Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Follow the Fullback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbelan2343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Johnson at least deserves a little love... First FB I could rely on since Tomlin's been at the helm. And pretty much was out of position playing at FB, and brought as much as Najeh Davenport did and was easily an upgrade over Carey Davis. He competes in practice with #83 and was #2 TE over Spaeth in several packages. Lost his job to injury.. ect.
Morons at the dollar store are selling dinosaurs for a buck

Let's go Pirates!!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbelan2343 wrote:
David Johnson at least deserves a little love... First FB I could rely on since Tomlin's been at the helm. And pretty much was out of position playing at FB, and brought as much as Najeh Davenport did and was easily an upgrade over Carey Davis. He competes in practice with #83 and was #2 TE over Spaeth in several packages. Lost his job to injury.. ect.

Being better than Dookie, Carey Davis and Spaeth isnt really saying much, as all 3 of them were basically worthless.

And Davenport was a pure running back, and had better ability out of the backfield. Could run and catch better.

The only thing DJ is good for is blocking, and he isnt even always dependable for that either.

As for him being out of place at FB....the only reason he was used that way was because Arians offense hardly ever used a FB, so there was no sense of having a traditional, full time FB on the roster. But even if we are talking about him as a blocking TE, he wasnt really that good. Again...he had his moments. He also whiffed on alot.

Id call DJ average at best, but dependable is not really a word Id use to describe him. He was the best FB we had since Kreider, but thats not really saying much.
bbelan2343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
bbelan2343 wrote:

Being better than Dookie, Carey Davis and Spaeth isnt really saying much, as all 3 of them were basically worthless.

And Davenport was a pure running back, and had better ability out of the backfield. Could run and catch better.

The only thing DJ is good for is blocking, and he isnt even always dependable for that either.

As for him being out of place at FB....the only reason he was used that way was because Arians offense hardly ever used a FB, so there was no sense of having a traditional, full time FB on the roster. But even if we are talking about him as a blocking TE, he wasnt really that good. Again...he had his moments. He also whiffed on alot.

Id call DJ average at best, but dependable is not really a word Id use to describe him. He was the best FB we had since Kreider, but thats not really saying much.

He performed as good as others around him. Others that were more recruited and relied on. Others that may have been slightly more attuned to the position.

Slightly refuting against each example doesn't take away that he deserves a little love.

Let's go Pirates!!
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it wrong to say that I couldn't have cared less when he got hurt? From an impact on the team standpoint that is...not wishing ill on the guy or anything.

I think there's any number of big, strong guys in the CFL, PS squads, or even on the street that could have stepped in and provided exactly the same skills he brought to the table.

I don't know, maybe missing that Mathews block is really all I can think of when I hear his name and I'm just bitter.

Davenport put up a couple decent games when called on to step in and Davis "contributed" on teams regularly in addition to his FB role...DJ wasn't even the best of a very weak class IMO.

He gets a little love for laying it on the line for the B&G...for me that's about it tho.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbelan2343 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
bbelan2343 wrote:

He performed as good as others around him. Others that were more recruited and relied on. Others that may have been slightly more attuned to the position.

Slightly refuting against each example doesn't take away that he deserves a little love.

Maybe in your eyes he does.

I dont see what he has done to deserve any love. Being better than the garbage we had before doesnt entitle him to that IMO. Thats like saying Sean Mahan deserves love because he was better than Darnell Stapleton.

If you want to show him love, thats great. I respect that.

In my eyes, he is just another player who did decent at times, but wasnt a huge contributor to our success.
bbelan2343

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't upset or necessarily let down when he got hurt either. Without worry from me, he can be labeled expendable or as a non-asset. He isn't or hasn't been a key piece to our sucess.

But for a guy that came out of nowhere, with no expectations, he gave me no reasons to dislike him.

Maybe I'm just a fan of the underdog, but ima say a "little love" is justified.

Let's go Pirates!!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 2 pages on a mediocre 3rd string TE / fullback! Impressive!!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Wow, 2 pages on a mediocre 3rd string TE / fullback! Impressive!!

Well...its more just me and bb discussing how much love he deserves.

You must be very easily amused, at23. Very Happy
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Can really down D. Johnson because he wasn't used in the same capacity that W. Johnson is at this current time. I do like W. Johnson as I believe he is a more "traditional" FB.

What sticks out to me negatively about David Johnson is the missed block in the SB resulting in R. Mendenhalls fumble.
just 1 play?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbelan2343 wrote:
I wasn't upset or necessarily let down when he got hurt either. Without worry from me, he can be labeled expendable or as a non-asset. He isn't or hasn't been a key piece to our sucess.

But for a guy that came out of nowhere, with no expectations, he gave me no reasons to dislike him.

Maybe I'm just a fan of the underdog, but ima say a "little love" is justified.
i totally agree with this. I love underdogs. I consider myself one, I guess that's why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
Can really down D. Johnson because he wasn't used in the same capacity that W. Johnson is at this current time. I do like W. Johnson as I believe he is a more "traditional" FB.

What sticks out to me negatively about David Johnson is the missed block in the SB resulting in R. Mendenhalls fumble.
just 1 play?

The biggest game of his life and he can't make one simple block that could of saved the game that was the turning point or nail the in the coffin in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

just 1 play?

The biggest game of his life and he can't make one simple block that could of saved the game that was the turning point or nail the in the coffin in my book.
true it was a huge play but we are talking about clay Matthews here vs a FB, and he is not the guy who fumbled the ball. The guy deserves to be back to compete for a position on this team at TE.

Whatever happens, happens
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I love this thread!! Can I start a new one on Sean McHugh and Arnold Harrison?? What do people think about Andre Frazier??
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Man, I love this thread!! Can I start a new one on Sean McHugh and Arnold Harrison?? What do people think about Andre Frazier??

We get if you don't like it there are plenty of other threads to choose from. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

just 1 play?

true it was a huge play but we are talking about clay Matthews here vs a FB, and he is not the guy who fumbled the ball. The guy deserves to be back to compete for a position on this team at TE.

Whatever happens, happens

Clay Matthews isn't a great run defender and it was just Matthews beating Johnson. Johnson just completely whiffed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: