Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General Draft Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 134, 135, 136  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Looking a lot more at all the safeties and I see a lot of similarities between Matt Elam and Earl Thomas. Contradictory to my own first impression-- Elam is more than just an in the box safety, dude is a baller. Needs to sure up his tackling though.

I see none at all. Not really sure where that comparison is coming from.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Looking a lot more at all the safeties and I see a lot of similarities between Matt Elam and Earl Thomas. Contradictory to my own first impression-- Elam is more than just an in the box safety, dude is a baller. Needs to sure up his tackling though.

What do you see in Elam? I'm interested to know what some of the better informed posters feel about him
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

What do you see in Elam? I'm interested to know what some of the better informed posters feel about him

Rolling Eyes

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Small frame and deceptive speed... Better in man coverage and breaking on dig routes than covering over the top. I did a direct comparison of Earl Thomas in college and they play quite similar IMO.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

81_80_39_28_10 wrote:
Totally agree with the Phillip Thomas love....

When it gets closer to the draft, and more people have taken the time to watch him play, he will be considered amongst the top 3 safeties in this draft.

Seriously though, for anyone who hasn't taken the time to look at Thomas, go dig up what you can and enjoy. He's got everything.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Damn Flatlyner. That was cut throat. I doubt you meant to offend Dee Rawl though.

For whatever it is worth, I don't see a lot of immediate similarities between Elam and Earl Thomas either. Other than they are both talented safeties, so they inherently must do some things similarly well......

jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

I am not as high on him as some others, personally. Good in man coverage, very good athlete, very strong and very physical. But his tackling form is bad, he's not comfortable in deep zones and despite his strength and physicality, he's not effective at fighting off blockers or working off blocks.

DEE RAWL wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Small frame and deceptive speed... Better in man coverage and breaking on dig routes than covering over the top. I did a direct comparison of Earl Thomas in college and they play quite similar IMO.

That's what I don't get. Earl Thomas's bread and butter was/is deep coverage. He has elite range and great ball-skills. He was always seen as a Center-fielder type FS whereas Berry was the all around Safety prospect in that draft.

Elam is more of an in the box type SS with good man cover skills. I don't think the comparison really applies here.

DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Thomas was still in college I was more worried about my own playing career than scouting others so I can only find a little footage here and there. Based off of the footage I saw when he was at Texas (not currently in the NFL) there was a lot of similar plays and Thomas did not seem to accel in deep coverage/ball hawking as well as he does currently. Probably a combination of scheme and obviously coaching/experience. I suppose if there was any point I was trying to make was that Elam is seen as an in the box underneath coverage kinda guy, but he could amount to more than that. I sure as hell would take Elam over Vaccaro thats fure sure.

However, with that being said-- I have watched more on safeties than any other position and I would be upset taking any safety in the first round even if it is Elam simply because there is no clear cut "who is best", the entire class has potential to be very good safeties so why take one in the first when you could potentially get one just as good in the 2nd-4th?

Don't worry JRS, Flatlyner is allowed to his opinion of my "lack of knowledge/being an informed poster"... I really don't know what I'm talking about because I don't let Mel Kiper & Todd McShay brainwash me Wink

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
When Thomas was still in college I was more worried about my own playing career than scouting others so I can only find a little footage here and there. Based off of the footage I saw when he was at Texas (not currently in the NFL) there was a lot of similar plays and Thomas did not seem to accel in deep coverage/ball hawking as well as he does currently. Probably a combination of scheme and obviously coaching/experience. I suppose if there was any point I was trying to make was that Elam is seen as an in the box underneath coverage kinda guy, but he could amount to more than that. I sure as hell would take Elam over Vaccaro thats fure sure.

However, with that being said-- I have watched more on safeties than any other position and I would be upset taking any safety in the first round even if it is Elam simply because there is no clear cut "who is best", the entire class has potential to be very good safeties so why take one in the first when you could potentially get one just as good in the 2nd-4th?

Don't worry JRS, Flatlyner is allowed to his opinion of my "lack of knowledge/being an informed poster"... I really don't know what I'm talking about because I don't let Mel Kiper & Todd McShay brainwash me Wink

Understandable but my personal feeling isn't that Elam will ever be particularly great in deep coverage. He's much more comfortable playing downhill and he doesn't have anywhere near the range of Earl Thomas.

Flatlyner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Damn Flatlyner. That was cut throat. I doubt you meant to offend Dee Rawl though.

For whatever it is worth, I don't see a lot of immediate similarities between Elam and Earl Thomas either. Other than they are both talented safeties, so they inherently must do some things similarly well......

Not at all intended. Was hoping Jrry and others who have seen some more footage them myself could tell me a bit more about his deficiences. Dee's a SC guy, got nothin but love for em Laughing
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
Flatlyner wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Not at all intended. Was hoping Jrry and others who have seen some more footage them myself could tell me a bit more about his deficiences. Dee's a SC guy, got nothin but love for em Laughing

I've seen enough of your posts to know that you would be unlikely to openly insult someone. I got a good laugh out of it though....

DerekBrink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

yeah completely different players. I think Elam is a better cover safety than some are giving him credit for but nowhere near where Thomas is.

Still I'd have no problem with us drafting Elam. Obviously we'd be better off drafting a pure FS type but come on Elam, even as kind of a hybrid, is ten times better in coverage than Dahl is(and as a run defender also).
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

yeah completely different players. I think Elam is a better cover safety than some are giving him credit for but nowhere near where Thomas is.

Still I'd have no problem with us drafting Elam. Obviously we'd be better off drafting a pure FS type but come on Elam, even as kind of a hybrid, is ten times better in coverage than Dahl is(and as a run defender also).

Agreed and he also appears to have catch up speed, something Dahl lacked when he took bad angles. I could be wrong, but I think I'd rank him right near the top for me in safeties this year. He would vastly improve us from the "Days of Dahl".
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the senior bowl practices im become a much bigger fan of TJ Mac and Shawn Williams of Georgia.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
After watching the senior bowl practices im become a much bigger fan of TJ Mac and Shawn Williams of Georgia.
Problem is, both of those guys rely alot on what we can do with Mikell's contract. (only because where they are projected to go)

I know it wont stop us from getting talent, but where we would have to take those guys right now, we can be getting starters, and if Fisher likes Mikell and wants to keep him around (while restructuring) then we wont be looking as much at a SS.

Now if he is cut this year, or they expect to after this season, then yea those guys are good options.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 134, 135, 136  Next
Page 47 of 136

Jump to: