Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should Randall Cobb be returning kicks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Randall Cobb return Punts/Kick-off's
Yes - He is a great returner and should be utilized.
86%
 86%  [ 38 ]
No - He is too promising of a player to risk serious injury.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 44

Packerbacker93

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Should Randall Cobb be returning kicks? Reply with quote

So last week we had a bit of a scare with a helmet to helmet hit on Cobb and it made me wonder how other fans feel about him back there. It's no secret returning is dangerous and is where some of the most brutal hits in the NFL happen.

I understand He is way better at the return game then anybody else on our roster (Shields, Tramon, Nelson) and in my opinion top 3 in the league, but he is also basically a rookie because of the lockout and is putting up some pretty amazing numbers in the limited time he sees on our offense.

So lets hear what other people have to say about it, I feel it might be more beneficial for him to not return as he sees more of a increased role in our offense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see a better option on the roster. That is part of what makes him so valuable to us. Remember last year vs Detroit when we had Pat Lee and Jordy returning kicks? Or the Super Bowl year when we had James Starks/Sam Shields/Jordy Nelson/Other Scrub returning kicks and Tramon returning punts, not only was it bad returns, you just prayed that our starters wouldn't get hurt doing it. Randall knows what he is doing back there, he just has to make some better decisions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so. Special teams is dangerous but there is only like 45 spots on a roster and you have to send out 11 men for returning kicks alone. Just something you got to do. If you aren't on special teams you better be a lineman or something special. If you aren't you probably won't stick around the league for very long.

Cobb is a great returner too BTW..
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
byzr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely when everyone is healthy i wouldn't give it a second thought but i can definitely understand giving it some more consideration when he's basically our #2 WR right now. with Jennings and Nelson on the mend Cobb has become SOOOO important. if Mac used him more out of the backfield it might even make him less likely.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely. He's a top 5 returner in the league.

Cobb needs a minimum of 20 touches per game in my opinion. (With Jennings out)

I truly don't understand why he's not in our backfield more.
justo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
Most definitely. He's a top 5 returner in the league.

Cobb needs a minimum of 20 touches per game in my opinion. (With Jennings out)

I truly don't understand why he's not in our backfield more.

Probably because Jennings is out TBH. I think he was something like 80% in the backfield or slot with him in and is only like 15% since he's been gone. Numbers in that range. Also Starks looks much better not out of the shotgun than Green so far. If we are running under-center I would rather have Starks back there IMO.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
MathMan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but he should be fair catching more

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's our best returner by a wide margin. No reason he shouldn't be on returns. Can't play scared and Coach can't worry about IF someone might get hurt.

Kempes on the custom sig!
PackMan22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had another capable returner, I would spare Cobb while Jordy and Jennings are out, but I don't know that we have anyone else who is a capable NFL returner right now.

Can we please cease and desist with the term 'professional athletes representing their country'? That term should be reserved for one man and one man only: Pat Tillman.-Mike Bianchi, Orlando Sentinel
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. He needs to be back there especially when we are 6 deep at WR. If we lose him for a game *knock on wood* we can recover. Even if he is out we'd still have Jones, Driver, Finley, Boykin. That's enough to fill out an offense 4wide. I'm ok with that.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
MathMan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we gotta keep winning games.

if he goes down, so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a comment about this in the Game Day thread... personally I think he should not be returning kick offs. I like him on punts, but with Jennings and Nelson currently down, I don't want to know what would happen if he had a freak injury on a kick off. IMO we need to save him for more offensive snaps.

But then again who's next in line for KRs Laughing

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool

#JDI
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
I made a comment about this in the Game Day thread... personally I think he should not be returning kick offs. I like him on punts, but with Jennings and Nelson currently down, I don't want to know what would happen if he had a freak injury on a kick off. IMO we need to save him for more offensive snaps.

But then again who's next in line for KRs Laughing
Nelson.. Oh wait. How about Shields... Oh wait.

Yea i think are only real option at either return spot is Cobb right now.

Kempes on the custom sig!
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't just "someone else" a kick returner and I don't know of anyone else on the team that is a returner except Tramon Williams and Alex Green and they are both starters too. The Packers would have to go out and find a true returner IMO.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he can completely change field position. He's one of those guys you want the ball in their hands as much as possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: