Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A player on the rise... time to take notice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Could Isa Abdul-Quddus be our SS of the future?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Maybe
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: A player on the rise... time to take notice! Reply with quote

Over the course of the season I’ve tried to keep a positive outlook on the defensive side of the ball. Like Most Saints fans I’ve had my ups and downs throughout this season so far but there’s actually been some very promising play by some of our younger defenders this season if you can look past the obvious disappointments.

One player among all others has stood out the most to me and it might not be who you would think…

Isa Abdual-Quddus FS/SS Saints

Of course there are younger players that might rank ahead of Quddus, the obvious being Cameron Jordan, Martez Wilson and Akiem Hicks but Quddus’s play when looked at more closely may surprise you. Statistics are overrated in the NFL and a player’s impact on a football game can go much further than a stat sheet. Quddus has been Spagnuolo’s dime safety in the Saints scheme this season and seems to actually be adapting to the new DC’s defensive scheme quite well (some would say better than any other Safety on the roster). His play in coverage has slowly decreased the playing time of starting strong safety Roman Harper and regulated the Saints defensive leader to more of a dime linebacker role.

For those who find it had to not focus on the stat sheet in today’s NFL, here is a surprising one you may not know about…
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/32-observations-week-9/
Quote:
New Orleans Saints: While dime safety Isa Abdul-Quddus has been in coverage for 109 snaps, he has only allowed two catches for 14 yards. His 0.13 Yards Per Coverage Snap is tied for the lowest amongst safeties.

Considering the problems in coverage, lack of defensive pressure on opposing quarterbacks & the fact that Quddus comes into the game in obvious passing situations this stat for a dime defender is astounding of over 100 defensive snaps!

Quddus has always been a very physical defender but now with his opportunities to show what he can do in coverage, he’s earned the right to be talked about as one of our younger defenders with a promising future just like we do with others… we just have to finally take notice.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Harper41

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey White is our SS of the future, if the coaching staff is smart. I love Quddus though, we need to see more of him and White at safety and less of Jenkins and Harper. It wouldn't upset me to see 2 new starting safeties next year, despite my love for Roman.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Corey White is our SS of the future, if the coaching staff is smart. I love Quddus though, we need to see more of him and White at safety and less of Jenkins and Harper. It wouldn't upset me to see 2 new starting safeties next year, despite my love for Roman.

THe more and more Spags talks about White, I HIGHLY doubt he will move him from corner.

Spagnuolo likes him to Ron Bartell of who he had in St. Louis. Bartell was also a big physical corner from a small school college that Spags groomed. Spags says it just takes him for these guys to come around to what he wants but make no mistake, Spags likes big physical bodies on the edges and White is a perfect fit for what he wants to do at the corner position.

Corey White is at corner to stay.

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

THe more and more Spags talks about White, I HIGHLY doubt he will move him from corner.

Spagnuolo likes him to Ron Bartell of who he had in St. Louis. Bartell was also a big physical corner from a small school college that Spags groomed. Spags says it just takes him for these guys to come around to what he wants but make no mistake, Spags likes big physical bodies on the edges and White is a perfect fit for what he wants to do at the corner position.

He shouldn't be a corner. I've been saying it since draft day, he is a SS.

Not to mention, he isn't exactly huge. He's taller than Robinson and Greer, but leaner than Robinson. Robinson has a bigger body, and coaching can teach him to use it better.

My ideal secondary would be a 3 safety set.

Quddus + Jenkins deep, with White lining up on the strong side. On rushing downs, move White to CB and put Harper in at SS, take out Jenkins.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He shouldn't be a corner. I've been saying it since draft day, he is a SS.

Not to mention, he isn't exactly huge. He's taller than Robinson and Greer, but leaner than Robinson. Robinson has a bigger body, and coaching can teach him to use it better.

My ideal secondary would be a 3 safety set.

Quddus + Jenkins deep, with White lining up on the strong side. On rushing downs, move White to CB and put Harper in at SS, take out Jenkins.

If and its a big if White is moved to Safety it would be as a reserve FS behind Jenkins when Quddus is moved into the starting SS role and Harper is shiped out.

A 3 safety rotation of Jenkins, Quddus & White actually could and would work very well!

wow_junky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been saying it for ages, Quddus is a play maker. Last year he had 3 forced fumbles in less than 200 snaps, in preseason he had 2 FFs and an int. he just needs more play time, especially when Jenkins is playing like garbage.

Oh and he can cover, something our entire D seems unable to do!

To answer the question, he's our FS of the future, not SS Wink
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
Been saying it for ages, Quddus is a play maker. Last year he had 3 forced fumbles in less than 200 snaps, in preseason he had 2 FFs and an int. he just needs more play time, especially when Jenkins is playing like garbage.

Either way, I agree with you that Quddus is a playmaker and needs to see the field more. I doubt Spagnuolo will move Jenkins or that the Saints will be willing to give up on him yet. I see Spags using Jenkins and Quddus together as the future starters. Who plas ss and fs i guess is up for debate.

I do know that majority of Quddus snaps is at SS while subbing for Harper so theres no reason to believe that he couldent play that position full time.

Raves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

Either way, I agree with you that Quddus is a playmaker and needs to see the field more. I doubt Spagnuolo will move Jenkins or that the Saints will be willing to give up on him yet. I see Spags using Jenkins and Quddus together as the future starters. Who plas ss and fs i guess is up for debate.

I do know that majority of Quddus snaps is at SS while subbing for Harper so theres no reason to believe that he couldent play that position full time.

I'm pretty sure both of Spags safeties are interchangeable able to play SS and FS. Jenkins is getting better at becoming more technically sound with his tackling again and I think once he gets back to where he was when he first came out and him with Quddus will make a great tandem. I still thinking looking to get a guy like Phillips coming in wouldn't be a bad idea. Let's us move Jenkins back to CB and 3rd safety sets where I think he would do well as he wasn't a bad CB, he just wasn't able to play against the elite WRs.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure both of Spags safeties are interchangeable able to play SS and FS.

THis is very true... it is what spags wants out of his safities and is also a big reason why Harper isn't a good fit. You can basically toss out the whole FS/SS thing once spags gets this defense the way he wants it. Jenkins, Quddus & White all have the size, range and coverage ability Spags likes in his safities and I honestly feel that is your future safety rotation in 2013.

I see Harper traded for either draft picks or draft positioning.

wow_junky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

I'm pretty sure both of Spags safeties are interchangeable able to play SS and FS. Jenkins is getting better at becoming more technically sound with his tackling again and I think once he gets back to where he was when he first came out and him with Quddus will make a great tandem. I still thinking looking to get a guy like Phillips coming in wouldn't be a bad idea. Let's us move Jenkins back to CB and 3rd safety sets where I think he would do well as he wasn't a bad CB, he just wasn't able to play against the elite WRs.

Jenkins tackling is awful, and seems to be getting worse, he's missed the most tackles of ANY player this season by PFFs stats!
Raves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
Raves wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

Jenkins tackling is awful, and seems to be getting worse, he's missed the most tackles of ANY player this season by PFFs stats!

and PFF also has Brees outside of the top 5 QBs and Alex Smith in it.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jenkins tackling is awful, and seems to be getting worse, he's missed the most tackles of ANY player this season by PFFs stats

Scoop, If you are judging a player by PFF stats... then your in no mans land!

Jenkins has has a terrible begining of the season as a tackler but to say he's getting worse... ur just flat out wrong! the last 3 games Jenkins has shown big strides in this area!

Roman Harper has actually been the one who's tackling has started to regress as this season goes on.

wow_junky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB rankings are very subjective, missed tackles aren't!

I haven't noticed an improvement in Jenkins, but I'll keep a close eye out tomorrow and see if Jenkins general bad play is clouding my judgement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: