Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Head Coaches and Their First Round Pick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FleaFlicker597

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: New Head Coaches and Their First Round Pick Reply with quote

First off hey everyone. If you don't know me (which you probably don't) I'm a frequent reader, less-frequent poster, and more importantly a life long fan and season ticket holder since 1992.

Well guys, I've given up on the season officially. I know its been over since post the Atlanta game but today broke my heart. Anyway, as we go on the hunt for a new head coach in 2013 I figured I would share an observation I had with all of you. In the current stage of the NFL, the last 2 new coaching classes for example, it is not only important for a new coach to actually you know, be a good coach, to have success, but they must also HIT ON THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK.

I know its early in the careers of many of these coaches, but you can get the sense of a turn around really fast in this league. For our new coach to be successful he must overview the talent we have on the roster and make the best first round pick possible to benefit the team.

Below is a list of the last two coaching classes (plus Romeo Crennel and Leslie Frazier because 2011 was their first year) and their corresponding first round picks.

Chuck Pagano - Andrew Luck
Joe Philbin - Ryan Tannehill
Greg Schiano - Doug Martin
John Fox - Von Miller
Jim Harbaugh - Aldon Smith
Mike Mularkey - Justin Blackmond
Ron Rivera - Cam Newton
Jeff Fisher - Sam Bradford
Mike Munchak - Jake Locker
Leslie Frazier - Christan Ponder
Pat Shurmur - Phil Taylor
Romeo Crennel - Dontari Poe
Dennis Allen - None (Carson Palmer trade)

As you can see the successful coaches (and successful teams) have all hit on their first round pick. The coaches doing "okay" have had "okay" first round picks" and so on for the bad teams.

Is this a coincidence or a trend?

All apologies for the grammatical errors.

With love from Section 213[/b]

^Kiltman on the sig^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about first round pick, but they need to hit in their drafts regardless of round.

Bad drafting will kill any great coach's career.
You MUST draft well to succeed.

Tom Coughlin's first pick was Eli Manning (well technically Rivers).

Bill Belichick drafted a tackle from Hawaii with his '1st pick' (didn't have a 1st round pick) but drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round.

Mike McCarthy benefited most by the drafting of Aaron Rodgers the year before he became head coach, though, he did draft A.J. Hawk in the 1st that year.

Sean Payton drafted Reggie Bush with their 1st pick but ultimately it was Drew Brees that was the difference maker.

Shouldn't be limited to 1st rounders. A team needs to draft well in order to succeed.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Head Coaches and Their First Round Pick Reply with quote

Bradford was drafted 2010, Fisher became coach in 2012 so his 1st 1st round pick would be Michael Brockers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate TEAM sport

You could nail that first pick and still have garbage throughout the rest of the roster. Right now we have a roster full of guys who mailed it in.

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Head Coaches and Their First Round Pick Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Bradford was drafted 2010, Fisher became coach in 2012 so his 1st 1st round pick would be Michael Brockers.
Laughing

drunk post let it slide.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
FleaFlicker597

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Head Coaches and Their First Round Pick Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Laughing

drunk post let it slide.

Yeah my bad. Here I offer you this as an apology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z447qc4ZRRA

^Kiltman on the sig^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Reid - Donovan McNabb

What does this thread mean?
FleaFlicker597

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
Andy Reid - Donovan McNabb

What does this thread mean?

It was suppose to show how the coach and their first first round pick's successes are tied. But nevermind.

^Kiltman on the sig^
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, had Andy gone with Akili Smith he may not have been coaching very long.

So in some respects, yeah, picking Donovan gave us some success. Just not the Super Bowl.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
Kiltman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we sign an defensive guy for HC if he will take Manti Te'O. He is far from our biggest need, but there is chance Joeckel, Geno, and even Wilson will go before we pick so he probably would be the best available.

And oh man that sig...think that was like the 3rd or 4th sig I made ha.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems, like everything in the NFL, to be more accurately tied with the QB. Nobody lasts long in this league without an elite QB unless their D is legendary.

If Shanahan did not get RG3, there would be discussions of finding a replacement. However, now that there is hope for their future, Shanahan's job is secure.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a true rebuild there is no blue print and no "guide" to drafting.. We could get guys running the show who have a BPA mentality and we take any one in the 1st round end from the Best WR/Long Snapper /Safety/Linebacker/Quarterback/etc.. just depends whats available.. If thats there scene... which it could be ya know.

Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offensive line is so bad tho that i think the general consensus will be to use our picks on day 1 and 2 wisely. doesnt have to be the first round..

RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the top 10 Pick we need an elite player. Especially at OT, DE or DT. Or ofc QB

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer in the "inside out" approach to rebuilding a team. I think you have to get your franchise QB, but if there isn't one available you build the lines. Why?

Offensive lines can keep a mediocre (caretaker) or developing QB upright. They improve the run game, which is a young QBs best friend and can disguise the faults of a mediocre QB.

To win with defense you have to stop the run and rush the passer. Both start with the line.

Right now, there are no "1st round" QBs in this draft that wow me. The best guys may end up being the "developmental" players in rounds 2-4.

Right now, with a top 10 pick, I'd be looking hard at Star, Hank, Joekel, or Lewan. Really depending on who ends up being the coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: