Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Something different: Joe Kapp and Topps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Something different: Joe Kapp and Topps Reply with quote

During the 60's Topps had a very lazy or intimidated photographer. Five times they used the same photograph for Joe Kapp, keeping him in a green uniform even when he was on the Vikings.

I decided to fix it (somewhat) Here are remakes of the 1968 & 69 cards, showing Joe as he should have / could have been.

1968 Joe Kapp card Remade by Darth_Brooks_, on Flickr

1969 Joe Kapp card Remade by Darth_Brooks_, on Flickr

If you've ever collected Football cards, I thought you might enjoy this.
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know neither the Calgary Stampeders nor the B.C. Lions ever wore green uniforms.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on the jersey changes. Now they look they way they way they should have looked to begin with.

Aout wrote:
What is wrong with all these Packer fans insulting and raging all the time?
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly where the green came from, but the originals look more like the uniform he wore in college at Cal, rather than anything he wore in the CFL or NFL.

http://www.calbears.com/view.gal?id=29871

Look at picture 4.

Based upon research, I suspect it has nothing to do with laziness, it has to do with licensing. Topps did not have the licensing rights to the NFL until 1982, so they wouldn't have had the ability to reproduce NFL helmets, logos, or uniforms (which is why you might notice that the Vikings' logo isn't right either). They only had the licensing rights to the AFL teams.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I'm not sure exactly where the green came from, but the originals look more like the uniform he wore in college at Cal, rather than anything he wore in the CFL or NFL.

Look at picture 4.

Based upon research, I suspect it has nothing to do with laziness, it has to do with licensing. Topps did not have the licensing rights to the NFL until 1982, so they wouldn't have had the ability to reproduce NFL helmets, logos, or uniforms (which is why you might notice that the Vikings' logo isn't right either). They only had the licensing rights to the AFL teams.

The explanation could be something even simpler. The card looks like an artist's rendition of a photograph that was probably shot in black and white.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Darth Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:

Look at picture 4.

Take another look; http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Football/1969

Bart Starr was definitely in the NFL.

At the time they could put up logos - you see team logos on the corners of the cards, they just preferred head shots. Beside Bart Starr, Alex Karras, Ray Nitschke and various other players are holding their helmets with the decoration on them. The uniforms could always be see - even in the 70's when they were airbrushing helmets in a color not found in nature.

From '70 to '81 the logos were gone resulting in a lot of head shots, sideline shots and some weird looks from confused eight year olds. After that the logos returned.

BTW, after looking at your link I do think it was a Cal picture. I know some shots got reused but this sets some kind of record.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: