with a very good CB acquisition, Mike Wallace, a good starting o-lineman, and a guy to work in at RB. That's one really great offseason. It's not easy to do, but it's doable. It's the type of thing that turned around the Falcons and other teams in one offseason. We're talking three really good draft picks and two really good free agents. This team could really start to turn the corner with that if Gabbert continues to grow as Eli did (Gabbert's growth mirrors that of Eli's so far), and we have a coaching staff that can work the players correctly.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley

Last edited by iPwn on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the coaching staff to remain in place (though PLEASE build the offense more toward what we saw in the GB game and last night's game) since I think we have a lot of guys who can actually coach well now.

JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is right, this is very sad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious that the front office has to be re-tooled. I had high hopes for Gene Smith (kind of a Ted Thompson type, smart, well respected, 'just gets it', etc) early on with the top spot but things have not progressed and the draft picks simply haven't panned out in most instances. I read that article from Grantland the night it came out, it had good points, and some points that had me shaking my head (mainly the nonsense involving Tyson Alualu being available in the later portion of round one), but the main point that was missing was this...You are simply not going to get top end FA's signing in Jacksonville, you have to overbid to get talent to places where the talent doesn't generally want to play.

Did Jacksonville want to wait for Paul Puz? They had to pounce.
Aaron Ross, a competent rotation CB available for $15 million? Why not?
Tyson Alualu available late in the first round? Seriously?

Overall the Jaguars are near the bottom in every category, the roster is arguably the worst in the league, but just like every bad roster - it's only a few moves away from becoming legitimate. You need to round out replacements at LG/C/RT, WR/RB...the defense has pieces at LB/DT, but obviously needs a lot of re-tooling at DE/CB....I would not want to be the next guy in line trying to re-tool the roster, it's not pretty, you have to hit the draft picks, that's the only way to get out of this mess.

Thankfully Blaine Gabbert has taken a step forward. I've watched all his games thus far, he still doesn't have me sold, but he's taken a step and he has all the tools....it's just going to take a couple more years to see how he pans out.

I hope Kahn provides stable leadership and is not one of these amateurish, knee-jerk owners that are plaguing the league right now...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm in J-Ville right now, and they have Shad Khan commercials!
Greatness

I hate the Jaguars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: