Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General Draft Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 134, 135, 136  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjab360

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:
What would you guys think if we went Jake Matthews and Chance Warmack in round one?

Best OT and OG in the darft, I wouldn't mind one bit...

Best OT?... Debatable.

Not to me...

Wink

Really? Jake Matthews? Confused

What about his teammate?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:
What would you guys think if we went Jake Matthews and Chance Warmack in round one?

Best OT?... Debatable.

Not to me...

Wink

What about his teammate?

Honestly, I come away more impressed by Matthews everytime I see them both. Joeckel is a very good prospect, but Matthews is already more refined, has immense versatility and still has great upside...

I think Matthews can be a All-Pro calibur player at either OT spot. His skill-set fits better with the Rams as well...

Plus, I can't ignore that blood-line of his...

Add in his blood-line and

IDOG_det on the sig...
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeckel is just as if not more refined, his technique is pretty damn good. I would have to see Matthews play LT before i could consider him the best prospect.
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Joeckel is just as if not more refined, his technique is pretty damn good. I would have to see Matthews play LT before i could consider him the best prospect.

Disagree with Joeckel being just as refined, and more refined? Really? Joeckel still has some raw areas in his game. He has very good technique in pass protection, no doubt about it. He isn't nearly as developed in the running game, however. Matthews possesses solid technique as a pass protector and is impeccable as a run blocker. Overall, his game is more refined, which is what I was referring to...

I don't want people to misinterpret me, I think Joeckel is every bit the prospect, if not more than Matt Kalil. I think he can become an elite pass-blocking LT. If I needed that, he would be my #1 choice...

IDOG_det on the sig...

Last edited by kgarrett12486 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
jjab360 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:

Best OT?... Debatable.

Not to me...

Wink

What about his teammate?

Honestly, I come away more impressed by Matthews everytime I see them both. Joeckel is a very good prospect, but Matthews is already more refined, has immense versatility and still has great upside...

I think Matthews can be a All-Pro calibur player at either OT spot. His skill-set fits better with the Rams as well...

May I ask who that is?
And as for my own opinion I'd have no problem what so ever if we came out of the first round with Warmack and Matthews, though I'd prefer Lewan over Matthews. But either works for me. They both appear to have great potential at RT in the pro's, which is what we need rather than an LT (Joeckel)

^El Ramster^
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
jjab360 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
holt_bruce81 wrote:

Best OT?... Debatable.

Not to me...

Wink

What about his teammate?

May I ask who that is?
And as for my own opinion I'd have no problem what so ever if we came out of the first round with Warmack and Matthews, though I'd prefer Lewan over Matthews. But either works for me. They both appear to have great potential at RT in the pro's, which is what we need rather than an LT (Joeckel)

Bruce Matthews(his father) and Clay Matthews(his Uncle and Cousin)

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
DistantRam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:
They both appear to have great potential at RT in the pro's, which is what we need rather than an LT (Joeckel)

And that, my friend, leads us to the million dollar question.

Do we keep Saffold as our franchise LT going forward?

If yes (and he looks capable on his day, although he does have his poorer games and his injury record isn't exactly encouraging), then we need a new RT, as Barry Richardson isn't the long-term solution at that spot. Lewan or Matthews later in round one or even Fluker in round two (although the last-named hasn't really impressed for Alabama this year, he still has enormous potential as a right tackle) would be the options in this scenario.

If no, then we either promote Wayne Hunter (who has performed well in Saffold's absence) to starting left tackle and cut/trade Saffold (highly unlikely, as Saffold has come straight back into the starting line-up) or we draft our new franchise LT, which would have to be Joeckel, as nobody else in this draft class even comes close.

If we draft Joeckel (and he'll probably be off the board by the time we select), do we then move Saffold to RT or do we draft two starters on day one? Given that Fisher doesn't draft OL in the first round, are we all clutching at straws anyway?

All we can do is assess how the line plays for the rest of the season and see who is available when we pick; were it my decision (and you'll all be glad that it isn't!), I'd draft Warmack and Matthews in round one and have a starting line of Saffold-Warmack-Wells-Dahl-Matthews going into 2013, with Watkins, Hunter or Barksdale, Turner and Smith as back-ups.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DistantRam wrote:
BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:
They both appear to have great potential at RT in the pro's, which is what we need rather than an LT (Joeckel)

And that, my friend, leads us to the million dollar question.

Do we keep Saffold as our franchise LT going forward?

If yes (and he looks capable on his day, although he does have his poorer games and his injury record isn't exactly encouraging), then we need a new RT, as Barry Richardson isn't the long-term solution at that spot. Lewan or Matthews later in round one or even Fluker in round two (although the last-named hasn't really impressed for Alabama this year, he still has enormous potential as a right tackle) would be the options in this scenario.

If no, then we either promote Wayne Hunter (who has performed well in Saffold's absence) to starting left tackle and cut/trade Saffold (highly unlikely, as Saffold has come straight back into the starting line-up) or we draft our new franchise LT, which would have to be Joeckel, as nobody else in this draft class even comes close.

If we draft Joeckel (and he'll probably be off the board by the time we select), do we then move Saffold to RT or do we draft two starters on day one? Given that Fisher doesn't draft OL in the first round, are we all clutching at straws anyway?

All we can do is assess how the line plays for the rest of the season and see who is available when we pick; were it my decision (and you'll all be glad that it isn't!), I'd draft Warmack and Matthews in round one and have a starting line of Saffold-Warmack-Wells-Dahl-Matthews going into 2013, with Watkins, Hunter or Barksdale, Turner and Smith as back-ups.

Why?

DistantRam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Why?

Isn't it self explanatory? I'm looking at options, and one is to trade or cut Saffold (due to his injury record, more than anything else) and then promote Hunter to LT. However, I cannot see this happening.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DistantRam wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Why?

Isn't it self explanatory? I'm looking at options, and one is to trade or cut Saffold (due to his injury record, more than anything else) and then promote Hunter to LT. However, I cannot see this happening.

Not at all. It's an option that makes no sense. You don't cut your best LT because he MIGHT get injured to start a lesser player. Especially when he's on a team friendly contract.

DistantRam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
It's an option that makes no sense.

But an option all the same. Besides, if this franchise always made the right decision, we wouldn't have gone seven (soon to be eight) seasons without a playoff appearance.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DistantRam wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

But an option all the same. Besides, if this franchise always made the right decision, we wouldn't have gone seven (soon to be eight) seasons without a playoff appearance.

Saffold has played well and has been a good LT this year. With Boudreau's help hopefully he'll continue improving. No reason to cut him or trade him.

Orlando Pace's aren't in every draft, heck I don't think athletes like him play offense anymore, they all play defense. Spread offenses in college football don't help any either.
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DistantRam wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

it's not an option and makes absolutely no sense. We already have a huge hole at the RT position why the heck would we ever cut our best tackle?

Even if we drafted a tackle we'd move Saffold to RT to replace Richardson(who is awful).
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:
DistantRam wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

it's not an option and makes absolutely no sense. We already have a huge hole at the RT position why the heck would we ever cut our best tackle?

Even if we drafted a tackle we'd move Saffold to RT to replace Richardson(who is awful).

Richardson has not been great but also not awful. He is has been a decent run blocker. His pass protection isn't his strong suit. He plays hard every play and is a good teammate.
DerekBrink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STLRamsFan99 wrote:
DerekBrink wrote:
DistantRam wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Richardson has not been great but also not awful. He is has been a decent run blocker. His pass protection isn't his strong suit. He plays hard every play and is a good teammate.

That's fine, he's played better than expected and he's decent in the run game but his pass blocking is mediocre. Either way he's our weakest link on the line right now and I'd love to replace him with Jake Matthews.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 134, 135, 136  Next
Page 15 of 136

Jump to: