Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rate Heckert's draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cattleman78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownieTheElf wrote:
I also find it hard to believe to get a F for a late round pick.

When you have some U.D.F.A's like Kitchen,Fort etc. contributing a 7th. rounder like Clifton Geathers deserves an F for not making the team.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
cattleman78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8601157/nfl-midseason-all-rookie-team

^
ESPN's all rookie team.

Weeden was an honorable mention at QB
Richardson is there at RB
Gordon is there at WR
Schwartz it there at RT
Wynn is there at DT

I'd say Heckert did just fine with his "reaches" this past offseason.

Not to mention that the pundits really think Gordon will be a #1 WR and we got him a year early compared to our upcoming 2nd rounder in what most view as the worst draft class in years.

Tom Heckert = Beast Mode

I'll add something to what you said about Gordan. If he was in the 2013 draft class he most likely is a first rounder. Probably in the 15 to 30 range. In order to get him we would have to trade up for him. We probably wouldn't but say we wanted him and like Brady Quinn he fell to pick 22. It would take our 2013 second rounder and a 2014 1st rounder. Heckert got him for just our 2013 2nd rounder. Heckert very likely got a number one receiver for a 2nd rounder. I'd do that 10 times out of 10 times. Schwartz is playing like a early second rounder. Well worth the pick. As far as trading picks up or down I like Heckert doing that. Sure most people like getting more picks but I give credit to teams that want a player like Richardson and trade up. Washington gave up a boatload of picks for R.G. III. R.G.III is playing well but Washington as a team isn't. Now the Redskins are without their 1st rounders the next two years. Snyder will most likely spend big in free agency. Garcon hardly looks like a bargain now. The Jags traded up for Blackmon. Fisher of the Rams was prepared to take him and reportedly was angry the Jags traded up for him. If Fisher wanted Blackmon he should have traded up for him like the Jags did and we did for Trent. Cowboys traded up for Claiborne. In 2011 we traded down with Atlanta than up for Taylor.

bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the grade for the 2010 and 2011 class should be flipped.

2010 saw a few more misses (hardesty, all the late picks) but Heckert hit big time in Ward and Haden.

The 2011 class is still up in the air. We havn't seen enough of Taylor, Sheard has regressed more than progressed. Hagg is turibad. Skrine has been hit or miss. Little still has alot to prove....

There's more questions than answers with the 2011 class than the 2010 class. We know what we have from that class now. and I think its worth a B-.
BrownieTheElf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
BrownieTheElf wrote:

When you have some U.D.F.A's like Kitchen,Fort etc. contributing a 7th. rounder like Clifton Geathers deserves an F for not making the team.

You're not weighing them that much though are you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownieTheElf wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:
BrownieTheElf wrote:

You're not weighing them that much though are you?

Not much but you do have to consider it a little.

cattleman78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
I think the grade for the 2010 and 2011 class should be flipped.

2010 saw a few more misses (hardesty, all the late picks) but Heckert hit big time in Ward and Haden.

The 2011 class is still up in the air. We havn't seen enough of Taylor, Sheard has regressed more than progressed. Hagg is turibad. Skrine has been hit or miss. Little still has alot to prove....

There's more questions than answers with the 2011 class than the 2010 class. We know what we have from that class now. and I think its worth a B-.

Yeah there are more questions about the 2011 class. There are more questions about the 2012 class also because of playing time. Some people would give the 2010 class a B-. Some people probably think I rated Ward to high because of pass coverage. As far as Hagg and Skrine they are a work in progress. After thinking it over I think maybe I should have graded Hagg at a D. Little deserves a C+ And Skrine a C. I'm not changing my grade on those two.

People rate players different and I am find with that. This is mostly what I think. Did I get everything right? No I didn't. It is what I think though. I have no problems with people disagreeing with me. I might add everyone was very polite in this thread.

JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review, but should point out that there's a reason you're supposed to wait 3 years to evaluate a draft class.

If we're not taking "value" into consideration I agree with the assessment. However, I don't feel that we got he most value and optimized our picks. With that said, his drafts were better than most other GMs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: