Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How the Steelers stabilized

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: How the Steelers stabilized Reply with quote

Quote:
“We had our down moment,” Dwyer said. “We showed how tough we are by flipping it around.”

On Cincinnati’s next possession, something strange and wonderful happened. In football parlance, it’s called a turnover: t-u-r-n-o-v-e-r. The Steelers got a break when Andy Dalton’s flubbed pass attempt banged off a helmet and into the waiting arms of LaMarr Woodley.

A few plays later, Heath Miller made two beautiful catches — one for a touchdown, the other for a two-point conversion — and the Steelers somehow went to the half tied, 14-14.

Since then, they have outscored their opponents, 61-35, and have looked like an entirely different football team.

Wallace is catching passes again — and then running really fast. He looked like the anchor in a 4x100 Olympic relay on his touchdown Sunday, prompting analyst Phil Simms to say, “That might be as fast as I’ve ever seen anyone run on an NFL field.”

The defense, still without Polamalu, now stiffens late in games and sometimes tackles quarterbacks.

The running game, still without Mendenhall, looks more punishing than at any time since the Super Bowl run of 2005.

Give Haley credit for going to the ground in that dire situation in Cincinnati. Give him credit, too, for reducing his menu of running plays since then. He’s shown to be quite adaptable to his new environs.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/2913977-85/steelers-dwyer-game-haley-running-cincinnati-starkey-bengals-drive-football#ixzz2BeZKx62b
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How the Steelers stabilized Reply with quote

SouthwestSteel wrote:
Quote:
“We had our down moment,” Dwyer said. “We showed how tough we are by flipping it around.”

On Cincinnati’s next possession, something strange and wonderful happened. In football parlance, it’s called a turnover: t-u-r-n-o-v-e-r. The Steelers got a break when Andy Dalton’s flubbed pass attempt banged off a helmet and into the waiting arms of LaMarr Woodley.

A few plays later, Heath Miller made two beautiful catches — one for a touchdown, the other for a two-point conversion — and the Steelers somehow went to the half tied, 14-14.

Since then, they have outscored their opponents, 61-35, and have looked like an entirely different football team.

Wallace is catching passes again — and then running really fast. He looked like the anchor in a 4x100 Olympic relay on his touchdown Sunday, prompting analyst Phil Simms to say, “That might be as fast as I’ve ever seen anyone run on an NFL field.”

The defense, still without Polamalu, now stiffens late in games and sometimes tackles quarterbacks.

The running game, still without Mendenhall, looks more punishing than at any time since the Super Bowl run of 2005.

Give Haley credit for going to the ground in that dire situation in Cincinnati. Give him credit, too, for reducing his menu of running plays since then. He’s shown to be quite adaptable to his new environs.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/2913977-85/steelers-dwyer-game-haley-running-cincinnati-starkey-bengals-drive-football#ixzz2BeZKx62b

Haley gets props here, and Adams has also helped the OL and the running game. I still think Dwyer has the best vision of the RB's and that has helped as well. Could be interesting to see how 34 is with the new play of the OL.

Maybe the defense is better without Troy? Maybe a simpler defense is better overall, seems like it when you dominate the champs in their own back yard despite the officiating. I am in no hurry to have Troy back if this team keeps playing like this. If Troy isn't 100%, don't risk, that would be my approach.

What upcoming improvements to look forward to :

92 getting into football shape and getting his game back
56 is in the seconds half and always plays better then
OL keeps getting better and Haley will be more confident in the running game
23 , 24 and 28 will keep getting better
98 is getting his play back as well.
94 might get some of his speed back as well

This team is getting better by the week after a bad start . If there are no more injuries, I am looking forward to the playoffs as long as the secondary plays man coverage because I think zone isn't as effective with these players. the 3 cbs can cover very well, glad Taylor seems to have got his game back.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haley gets props for play calling and sticking with the run more, but it's obvious something happened in that lockeroom that day. This teams been on a roll ever since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of credit going around but M. Tomlin needs credit also, because this team could of hit the toilet similar 2009. But he kept the players focused and his players have rewarded him with great play. LeBeau, for all the critcisim he received during those road losses needs credit for making adjustments and replacing a struggling Mundy.

The Steelers are the epitome of team and this winning streak has proven it thus far. With some slight improvements on offense as well as defense this team will be primed for a big second half push.

I can't wait till Mendy returns as I believe he will be for the first time used to his potential.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
There is a lot of credit going around but M. Tomlin needs credit also, because this team could of hit the toilet similar 2009. But he kept the players focused and his players have rewarded him with great play. LeBeau, for all the critcisim he received during those road losses needs credit for making adjustments and replacing a struggling Mundy.

The Steelers are the epitome of team and this winning streak has proven it thus far. With some slight improvements on offense as well as defense this team will be primed for a big second half push.

I can't wait till Mendy returns as I believe he will be for the first time used to his potential.

It kind of stinks that this will be the first time Mendenhall will be able to run behind a good run blocking O-line. I think it might be possible to resign him as he really hasn't ever been great for us. He could be primed to take a huge step if we can keep him next season.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: