Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New Names Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: New Names Mock Reply with quote

Cut:
Woodson

Resigned:
Sheilds
EDS

Round One:
Jonathan Banks CB Mississippi St. 6'1" 185

BVA pick. Remember him? A ton of mocks last year had us interested in him but haven't seen any this year. I think 2010 was a career year for Williams and don't see him getting back to that level. If that's the case, he priced himself off the team in 2014. Shields and Banks on the outside with Hayward in the slot? Yes, please.

Round Two:
Cory Grissom DL South Florida 6'2" 315

Second round almost always gets a "Huh?" from us. Does again. With Pickett and Wilson being free agents here is an under the radar big boy that could fill their roles. Has his Predator sack "dance" down.

Round Three:
Jamie Collins OLB Southern Miss 6'3" 245

No Walden and no Zombo back next year. Dancing Adds quality depth to the OLB corp and with just Moses there now we need it.

Round Four:
Jawan Jamison RB Rutgers 5'8" 200

Physical runner, good in short yardage situations, decent vision, consistently gains yards after first contact.

Round Four (comp):
Nick Kasa TE Colorado 6'6" 270

Big, strong, athletic kid dripping with potential. Came to school as an All-American D lineman and played there until switching late in his junior year. Committed run blocker but raw in the passing game. A huge upside makes him an ideal candidate to take over Crabtree's role as blocking TE.

Round Five:
P.J. Lonergan C LSU 6'4" 305

We need a back up center. He's a pretty decent one. His first name is "something J". That's a good enough reason for me.

Round Six:
Cierre Wood RB ND 6'0" 215

As physically talented as any back in the draft. Good size, speed, and vision. If he figures out he is a one cut N/S runner he could be very good at the next level. Low risk HIGH reward pick.

Round Seven:
Rashard Hall FS Clemson 6'1" 215

Not nearly as impressed with the safety class as many seem to be. Think almost all of the names we see thrown around in mocks here are taken way too early. Don't see a huge drop of from them to Hall and he's a much better value in the seventh.

As the name of the mock suggests it looks a lot different than most of the recent ones around here. Bored and tired of seeing the same names over and over again so I threw this one together.
No WR would be my personal knock on this one. while I think we take one, we've seen Woods', Patton's, King's, and Bumphis' names enough already so I went a different route.
Fire away.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.

Last edited by wgbeethree on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a reason the Banks bandwagon fell apart around here is because we all love Davon House. We had no idea what we had when we went into preseason this year and he blew up the San Diego game and IMO really played well all year even though he was injured. I wonder about his ball skills but I think he is a starting CB in the NFL. I like the rest of the draft, I really like Wood, I think there is a lot of potential with most of those picks.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still on the Banks bandwagon, I just do not think the Packers have a realistic shot at getting him. If he is on the board when the Pack picks, I will be yelling at the television for Ted to run up their with that card. That selection would make for an elite secondary even though Woody is declining or out the door!

Unheralded SCC linemen still stand a chance at the next level because of the level of competition they have seen, I like that line of thinking everytime. Lonergan fits that thought process.

Collins has the speed, just wonder if he is physical enough and will get off blocks at the next level.

Grissom is a bit of a project yet for me to like in Round 2, but the frame would help out Raji inside and prepare for the departure of Pickett!!
packattack86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk much about Grissom but I'm not a fan of drafting a CB in the first 3 rds let a lone the 1st. Unless we lose Shields for some reason we have him, Hayward, Tramon, and House. House has upside so no need for Banks IMO. Give me a DL in the 1st, the trenches is where the Packers must get better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
Idk much about Grissom but I'm not a fan of drafting a CB in the first 3 rds let a lone the 1st. Unless we lose Shields for some reason we have him, Hayward, Tramon, and House. House has upside so no need for Banks IMO.

Pretty much this. I appreciate the effort in trying to discuss other prospects, but, not a fan of the value.

Going CB 1st is just redundant, for lack of a better word. S is where the secondary really needs a lift.

Lorde <33333333
The Kuhn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Nice Nice...

Love me some Banks. Kid is a stud and in such a deep defensive draft, I wouldn't be surprised to see him available. Sure, CB isn't our biggest need by any means but adding playmakers to our secondary sure isn't going to hurt anything. He definitely makes Tramon expendable. What is your thought on him playing some snaps at FS? He certainly has the size to play the position.

Don't know much about Grissom, but I'm all for adding size and depth to the Dline.
Collins could probably play inside and is a solid prospect. Good pick.
Meh on Jamison, mostly because we already have him on the roster in Harris. If we go RB I hope he's got size and good vision. Montee Ball type would be perfect.
Kasa is a raw, under the radar guy at TE who could was just coming around at Colorado. I like him in the 4th better than Kelce or Escobar in the 2nd.
LOL at "something J" Laughing
2 RB is a nogo for me personally. Where are they gonna fit on the roster with Harris, Green, Starks and Saine? Pick 3.
Don't know anything about Hall but I'd rather see FS addressed earlier.

All in all this is a solid mock. Not my favorite but there are some really good prospects here.
cooters22

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting a corner would be the same as drafting a qb in the first round. Only way I could see it is if Tyrone ends up getting traded or cut to save some cash.

The rest of your mock is ok, not sure I'm real fired up about the whole thing.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think corner is strong enough that we should pass on a BPA type.

Williams is going to be 30 and let's face it, he's only had one REALLY good year. If he doesn't regain that form his 2014 cap number is probably not something we are super excited to see. 8 million for what he is giving us isn't my idea of value. Definitely not a long term solution or fixture at #1 at this point. Best case scenario is two more years in my opinion and I don't really think that is all that likely.

Shields played great at the end of the year but we don't know if he is going to be extended or play on a one year tender. He's been rather up and down throughout his career.

Hayward is much better in the slot that outside.

I like House but he was banged up his Senior year and injured his first two here. If he can stay healthy I like what he brings but I wouldn't bet on it enough to pass on an IMO far superior player. I'd love him as our #3 going forward though.

Jarrett Bush is… well, I've seen it best in someone's sig. I'll paraphrase, "I like Jarrett Bush I just don't want to see him playing cornerback."

I'm not real worried about CB but if one is the BPA it's a position I don't hesitate to select for us. Banks is the real deal and a year from today could be our best corner. I jump all over that pick in a heartbeat obviously.

As for him playing FS. He could but I think outside corner is where he is best suited. Reps are just too important at S for us. Doesn't really play to his strengths and has no experience that I know of. It would probaly take two or three years for him to "get up to speed" at FS where he could step in day one at corner.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:

justo wrote:
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
I don't think corner is strong enough that we should pass on a BPA type.

Williams is going to be 30 and let's face it, he's only had one REALLY good year. If he doesn't regain that form his 2014 cap number is probably not something we are super excited to see. 8 million for what he is giving us isn't my idea of value. Definitely not a long term solution or fixture at #1 at this point. Best case scenario is two more years in my opinion and I don't really think that is all that likely.

Shields played great at the end of the year but we don't know if he is going to be extended or play on a one year tender. He's been rather up and down throughout his career.

Hayward is much better in the slot that outside.

I like House but he was banged up his Senior year and injured his first two here. If he can stay healthy I like what he brings but I wouldn't bet on it enough to pass on an IMO far superior player. I'd love him as our #3 going forward though.

Jarrett Bush is… well, I've seen it best in someone's sig. I'll paraphrase, "I like Jarrett Bush I just don't want to see him playing cornerback."

I'm not real worried about CB but if one is the BPA it's a position I don't hesitate to select for us. Banks is the real deal and a year from today could be our best corner. I jump all over that pick in a heartbeat obviously.

As for him playing FS. He could but I think outside corner is where he is best suited. Reps are just too important at S for us. Doesn't really play to his strengths and has no experience that I know of. It would probaly take two or three years for him to "get up to speed" at FS where he could step in day one at corner.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!! Applause Thank GOD someone else sees through the hollow fanboy attitude for Slowpoke but I say cut the damn cord now. He's owed 7-8 mil next year when Rodgers, Raji, and Matthews will ALL need extensions. Keep in mind that Nick Collins was playing behind him that year and the DPOY was on the other side of the field...

On the other hand, I wouldn't go CB in the first either but I wouldn't mind Banks as long as we addressed Safety almost immediately after that. Think I'd switch out the Jamie Collins pick for DJ Swearinger.

Other than that, I think you've been reading my mind a few of these picks. I completely agree with you on the Grissom pick and while I would rather not draft a RB, Cierre Wood is VERY underrated and as I said in another post: he's the Rodney Dangerfield of this year's RB class. I also like the Jawan Jamison pick but I really don't see the need to draft 2 RB's in this class. I'd pick one and switch the other.

Like where you went with this draft though.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Swearinger enough but he's in every other mock and as the name suggests I was trying to make a mock without the same guys we always see. Most of the safeties in this class I see mocked to us aren't a upgrade (or at least a big enough one) to what McMillian/Burnett can bring to the table and guys like Hall, Miles, or McDougald aren't so far behind them that I see a bunch of value in the mid rounds. It's a perceived needs but that doesn't always affect TT's drafting.

As for taking two RBs. Our corp right now consists of Harris, Green, Starks, and Saine. Much like my CB analysis I just don't see a reason to pass on a BPA type because of what we currently have. Harris played very well down the stretch but probably isn't the back we are looking for long term. Green and Starks have injury concerns. Saine is a 3rd down back only. Jamison and Wood both have serious upside in my book. Let them all fight it out and the four best stay. Competition is good. Harris, Green, Jamison, and Wood looks like a pretty servicable backfield with plenty of upside to me. Worst comes to worst maybe you wasted a sixth round pick. That means we are missing out on a Schlauderhoff, Elmore, Wynn, or Underwood type talent. I'd be ok with putting that at risk for doubling up on RB with two very talented guys. There's two ways to find a really good back IMO. Invest heavily in a stud or bring in a BUNCH of guys until you hit on one. The first one isn't really an option since we don't have a ton of money to invest in a back and there isn't a "sure fire" one in the draft so the second one is the way I went.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:

justo wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: