Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rumor: Imminent Berea wide Banner Brooming
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Rumor: Imminent Berea wide Banner Brooming Reply with quote

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2012/12/nfl-rumors-banner-to-clean-house-as-soon-as-season-ends/

NFL Rumors: Banner to “clean house” as soon as season ends
December 24, 2012 By Scott 11 Comments
With one game remaining until the “end of the season” that was promised before any actions were taken, Pro Football Weekly reports that the Cleveland Browns will waste zero time when it comes to revamping their front office.
Joe Banner is cleaning house as soon as the season ends. He’s not going to waste much time. He’s been researching this thing for some time. They are going to move fast to get their guys.
Black Monday will undoubtedly cast clouds throughout the league and has been the case through many seasons within the last decade, the Browns will be a major player in the season-end game of musical chairs as head coach Pat Shumrur and general manager Tom Heckert are likely to be relieved of their collective duties.

We're building through the draft, yet we didn't spend a premium pick on the QB position and spent like 6 or 7 to draft 2 runningbacks in 3 years.

Then we threw the ball 50 times a game.

Totally [inappropriate/removed] backwards. This house was a mess. Good riddance.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still see no point in getting rid of Heckert. Guy has done a great job for 2 head coaches here.
NEL2PAC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a general question for all that read this post. In your opinion was weeden really that bad? Because in my opinion he's was up and down, as most rookie QB's are, also why do people (media) talk so bad about weeden, but so highly of luck when (going by stats) there's really not much of a differences.

yes lucks record was better, but he wasn't working with rookies or 2nd year players, if y'all get my point. i think weeden has been the best QB we've had since our rebirth, does he need to get better yes an i think he will. One more year with some help from a coach who knows how to build an offense around the strength of its QB and/or best players.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumor: Imminent Berea wide Banner Brooming Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:

We're building through the draft, yet we didn't spend a premium pick on the QB position and spent like 6 or 7 to draft 2 runningbacks in 3 years.

Then we threw the ball 50 times a game.

Totally [inappropriate/removed] backwards. This house was a mess. Good riddance.

I know you're disappointed, I am too.

But I really don't see why it is so hard to be realistic about criticisms.

These "premium picks" you are talking about would have resulted in either Tannehill, Locker, Gabbert, or Ponder. No other QB was chosen between #2 and #24 in the three years you are talking about.

You want Tannehill? Then we don't have Richardson. Do you really Tannehill would have changed anything?

You want Locker? Then we don't have Phil Taylor, Greg Little, and the 4th round pick we use to trade for Richardson.

You want Gabbert? same thing as Locker

You want Ponder? same thing

We have to pick players that are available, not hypothetical "premium picks that would be better". We tried to get RG3, all other QBs taken the past 3 years were #1 overall picks. Imagining who we could have traded down (or up) for is also imaginary, and it really is pretty difficult to actually do so.

No team in the NFL averages 50 passing attempts a game. We average 35.6 (13th). 1.4 attempts per game less than the Broncos (10th) and 5 more attempts per game than the Chiefs, who are ranked 25th.

We DID build a team through the draft by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Trent, but I still don't love taking him. Rushers don't win Super Bowls for you. Heck they don't even necessarily win games. I think he will be a solid pro, I can see him comparing to Marshawn Lynch personally. It's not the YPC that bothers me, it's the fact that he ranks 24th in the league in first downs and he has the 9th most rushing attempts of anyone in the league this year. Even if we combined his rushing and receiving first downs, he would be 9th just comparing him to the top rushers gaining first downs. Not getting first downs kills us. Part of it is the play calling. We saw plenty of 3rd and shorts where we would throw deep, some where Trent wasn't even on the field, which is nuts to me, but it's all relative.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part Tom Heckart made the best pick at each selection and there is nothing more you can ask of a GM. We never had a pick where a legit franchise QB was on the board. I liked Ryan Tannehill more than most but Trent Richardson was the right choice as Tannehill had too many question marks.

Joe Banner is a power hunger egomaniac for firing Heckart. I bet he brings in some puppet GM so he can pull all the strings then play the blame game when things don't go right. If Banner swings and misses on his first GM then I want him on the first bus(with no brake lines) out of town(or just straight north into the lake).

If you can't tell I have a very bad feeling about Joe Banner.

Jamison on the sig
brownsfan1710

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckart is a glorified top scout. Laughing
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownsfan1710 wrote:

Why cause he actually makes picks that actually contribute and are good
cattleman78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
For the most part Tom Heckart made the best pick at each selection and there is nothing more you can ask of a GM. We never had a pick where a legit franchise QB was on the board. I liked Ryan Tannehill more than most but Trent Richardson was the right choice as Tannehill had too many question marks.

Joe Banner is a power hunger egomaniac for firing Heckart. I bet he brings in some puppet GM so he can pull all the strings then play the blame game when things don't go right. If Banner swings and misses on his first GM then I want him on the first bus(with no brake lines) out of town(or just straight north into the lake).

If you can't tell I have a very bad feeling about Joe Banner.

This is basically how I feel. Heckert will go elsewhere and be successful. I wonder about Haslim after Tony Grossi asked him if he was going to resign Dawson. He said that would be evaluated. I mean what is there to evaluate with Dawson. A ten year old should see Dawson's worth. If I'm the owner I say heck yes we are resigning Dawson.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
brownsfan1710

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
brownsfan1710 wrote:

Why cause he actually makes picks that actually contribute and are good

He has final say on picks? News to me.
bruceb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can appreciate that Banner, or anyone in their right mind, would want to trim the bloated (with LaMonte clients) coaching corps -- starting with Shurmur -- I will be more than a little disappointed if Haslam lets Banner make idiotic moves based in his own version of cronyism.

I don't know enough about Banner to say what he will do, but I have faith in Haslam making sure that whatever Banner does is "the right thing".
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised, but I sure hope Banner knows what he's doing.

I'm going to wait and see who they put in place before I get too worked up.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we lose Heckert i hope he ends up somewhere like the Chiefs. I would love to see him turn around a team that's not looking great.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
Tully305

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think Heckert's strengths lie in scouting college talent. He's nto stellar at it, but he makes some solid choices. There's some head-scratchers in there (Hardesty, Marecic, Hughes), but he does better than OK.

I think where his weakness lies is in evaluating Pro talent. The lack of quality FA brought in over the last few years has really hurt this team with regards to veteran leadership and depth. Questionable contracts for players like Sheldon Brown, Chris Cogong, and Dmitri Patterson (all ex-Eagles BTW...teh same thing Mangini was criticized for) and bringing in "studs" like Juqua Parker and Frostee Rucker??????

Overall, I think he's made the team better than it was. But it's not much better than it was.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tully305 wrote:
Honestly, I think Heckert's strengths lie in scouting college talent. He's nto stellar at it, but he makes some solid choices. There's some head-scratchers in there (Hardesty, Marecic, Hughes), but he does better than OK.

I think where his weakness lies is in evaluating Pro talent. The lack of quality FA brought in over the last few years has really hurt this team with regards to veteran leadership and depth. Questionable contracts for players like Sheldon Brown, Chris Cogong, and Dmitri Patterson (all ex-Eagles BTW...teh same thing Mangini was criticized for) and bringing in "studs" like Juqua Parker and Frostee Rucker??????

Overall, I think he's made the team better than it was. But it's not much better than it was.

Look up the Browns final roster in 2009. Other than the few guys he kept, most are out of the league or retired. The few that went on to play elsewhere have bounced around from team to team and not done much.

Results-wise, you are right. Talent-wise you are wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: