Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let's all calm down/State of the Titans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatTitansFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Let's all calm down/State of the Titans Reply with quote

Ok, let's all calm down here. We had a terrible game against the Bears, but the sky isn't falling down so much as y'all think.

#1. We gained as many yards as the Bears- check the stat sheet. What we didn't do was control the ball. All those turnovers, in our own end, just freaking killed us. It's hard to understate how bad that was (and how fluky something like that is).
#2. Our defense has gotten a lot better the last few weeks (as hard as it is to see). We're putting on a lot more pressure, doing a lot better in the run game, and just generally playing better. Again, the Bears STARTED 3 drives in our redzone- kind of hard not to give up points when that happens.
#3. Yes, the tackling is pretty crappy right now. But remember early in the season, when our tackling was good? And then Gray made a big deal about hitting harder, trying to knock balls loose and force fumbles? THere's a downside to that, and it's worse tackling. If you always go for the safe tackle, the wrap up or the leg grab, you aren't going to force a lot of incompletions and fumbles. But as the players get more experience hitting hard, they'll also be able to bring down guys more often while trying for the big hit. It's an experience thing.
#4. Last game was all on our offense, as was the Colts game. We continually shoot ourselves in the foot, Hass makes bad plays, players drop balls and fumble, and just generally we kill ourselves. I think we've got a big motivation problem on offense- maybe that's solvable by Munchak and the coaches getting in the face of the screwups. Maybe it isn't. That might be the biggest factor in needing a change; once a team gives up on its coaches, you have to make a big change. We're getting close to that.
#5. Hey, at least the run game is functioning!
#6. Our passing offense was a lot better when Locker was in, even minus Britt. I'm hoping a return from Locker, with an actual running game to help him (seriously, it's like night and day from the early season), will really make the offense better.

So here's what it is. The defense was awful early season. They've been improving a lot the last few weeks.

Zach Brown has looked like a revelation, Ayers is getting pass rush snaps and killing it, the Dline has really stepped up the pressure. McCarthy is back, and while he's not near full strength, he's been a massive upgrade over Witherspoon. He's a little slower from lack of conditioning, which is definitely hurting him- but post bye back week, I expect the beast will be back.

McCourty and Verner have been really good this year- very few mistakes, solid tackling, and both breaking up passes. Our safeties are mediocre. We all know that. Griffin is a lot better than the last two years, but he's still taking bad angles, not hitting hard or wrapping up consistently, and his pass defense instincts seem dead. Babs is still great in run support, but he's useless in deep coverage.

The interior Dline is still underperforming. Klug has disappeared, Casey & Marks, after fantastic preseasons, seem like they were last year (above average and below average). Mike Martin has been a surprise, but not enough to make up for the lackluster play of the others. Morgan and Wimbley have been really getting better each week. Morgan looks like a good second round pick, and is bordering on being worthy of the 1st we spent on him. Wimbley would be better suited as a 60% snap pass rusher, but he's deadly on passing downs.

We've got a future on defense. Safety is our weakness, Dline is a concern (as always, more depth at DE, maybe need to keep rebuilding interior if these guys don't step it up). But corner and linebacker are filled with young guys that are playing really well.

The offense, however, is a mystery. Locker and the passing offense were the highlight of the early season. They seemed to be clicking. Hass has been ok, but everyone just seems out of sync, and some of the players seem to be giving up (specifically Cook). On the other hand, the running game has been astoundingly better. How we aren't scoring more is a testament to screw ups, penalties, and mistakes at the worst time.

I don't honestly know what to do about that. Maybe Palmer's option read system is just too complicated to actually run well consistently. Hass has definitely limited the playbook a lot, and I honestly think he's playing worse than his stats (he stares down receivers a lot, and doesn't seem to move fluidly to his second and third options).

But the talent is there! This offense is performing worse than last years. How is that possible? Wright is an upgrade, Britt is an upgrade, the OLine has been runblocking really well, the pass blocking is slightly worse. Stevens has been great, Cook was having a good season before he decided to complain.

I'm hoping Locker will lead a resurgence. If we combine the early year passing game and the current run game, there's no way we shouldn't be scoring 30 points consistently.

Finally, the coaches. I don't have a problem with Munch. And I don't have a problem with the SCHEMES of Palmer and Gray, necessarily.
But it really seems like we're terrible at playcalling and making adjustments. Look at the Indy game- we shut down their run game all first half, and then they switch to a heavy pull and trap scheme, and suddenly every carry is for ten yards. Why aren't we adjusting? We can defend that- we've done it against other teams. How did that possibility not show up on the scouting report, and how did we not prepare for it.

Same thing on offense. How does one player force four fumbles? Why the heck are we still going to Tillman's side? If you are, at least stay inside the numbers. But we keep going wide there, we keep running wide there. What sort of play calling is that?

I worry about scheme changes from firing coaches- it's clear that doing it too often really screws players up. Locker was playing really well in the system, and I don't want there to be a massive setback (ala Bradford in McDaniels' system). But if Palmer and Gray don't start making better gameplans and adjusting better to what is going on, we'll never be a top tier team.
VYoung10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51 Points, at home. Yuck.

2014 Adopt a Titan:
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83 - CUT
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather give up on the season because we're not making the playoffs but knowing this team they'll win the next 5 and lose the final 2 just to put us in the middle of the pack again with draft position. That's not what we need. We need a high pick in order to get a beast like Lotulelei or hold the pick for ransom in the case that a team needs a QB and we trade back for more picks.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watched the game, you know there's no need to look at the stat sheet.

I stopped reading after that first line... no matter what the stat sheet shows, this game was never even close to being... close. 31-2 early in the 2nd... and 51-12 prior to CJ's 80 yard rush vs the Bear's 2nd string.

There's no way anyone who watched the game can try to sugar coat this game in any way, shape, or form. It was a complete butt whipping from the start.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
If you watched the game, you know there's no need to look at the stat sheet.

I stopped reading after that first line... no matter what the stat sheet shows, this game was never even close to being... close. 31-2 early in the 2nd... and 51-12 prior to CJ's 80 yard rush vs the Bear's 2nd string.

There's no way anyone who watched the game can try to sugar coat this game in any way, shape, or form. It was a complete butt whipping from the start.

It's not like it has been the only butt whipping either. Every single one of our defeats, except the Colts game, has been nothing less than a blowout.

Props to JammerHammer on the awesome sig!
justing101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
I'd rather give up on the season because we're not making the playoffs but knowing this team they'll win the next 5 and lose the final 2 just to put us in the middle of the pack again with draft position. That's not what we need. We need a high pick in order to get a beast like Lotulelei or hold the pick for ransom in the case that a team needs a QB and we trade back for more picks.

I agree, we have to suck to get better Laughing We need high picks, and lets not calm down, lets start a riot, a riot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bright side I'm feeling right now is Chris Johnson. He may not be CJ2K, but he's looked a hell of a lot more like CJ1.5K over the last six weeks and that's real, real encouraging moving forward with what we're paying him.

With Locker, Britt, Wright and Nate combined with this running game, our offense has huge potential moving forward.

We're not a good football team right now. Talented? Sure. But not good. However I don't feel as though we're that far away from being a quality team. New safety, some defensive depth, an interior offensive lineman and a few coaching staff changes and we can compete for a playoff spot.

But right now, the only thing that has me even semi-intrigued by this team is watching CJ. We have a number of other quality players, but the fact that CJ is now sixth in the league in rushing yards while averaging 5.0 yards per carry absolutely shocks me.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, If the forum is this bad after 51-20, how bad was it after 59-0? Laughing
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
lol, If the forum is this bad after 51-20, how bad was it after 59-0? Laughing
Honestly, I don't even think this is that bad.

Anyways, we were 0-6 after the 59-0 loss, there was little resembling optimism heading into that game so most of us were able to simply laugh off the sheer ridiculousness of that game.

This one, at least for me, is a helluva lot more frustrating, simply because we were soooo close to moving back to .500 a week before and to come out and get housed, at home, like that is ridiculous.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its one game. Pats game was way worse imo. seasons not over.

We need hass to pull ONE MORE GAME outta his hat this week and beat the phins.

Im really looking for one of our WRs to step up and have a big game.
Britt or KW!

Our D has been playing alot better of late im not to worried about them.

STs needs to have a better game. No 15 yard flags (Tommie Im looking at you).

If this team has any heart they can come together and beat them and feel better going in to the bye and get everybody 100% or close to it.

Then after the bye hopefully Locker can come back and with CJ rolling they can spark a winning streak! VY used to do it. No reason Locker can't.

Boom playoffs. #Titans4Life

CalhounLambeau on the sig!

Adopt-A-Titan:
-Nate "The Great" Washington
Rec: 12 Yds: 160 TD: 0
-Ryan Succop
FG: 9/11 Long: 47
VinceYoung1010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the yards thing is such a mirage because they never had to gain any in the first place, it seemed like I didn't even get to see Cutler play because he never had to do anything besides convert in the redzone a couple of times.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY-FTW wrote:
Its one game. Pats game was way worse imo. seasons not over.

We need hass to pull ONE MORE GAME outta his hat this week and beat the phins.

Im really looking for one of our WRs to step up and have a big game.
Britt or KW!

Our D has been playing alot better of late im not to worried about them.

STs needs to have a better game. No 15 yard flags (Tommie Im looking at you).

If this team has any heart they can come together and beat them and feel better going in to the bye and get everybody 100% or close to it.

Then after the bye hopefully Locker can come back and with CJ rolling they can spark a winning streak! VY used to do it. No reason Locker can't.

Boom playoffs. #Titans4Life

No. It's all 9 games that have us scared. We're far from being a playoff team and it is very much so over.
TT4Life7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I am on the "Fire Everyone" train.

I like Mike Munchak, I really do, but he is a below average coach. He isn't particularly good at anything. He's never been a coordinator so he has to allow his coordinator to call the plays.

Well he failed there. Both coordinator are extremely lost. I actually kind of liked the Jerry Gray decision at first (clearly I was wrong), but to hire Palmer was a huge mistake. First, hes like 65+ years old. He's clearly out dated with his play selections (philosophy?), because he is getting outcoached on a weekly basis. Second, why did they hire a guy that has repeatedly failed at everything he has ever done in the NFL? Sooooo his one decent year as anything was QB coach for Eli during their 2007 Super Bowl year, and that warrants an offensive coordinator posistion?

Munch's responsibilites are to successfully manage this football team. He makes the major decisions on the field, is required to have his team ready to play every Sunday, DISCIPLINE DISCIPLINE DISCIPLINE, and be a leader. He's failed to acomplish all of those things.

But to be fair, its not Munchak's fault. He was never ready to be an NFL head coach. Thats all on Bud Adams on that one. He didn't want to spend any money on a legit head coach.

Unfortunately for Munchak, if he's fired, his 30+ year tenure with the Oilers/Titans will be over. It's a sad way to end his years with this franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's all calm down/State of the Titans Reply with quote

ThatTitansFan wrote:
Ok, let's all calm down here. We had a terrible game against the Bears, but the sky isn't falling down so much as y'all think.

#1. We gained as many yards as the Bears- check the stat sheet. What we didn't do was control the ball. All those turnovers, in our own end, just freaking killed us. It's hard to understate how bad that was (and how fluky something like that is).

Let me just say something here.

When one player forces a fumble: It's a great play.
When one player forces two fumbles: He's on fire or it's a fluke.
When one player forces three fumbles: You're doing something wrong.
When one player forces FOUR fumbles: It's something else entirely.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times, well, you get it.
TitanSlim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's all calm down/State of the Titans Reply with quote

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
ThatTitansFan wrote:

Let me just say something here.

When one player forces a fumble: It's a great play.
When one player forces two fumbles: He's on fire or it's a fluke.
When one player forces three fumbles: You're doing something wrong.
When one player forces FOUR fumbles: It's something else entirely.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times, well, you get it.

Especially when that player is known for forcing fumbles.

Zach Brown-Injured (Out for Year)
Taylor Thompson-2 rec, 24 yards, 0 TDs

Joined Deshaun Watson bandwagon-9/27/14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: