Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do you believe in Rex Ryan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you believe in Rex Ryan?
Yes
48%
 48%  [ 19 ]
No
51%
 51%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 39

Davey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Do you believe in Rex Ryan? Reply with quote

A simple question.

It's his fourth year now, and he's more or less going to be what he's going to be. He's delivered us some of the best moments I've experienced as a Jets fan in a short time, his defensive ingenuity is in my opinion the reason Darrelle Revis will go down as the best Jet to ever play, and he raised a level of excitement in Jets fans the likes of which I thought I'd never see.

But that's when things were good. Even when the Jets looked like they could win a Super Bowl in 2010, an incredibly talented roster and some magical moments papered over some cracks that were evident. The team was undisciplined and operated on an inconsistent motivational paradigm. One could argue a less lucky team would have missed the playoffs that year.

For all the good he does, is he ever going to get it? There was a reason why some teams were hesitant to hire him as a head coach before the Jets despite a fantastic coaching pedigree as an assistant and defensive coordinator. Some of those fears have definitely reared their head with the Jets: a team culture that can be volatile, an unnecessary need to put pressure on the team's back, a team constantly in the spotlight whether for right or wrong reasons, too much of a player's coach attitude that prevents him from truly taking command over the players.

We all knew that when the Jets hired Rex Ryan that the Jets would have a head coach like no other in the league. Can we still hang on that his unorthodox head coaching style can still be very effective, or must we admit that other team's concerns about hiring Ryan are proven right?
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I still believe in him. I know he talks a lot and is stubborn, but his game plan is legit. When he had a good roster, we made it to the AFC championship game twice (Even with Mark at his worst.) Gave the franchise & fans confidence.

We made some bad roster moves over the years . I think that killed the team the most. Oline got worst, Kept removing WR's, and nothing but #2 RB's. Our LB core was getting old when Rex took over, we still have them. They are older, slower, can't play in space. Some part is on Rex, but most of it goes to Tanny. n

I say we should get a stubborn GM who has been involved with developing a good surrounding for a QB and a good defense. Someone who won't make a dumb decision because of the NY Media, Woody, or Rex. Then give Rex one more year to prove himself.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
green24

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite his flaws, I trust Rex. Yeah, he makes stupid moves sometimes, but we have experienced a great deal of success under him. I want him to continue to be our Head Coach.
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has earnt my respect to be given more time to build the team.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never lost faith in Rex. His first few years were the only times I genuinely believed we were going to the Superbowl as my 21 years as a Jet fan, and with some office changes (Tanny), along with some roster moves (can we stop paying Holmes please?), I think we can get back to the same level.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes a terrible in game coach and has really done a pretty bad job the past two years. I'd give him a chance to rebuild IF AND ONLY IF he can except were not a superbowl contender anymore and is willing to rebuild the foundation of this team. If not, I really wont miss him and his outrageous proclamations. If he wants to help rebuild I'd be up for giving him next year to show the teams going down the right path, otherwise we need a better football mind in here.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
richie jets

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost faith , Rex gave us 2 amazing seasons but I think it's over . This and last year he's been out couched , completely clueless when it comes to offense , and even his vaunted defenses can't get off the field when they need it most. Four years and refuses to get a legit edge rusher . Hasn't developed any young talent , sticks with has beens like pace Scott and thomas or "never was " Eric smith . He's obsessed with the phrase ground and pound but O-line stinks and so do our running backs. never got Sanchez a new qb coach despite 4 years of regression . what else ? Oh yeah !! you never see the team make half time adjustments San Fran Houston and Miami were all winnable at half time but instead they made adjustments... he talks up players like there hall of famers .even in contract years I'm sure hurting the cap space . And last but not least always giving the other team locker room material . "See giants game" other than that I would still believe in Rex .
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnel decisions make him look worse than he could be. But he's likely part of those decisions. With the right players he can get away with being loose but without any established veterans or leaders we go downhill.

No 3-4 OLB is killing his defense.

No RB, QB, decline in OL is killing his offense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Personnel decisions make him look worse than he could be. But he's likely part of those decisions. With the right players he can get away with being loose but without any established veterans or leaders we go downhill.

No 3-4 OLB is killing his defense.

No RB, QB, decline in OL is killing his offense.

Agreed, but he sticks with guys that stubbornly like Eric Smith, Wayne Hunter, never benched Sanchez even for a game or quarter (though i dont want to see Tebow). Hes just all about making his players like him, but its not working. We literally have not one player on offense that above average other then Nick Mangold and maybe Keller. How are we suposed to win with that formula? We have to have a great draft this year to get this team back on the right track.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not.

He is outright horrible when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. Doesn't want to spend draft picks on that side, hires the only OC that could be more conservative/incompetent than Schotty, all he seems to care about is the defense. He is not a good in game manager either.

The ONLY way I want him back is if we get a premier, top of the line OC in here that understands offense. "Ground and pound" doesn't work with this line and Shonn Grenne taking the bulk of carries. There is NO way that deep down he is comfortable with this offense.

His defense is giving up a LOT of points as well. Unless he changes drastically, I just don't see value in him anymore.

And the fact that he has not gotten in Cromarties ear and told him to shut up is particularly alarming.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite his belief in the Tebow move, Rex has always put a good defense out there. I think hes a good head coach mainly because players love to play for him. But if you arent playing for him, some guys just plain hate him. Our problem is our owner and gm... and i think we all agree. We need to fire bradway and tannebaum this offseason. Id like to keep Rex and Sparano for one more year.. clean house and see how things go from there. We just need to grab the best talent available in drafts and not take chances on guys your not sure about just to fill a need.

Fire BRADWAY & TANNEBAUM- biggest moves we need to make by far.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with firing someone is it almost surely removes those below him as well. Firing Tanny will surely mean Rex and most of the rest of the staff will be gone as well.

You really won't find a GM worth taking over Tanny that won't want to bring in his own crew.
perikirest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is really only one candidate I would take over Rex at this point and thats Chip Kelly.

I think Rex's flaw is that he gets too much out of an inferior roster to really land the Jets blue chip players in the draft. With the injuries this team has suffered along with the handcuffing of a polarizing backup QB their is no reason the Jets should win more than 5-6 games this year.

This early schedule was as brutal as it got for a first half of the season in which 4 of their 5 losses came against top 10 squads whereas their next 8 games only 2 of them even have a winning record (being Seattle and New England over the next 3 weeks). And somehow Rex is gonna squeeze 8-9 wins overall out of this abysmal roster, may not even make playoffs, and be stuck with another middle first round pick..

AAJ Mark Sanchez
1 Torn Labrum
Malik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to keep Rex as long as with a new GM he has significantly less personnel control and we get an actual offensive coordinator.
moham-17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't let a good coach go just because he has a rough stretch.

Ryan is still green between the ears when it comes to running a team; give him time and he's going to develop into a great HC.

See the Texans, who I'm pretty sure are fairly happy that they didn't boot Kubiak out the door despite a few bad seasons. They saw potential, and allowed him to develop, just like you would a player at a new position.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: