Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post New Orleans Debacle Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Post New Orleans Debacle Mock Reply with quote

New GM Hired : Houston Texans Director of College Scouting Mike Maccagnan is hired as the new General Manager of the Philadelphia Eagles. He brings in Rick Dennison as head coach. The rest of the staff is as follows:

Head Coach : Rick Dennison
Offensive Coordinator : Matt LaFleur
QB Coach : Mike McDaniel
RB Coach : Anthony Lynn
WR Coach : J.D. Brookhart
TE Coach : Jon Embree
OL Coach : Bruce Matthews (I think the Tennessee Staff is Fired)

Defensive Coordinator : Greg Robinson
DL Coach : Keith Millard
LB Coach/Assistant HC : Frank Bush (See Bruce Matthews)
Secondary Coach :Tony Gibson

Special Teams Coordinator : Richard Hightower

$22 Million in cap space rolled over to 2013-14, This would reportedly put us at the cap limit.

Cuts
Michael Vick ($15,500,000 Saved Against the Cap)
Demetress Bell ($9,600,000 Saved Against the Cap)
Jason Babin ($3,845,000 Saved Against the Cap)
Cullen Jenkins ($6,500,000 Saved Against the Cap)
Mike Patterson ($2,900,000 Saved Against the Cap)
Nnamdi Asomugha ($11,300,000 Saved Against the Cap)
Jason Avant ($1,290,000 Saved Against the Cap)
Trent Edwards ($715,000 Saved Against the Cap)

Pay Cuts
Jason Peters (Reduces 2013 Cap Hit from $10,400,000 to $5,400,000)

This Brings us to a whopping $56,650,000 in cap room, allowing us to make some plays in free agency.

Re-Signed
The Philadelphia Eagles Re-Sign CB Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie to a 6 Year Contract

A good corner who is young and has upside. Gets a deal reminiscent of his cousin Antonio in NY, albeit a longer term deal. He's best as a number 2 corner, and corner is still an issue, but needing one new corner is better than needing 2 new corners.

The Philadelphia Eagles Re-Sign LB Akeem Jordan to a 2 Year Contract

Our best special teams player at linebacker who can play multiple linebacking positions. He's a guy thats good to have on your roster as a guy that helps you with your linebacker depth and coverage units.

The Philadelphia Eagles Re-Sign LS Jon Dorenbos to a 1 Year Contract

We need a long snapper, so we re-sign a guy who has been one of the best LS in football and is as consistent as it gets.

Free Agency
The Philadelphia Eagles Sign LT Jermon Bushrod to a 5 Year Contract

So far this season, the New Orleans Saints are averaging 5.59 Adjusted Line Yards off Left End and 4.45 ALY off Left Tackle, good for 3rd and 11th respectively in the NFL, per Football Outsiders. In addition, the same Saints OL has allowed just 13 sacks this season per Football Outsiders (2 to Bushrod, per Per Pro Football Weekly) and while that is partly due to Brees getting the ball out quickly, Bushrod is a good LT who fits the ZBS being brought in as he is athletic, and plays in a similar OL scheme in New Orleans. The Saints may be hamstrung as well, as they have a lot of money tied up in other places, have Charles Brown who was a 2nd round pick still in fold, and have to re-sign Jimmy Graham soon.

For a breakdown of the ALY stat and its definition, check Here

The Philadelphia Eagles Sign CB Sean Smith to a 6 Year Contract

A big, long, athletic corner who can match up with a number one, if Smith had any hands he'd be in the pro bowl discussion, and while Miami traded Vontae Davis, they may not be able to retain Smith, because Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Randy Starks and other key players are free agents and they may have to let Smith test the market. With a Brandon Flowers type contract the Eagles land the first visit with Smith and make him their new #1 corner and add youth to the position. He's shown an ability to match up with bigger number one receivers, and does the same here in Philadelphia. I think when it comes down to it, a starting RB and LT are more important when building around your young QB than a starting CB would be.

The Philadelphia Eagles Sign DT Terrance Knighton to a 3 Year Contract

While he has weight issues, Knighton is added as the NT in the front 4 to eat up blockers and be the anchor of the run defense. He's been good in Jacksonville when healthy and in shape, but a provision for weight control is put in the contract. Him playing next to Fletcher Cox should help him a lot as Fletcher is a better player than Tyson Alualu.

The Philadelphia Eagles Sign QB Matt Leinart to a 1 Year Contract

Veteran backup who knows the new offense. Takes Trent Edwards spot on the roster for all intent and purposes as the veteran number 2 or 3 QB.

The Philadelphia Eagles Sign LB Rey Maualuga to a 1 Year Contract

Brought in on a flier, Rey is given a prove it deal, and inserted into the competition for the starting SAM position. Coming out of USC he was seen as a thumper who stacks and sheds well and is aggressive, which we need on the strong side. Kendricks is kicked to the weakside, and working with a great LB coach like Frank Bush could really help Rey.

Draft
With a 6-10 record, the Philadelphia Eagles Have the #9 Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. With the starters along the OL taken care of (Addition of Bushrod, Peters back at RT, Herremans kicked to RG), and Cornerback (Sean Smith signing and DRC Re-signing) the needs heading into the draft are QB, WR, DL Depth, OL Depth, SLB, and Safety. of these needs QB (With Foles being unknown and from another staff) WR (Needing a big target for redzone and YAC purposes) and S are the biggest needs.

With the 9th Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Wilson has many things you look for in a franchise QB with good size at 6'2" 220, a strong and accurate arm, pocket presence, moxie, and toughness in the pocket, but he's got 3 things that hold him back. The first is his inconsistent release of the football, sometimes the ball gets out fast, others it looks slow, that is correctable however, and a good coach will fix that. The second issue is that his moxie will get the better of him and he'll trust his arm too much and force a pass, but thats something you learn to deal with when you make the plays he has. The third thing is the toughest one to swallow, and its his concussion history. Teams may shy away from him but he's the best QB available (Geno Smith went #1 to KC), and we really need a QB according to the new staff. He's got some Jay Cutler to his game, which could be a good and a bad, but he's a pretty damn good prospect.

With the 40th Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…WR Marcus Davis, Virginia Tech

A 6'4" 232 pound wide receiver who averages 19.1 yards a catch this season and can run after the catch Davis reminds me a lot of Demaryius Thomas of the Broncos. Despite being raw and playing with a struggling QB, he is on pace for 48 catches, 915 yards, 5 touchdowns this season, and he's got as much upside as any receiver in the draft. That said in such a deep class of receivers he falls into round 2 because of his rawness specifically as a route runner, but the new staff decides he's got superstar ability and takes him. He's the #1 receiver of the future, and will replace Maclin at the split end when his contract expires. In the meantime he'll be the #3 receiver and kick Jackson to the slot, where he has played a lot more than people give him credit for.

With the 71st Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…Safety Bacarri Rambo, Georgia

Rambo is a talented player for Georgia whose talent should make him a second round pick. The problem is, he has 2 drug suspensions and seems to be his worst enemy. He also at times takes bad angles to the football against the run and needs to be a better tackler, but his ball skills and range in the back end make him a viable starting free safety, potentially immediately. Nate Allen has been a good run defender this season, and adding a playmaking ballhawk next to him would be a huge upgrade over Kurt Coleman.

With the 102nd Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…Offensive Tackle, Xavier Nixon, Florida

A developmental tackle prospect, Nixon is a guy who has had an up and down Florida career, but is certainly as talented as any OT in the draft physically. He's got a long frame and is highly athletic, but he struggles with some of the nuances of the game, but shows flashes that he could be an elite LT in the SEC and potentially the NFL with proper coaching and grooming. Playing behind veterans like Jermon Bushrod and Jason Peters will only help as well. He could be a 4th round steal, and at this point, the risk outweighs the reward.

With the 145th Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…Linebacker Nico Johnson, Alabama

Johnson comes in as a potential option as a downhill SAM and challenges Rey Maualuga for the starting SAM spot, which will be a part time position as Ryans and Kendricks are the nickel linebackers. Both Johnson and Maualuga are big, physical, downhill linebackers who can stack and shed linebackers, and fits the mold of a true SAM linebacker in the NFL in a 43. Will they excel in coverage? No, but chances are they will have help in coverage, especially if on an elite tight end.

*The Eagles Trade RB Dion Lewis to the Green Bay Packers for their 5th round Pick. The Packers look to add a Sproles-esque element to their offense and think Lewis can be that guy.

With the 165th Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…Defensive End, Devin Taylor, South Carolina

Another physically talented player with length and plus athletic ability, Taylor looks the part of an NFL strong side defensive end, but he's lacked the production despite playing across from Jadeveon Clowney who may be the best end in college football. That said in the 5th round, he's another high risk high reward type prospect who could eventually be the long term strong side end if the new staff decides to move Graham to the right side.

With the 179th Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…Center, Dalton Freeman, Clemson

Added as the backup center, Freeman is a perfect fit for the ZBS being brought in, and as a backup to Jason Kelce. He is somewhat similar to Kelce, but if he adds weight, he could be an eventual starter in the NFL.

With the 225th Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…Defensive Tackle, Anthony McCloud, Florida State

Brought in a backup for the NT spot.

With the 235th Overall Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles Select…Guard, Earl Watford, James Madison

Backup guard with upside.

UDFA
TE Phillip Lutzenkirchen : Auburn

FB/TE Hybrid who comes in as a good blocker as a #3 tight end.

CB Greg Reid : Valdosta State

Solid upside as a nickel corner with huge punt return potential.

P Jackson Rice : Oregon

Big legged punter who can boom it with hangtime.

Wilson // Foles // Leinart
McCoy // Brown // Polk
Havilli
Celek // Harbor // Lutzenkirchen
Jackson // Maclin // Davis // Cooper // Cunningham
Bushrod // Nixon
Mathis // Watford
Kelce // Freeman
Herremans // Watkins
Peters // Menkin

Graham // Hunt // Taylor
Knighton // McCloud
Cox // Thorton
Cole // Curry
Maualuga // Johnson
Ryans // Chaney
Kendricks // Jordan
Rodgers-Cromartie // Marsh
Allen // Sims
Rambo // Coleman
Boykin // Reid
Smith // Hughes

Henery
Rice
Dorenbos
nlesthought

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the draft (aside from QB) but the 5 FAs doesn't remind you of Howie/AR assembling the "Dream Team" some on long term deals others brought in to be starters?

I honestly think if we come in with a whole new staff the roster will be changed over dramatically. Just my personal opinion.

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
I love the draft (aside from QB) but the 5 FAs doesn't remind you of Howie/AR assembling the "Dream Team" some on long term deals others brought in to be starters?

I honestly think if we come in with a whole new staff the roster will be changed over dramatically. Just my personal opinion.

I obviously like Wilson, but to each his own.

IIRC we have to spend like 85% of the cap. Also, its only really signing 2 big names, which we did back in 03 that got us to the Superbowl. I envision Johnson taking over the SAM spot sooner than later as well, so that cuts down to 3 starters a fringe starter who is a flier, and a backup QB thats been in the offense, which isn't out of the ordinary in free agency. 41 of the 53 players on the roster are home grown guys so its far from "Dream Teamish"

As far as a dramatic roster change, a new QB, #3 WR, LT, RCB, NT, SLB, RCB, FS, and P. Thats a lot of roster turnover.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like to us sign a free agent interior lineman, but everything else is fine. I don't believe Wilson will be there if we're picking outside the top five, but if we could land him I'd be amped.
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
I'd still like to us sign a free agent interior lineman, but everything else is fine. I don't believe Wilson will be there if we're picking outside the top five, but if we could land him I'd be amped.

I think the concussion issues will drop him some, but not totally out of the top 10.

As far as the interior lineman, I considered bringing in Antoine Caldwell, but he's 100% a backup here, and I think he would be looking for a starting job. And if he signed as a backup it would be later. In addition, Watkins' salary is guarenteed so we can't really cut him so it would be cheaper to go about it via drafting.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:

I think the concussion issues will drop him some, but not totally out of the top 10.

As far as the interior lineman, I considered bringing in Antoine Caldwell, but he's 100% a backup here, and I think he would be looking for a starting job. And if he signed as a backup it would be later. In addition, Watkins' salary is guarenteed so we can't really cut him so it would be cheaper to go about it via drafting.

I'd even say a swing tackle, guard player; we can't enter the year with Menkin and Xavier Nixon as our backup tackles.
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the draft, but we're bringing in more hired guns?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:

I'd even say a swing tackle, guard player; we can't enter the year with Menkin and Xavier Nixon as our backup tackles.

Under normal circumstances I would agree, however Dennison in his Denver days as OL coach and as O-Coordinator in Houston has always done a good job of doing what it takes to get young lineman to play quickly.
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
I like the draft, but we're bringing in more hired guns?

More? We have 40 of 53 players drafted by Philly. Again adding 3 starters, a backup QB who knows the offense and a flier player to compete for a job isn't out of the ordinary in free agency.

The hired guns in 2011 was an insane amount.
Vick
Young
Schmitt
Peters
Mathis
DeVan
Babin
Jenkins
Asomugha
Rodgers-Cromartie
Samuel
Page

All started some games for us. In addition we had:
Brown
Smith
Johnson
Landri
Tapp
Hanson
Anderson
Nelson
and Dorenbos

Thats nearly half the team, as opposed to less that 1/4 of the team.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge fan of Bushrod, but he might be the best we can do in FA. I would be surprised if Smith left Miami. Don't like Maluaga at all. I doubt Knighton is allowed to leave, maybe if they switch to a 3-4.

Don't like Rambo. Would prefer if we avoid QB in this draft, but I understand why Wilson is the picked. Rest is looks good.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one, but two former USC players being signed? I like it! Razz
Meco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to lie, I'd be pretty upset if our draft came out like that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a UofMichigan fan, Greg Robinson and Tony Gibson are 2 of the worst defensive coaches ever.

Tony Gibson's defensive backs are just terrible and his pass defenses show it. Also, half of the defense that Greg Robinson called at Michigan was dropping 8 and rushing 3.

Juan Castillo or Todd Bowles look like HoF coaches compared to these 2.

That being said, draft/FA is good

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fataznguy888 wrote:
Speaking as a UofMichigan fan, Greg Robinson and Tony Gibson are 2 of the worst defensive coaches ever.

Tony Gibson's defensive backs are just terrible and his pass defenses show it. Also, half of the defense that Greg Robinson called at Michigan was dropping 8 and rushing 3.

Juan Castillo or Todd Bowles look like HoF coaches compared to these 2.

That being said, draft/FA is good

Speaking as an NFL fan he's got 2 rings as a coordinator.

Meco wrote:
Not going to lie, I'd be pretty upset if our draft came out like that.

Why?
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Speaking as an NFL fan he's got 2 rings as a coordinator.

...and he's failed everywhere he's been since that, he and Shanny are both living on John Elways' legacy. We can surely do better then Greg Robinson as our defensive coordnator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: