Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Barkevious Mingo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Barkevious Mingo Reply with quote

To preface this post, I know college sacks are not a great indicator of NFL production, but should his lack of production (only 3 sacks on the year, one of which came against Towson) be cause for concern? (Especially considering he plays across from Sam Montgomery, and rarely sees double teams.) It seems Devin Taylor unlike Mingo has been downgraded for lack of production, despite having similar production, and better size and arguably overall athleticism. For every JPP there is an Aaron Maybin, and I would feel much more comfortable about Mingo should he get a few more sacks, especially considering he is only 240 pounds and will likely have to add weight and thus lose some burst to be an every down NFL player.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/365/1024481/sack/split.html
http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/648/1018187/index.html
TommyC376

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge Mingo fan. His body type screams Aaron Maybin to me ... 6'7 240 wayyyy to thin and lanky. He needs to bulk up more. His measurables would be a godsend for a TE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Mingo can bulk up that much. I look at guys like Nick Perry and Sam Montgomery who were listed around 250 last year. They looked the part. And Perry weighed in at around 270 at the combine and Montgomery is listed at 270 now. Mingo just looks like a stick figure.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mingo may not get sacks, but he is in the backfield a lot. I'd still take him top 10 because his talent is off the charts, he's explosive, and moves well. Really raw still, but I think he's got too much upside.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Jet Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Mingo may not get sacks, but he is in the backfield a lot. I'd still take him top 10 because his talent is off the charts, he's explosive, and moves well. Really raw still, but I think he's got too much upside.

Exactly. He is always wreaking havoc even when he doesn't come up with a sack.

And I see him more as Aldon Smith than Aaron Maybin.
Falastine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
I'm not a huge Mingo fan. His body type screams Aaron Maybin to me ... 6'7 240 wayyyy to thin and lanky. He needs to bulk up more. His measurables would be a godsend for a TE

6-7? Mingo would be lucky to hit 6-4 at the combine. What are you talking about?
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Life wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Was just about to say Aldon Smith - I think that's a fair comparison.
Jet Life

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

All the things people are saying about Mingo were being said about Smith.

Alot of people felt Aldon was too small and that he would only be a situational pass rusher. And that's what he was last year. And even with being just that, he still got 15 sacks.

Mingo is around the same size and plays the same as Aldon. If he's still there when the Jets are on the clock, he's the guy I want.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has quite the first name.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Life wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Alot of people felt Aldon was too small and that he would only be a situational pass rusher. And that's what he was last year. And even with being just that, he still got 15 sacks.

Mingo is around the same size and plays the same as Aldon. If he's still there when the Jets are on the clock, he's the guy I want.

Huh? Aldon showed up at 6'4" 265. He was never too small, the question was if he was a good enough athlete to play standing up IIRC. He was very similar to JPP in that their numbers weren't off the charts, but their functional strength, burst and technique were off the charts good.

Mingo is a strange one to find a comparsion to. The numbers will show him almost exactly like Manny Lawson. But watching him play he is SO much better. He's more explosive off the edge and gets into the backfield so quickly. I can see a little bit of Kamerion Wimbley in him as well.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Life wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Size does not determine how good you'll be, otherwise Daniel McCullers would be the sure fire #1 pick. What are 2 things that Aldon Smith and Mingo do similarly?
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Jet Life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Size does not determine how good you'll be, otherwise Daniel McCullers would be the sure fire #1 pick. What are 2 things that Aldon Smith and Mingo do similarly?

Size doesn't determine how good you'll be, but its fair to compare 2 people with similar size and athleticism.

Both also have that 1st step quickness and non-stop motor
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Life wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Size doesn't determine how good you'll be, but its fair to compare 2 people with similar size and athleticism.

Both also have that 1st step quickness and non-stop motor

I was merely commenting on body shape, both leaner and long and have an explosive 1st step.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Jet Life wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

Mostly use their superior athleticism for their size to get after the QB.

I was unsure about Aldon Smith when he came out because he was almost never touched by the opposing OL, so i figured he may be soft and liked to avoid contact. When in actuality i think he moved so fluidly and quickly that he was just moving around the field as efficiently as he could, trying to get to the ball.

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falastine wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

6-7? Mingo would be lucky to hit 6-4 at the combine. What are you talking about?
I got his height mixed up with the DE from Oregon. My bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: