Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason-to-do-list Growing by the Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Offseason-to-do-list Growing by the Day Reply with quote

Early on in the season, you could make a competitive argument that this team was as deep and talented as it had been in years minus the offensive line and quarterback. Midway through the season, however it appears as if the to-do-list for the offseason is continually growing.

There is no conceivable way that the team will be able to address every need, especially with a quality player at each position.

Do you ride with the quarterbacks you have now? How many positions on the offensive line are up for grabs? With Heap likely gone and King regressing, TE looks vulnerable. LSH is a free agent while Wells and Williams are injury prone to say the least.

Lenon is on his last leg while Bradley apparently isn't the answer, so who nabs the job next to Daryl in 2013? Schofield is an UFA, as is Groves, so depth at OLB is a huge concern not to mention talent. Adrian isn't getting any young while Rhodes is a free agent in 2014; who are you grooming at safety especially with Johnson perhaps gone next year? Cornerback is always an area where depth is needed and only Peterson, Gay and Fleming are signed through this year.

So that begs the question, what positions are MUST address areas and what positions may have to be put on the back burner?

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Offseason-to-do-list Growing by the Day Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
Early on in the season, you could make a competitive argument that this team was as deep and talented as it had been in years minus the offensive line and quarterback. Midway through the season, however it appears as if the to-do-list for the offseason is continually growing.

There is no conceivable way that the team will be able to address every need, especially with a quality player at each position.

Do you ride with the quarterbacks you have now? How many positions on the offensive line are up for grabs? With Heap likely gone and King regressing, TE looks vulnerable. LSH is a free agent while Wells and Williams are injury prone to say the least.

Lenon is on his last leg while Bradley apparently isn't the answer, so who nabs the job next to Daryl in 2013? Schofield is an UFA, as is Groves, so depth at OLB is a huge concern not to mention talent. Adrian isn't getting any young while Rhodes is a free agent in 2014; who are you grooming at safety especially with Johnson perhaps gone next year? Cornerback is always an area where depth is needed and only Peterson, Gay and Fleming are signed through this year.

So that begs the question, what positions are MUST address areas and what positions may have to be put on the back burner?

Bolded: In 2014.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Offseason-to-do-list Growing by the Day Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

You're comfortable rolling into next year with him as a starter again?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Offseason-to-do-list Growing by the Day Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

I'm not sure. All I do know is he's under contract thru next season.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Offseason-to-do-list Growing by the Day Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
JohnnyV wrote:

I'm not sure. All I do know is he's under contract thru next season.

I don't think you can go into next season with a 37 year old Lenon as your starting ILB. He's an UFA. It's time to move one. I don't think you can realistically go into next year with Adam Snyder as your RG. He should be released. Levi is likely to get first crack at LT while Massie should continue to develop. I'd guess that RG is the only position on the OL to be replaced. Heap won't be back for sure, so you need a body there.

RG, ILB and TE all are musts. What if Kolb doesn't come back effective? You're gonna pay him that bonus?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris Lenon isn't 37. He turns 35 in 2 weeks.

You might that think that means anything but it does. The difference is play between 2 years difference has been shown many times over the years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:

You might that think that means anything but it does. The difference is play between 2 years difference has been shown many times over the years.

I got he and London Fletchers age confused for some reason.

So could this be Clark Haggans 2.0 ala 2011 when Schofield wasn't ready and there no other alternatives...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

I got he and London Fletchers age confused for some reason.

So could this be Clark Haggans 2.0 ala 2011 when Schofield wasn't ready and there no other alternatives...

Maybe. Just have to wait and see. As you correctly, noted we can't fix all of our problems in 1 offseason. Rome wasn't built in a day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sucks Schofield is lost for the year but I would not be ready to give up on him. Maybe draft a later round OLB for depth and development.

I'm with you on Lenon but I don't see the team moving away from him next year. I do see them bring in a guy to learn under him from the first 3 rounds.

RB is a huge worry for me. Don't think you can go in to next season with the 4 guys we have or I think this will happen all over again.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
RB is a huge worry for me. Don't think you can go in to next season with the 4 guys we have or I think this will happen all over again.

The thing is, Give LSH and Wipo a solid OL in frton of them and we have a good enough running game right there. It is not going to wow people. It is not going to carry the team. But right now with the way it seems the offensive coaching staff want to build this team (Via the Air) Running Back is not a position that needs to be spent on.

It keeps pointing to the fact that we don't have any set identity on offense. Multiple high first round picks on both WR's and RB's in the last 2-3 years. Really in the salary cap era you need to focus on a couple of areas that you really need to build the offense that you want.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB is the easiest position in the world to replace. I'm not worried about it even a little bit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing what Chris Ivory did on Monday night (and yes I realize that the oline of the Saints was getting a tremendous push), does anyone here wish we would have dealt a 7th rounder for him?

That was rumored to be what the asking price was.

Dude runs hard and has good moves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, personally. Our backs really aren't the problem. And Beanie's back this week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Not really, personally. Our backs really aren't the problem. And Beanie's back this week.

Have to agree here. Look at the top backs in the league right now and get an average of where they were selected..

based off nfl.com stats on rushing yards..

1. Adrian Peterson - 1st round
2. Marshawn Lynch - 1st round
3. Doug Martin - 1st round
4. Alfred Morris - 6th round
5. Arian Foster - Undrafted

And some well known names -

Maurice Jones-Drew - 2nd round
Frank Gore - 3rd round
Chris Johnson - 1st round
Jamaal Charles - 3rd round
LeSean McCoy - 2nd round
Ray Rice - 2nd round
Matt Forte - 2nd round

Not sure what I was trying to accomplish now with this example.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all top league backs though. That's really not what we're looking for. For what we need in the offense Whiz seems to run, we can get most anybody in here to replace Beanie/Williams, neither of which were even productive during their short 2012 appearances.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: