Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jimmy Johnson A Football Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF Chip Kelly is willing to run a pro style offense instead of that spread option crap, he would be OK. Then again, IF my aunt had a sack, she'd be my uncle.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
IF Chip Kelly is willing to run a pro style offense instead of that spread option crap, he would be OK. Then again, IF my aunt had a sack, she'd be my uncle.

Read option Wink

And for what it's worth, while at UNH he didn't run the RO. He only implemented at Oregon as it fit well to the personnel already in place. That's what Chip does, he creates a scheme to fit current personnel and gets players to fit in that scheme.

^^^Deadpulse
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I think all this coaching change talk is a waste of time. I thing Garrett will be given at least 1 more year and most likely 2 more years to prove he is the RKC.

Second, read option or spread option, either way I don't want it. What you say about Kelly adapting his scheme to fit the personnel is nice. I still don't want him or any other college HC to take over as our HC though. If we were going to bring in a different coach, I would want a either a proven HC like Gruden or a top ranked Coordinator who is willing to be just the HC and bring in an OC and a DC.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
First off, I think all this coaching change talk is a waste of time. I thing Garrett will be given at least 1 more year and most likely 2 more years to prove he is the RKC.

Second, read option or spread option, either way I don't want it. What you say about Kelly adapting his scheme to fit the personnel is nice. I still don't want him or any other college HC to take over as our HC though. If we were going to bring in a different coach, I would want a either a proven HC like Gruden or a top ranked Coordinator who is willing to be just the HC and bring in an OC and a DC.

Never hurts to generate discussion Laughing

But yeah...I agree that it's most likely pointless to talk about, as I see Garrett getting one more year as well. I just hope that if he does stay around, we see him hire an OC.

^^^Deadpulse
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
htfryar wrote:

Never hurts to generate discussion :lol:

But yeah...I agree that it's most likely pointless to talk about, as I see Garrett getting one more year as well. I just hope that if he does stay around, we see him hire an OC.

I would very much like him to bring in a real OC. But, with Callahan having the OC title already, how would we work it? You can't give a guy the OC title to bring him here and then strip it from him a year later unless you promote him to Assistant Head Coach. So, if we promote Callahan to AHC/Offensive Line, who would you wanty us to bring in as the OC. I mean other than Norv Turner.

I've gone on record as saying that I would want us to step outside the organization and bring in Tom Rathman. I just don't see it happening.

Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I would very much like him to bring in a real OC. But, with Callahan having the OC title already, how would we work it? You can't give a guy the OC title to bring him here and then strip it from him a year later unless you promote him to Assistant Head Coach. So, if we promote Callahan to AHC/Offensive Line, who would you wanty us to bring in as the OC. I mean other than Norv Turner.

I've gone on record as saying that I would want us to step outside the organization and bring in Tom Rathman. I just don't see it happening.

Ratham is the guy I want as well if we don't bring in/can't get Turner.

^^^Deadpulse
DaBoys

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I still don't want him or any other college HC to take over as our HC though.

I'm not sure if this is a statement based on who the current college coaches are, ...or if it is a general thought. If it is a general thought it seems a little out of place in this thread in particular. Because, you now, Jimmy was one of those unproven college coaches.....

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-airing of A Football Life tonight at 10:00 est on NFL Network, for those of you that may have missed it.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Re-airing of A Football Life tonight at 10:00 est on NFL Network, for those of you that may have missed it.

They aired it earlier today and I caught it. Few things I came away with that relates to the Cowboys today:

1. Jerry Jones is a terrible GM.

2. I oddly gained a little faith in Garrett as a Head Coach.

3. Jerry is a great Owner.

4. If we could somehow get Jerry to step down as GM, but continue handling trades and business decisions, while getting Garrett to step down as OC, but continue being the Head Coach. We may be on to something. The two guys that are doubling duties, are killing us.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I mean other than Norv Turner.

How could you not be ecstatic if Dallas were to bring in Turner as OC? The guy, to my memory anyway, has never had a bad offense. Even with Jay Feilder running it. He's always been more run oriented than pass, this despite being an Air Coryell disciple. That plays so well into Dallas' hands when consider Romo's erratic play.

I see what he brings to the table as nothing but a win/win situation.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching this tonight, I have a few points that I beleive are relavent:

1. Johnson and Bellicheck on a fishing trip. Johnson says to Bellicheck: "If I draft a dumb player, hit me in the head with a hammer" Bellicheck said that was something he learned from Johnson and learned well.

Now think about this, and I mean really think about it. Johnson drafts smart players, not the big stats guy, not the "He's a beast guy", but the SMART guy! He then constructs a team that wins 3 Superbowls in 4 years.

Belicheck takes this advice, he learns to draft the smart guy "Tom Brady, 6th round pick, and what does he do? Wins 3 superbowls in 4 years.

2. Can we all agree this year that during the draft we need Smart players, not the hype guys?
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:

1. Johnson and Bellicheck on a fishing trip. Johnson says to Bellicheck: "If I draft a dumb player, hit me in the head with a hammer" Bellicheck said that was something he learned from Johnson and learned well.

Now think about this, and I mean really think about it. Johnson drafts smart players, not the big stats guy, not the "He's a beast guy", but the SMART guy! He then constructs a team that wins 3 Superbowls in 4 years.

Belicheck takes this advice, he learns to draft the smart guy "Tom Brady, 6th round pick, and what does he do? Wins 3 superbowls in 4 years.

2. Can we all agree this year that during the draft we need Smart players, not the hype guys?

I don't think anyone has ever said, "boy I hope we draft an idiot."

I caution everyone with that statement. Football intelligence and book smarts are very different things. Reading, understanding, anticipating, acting, executing - requires a mental aptitude that isn't measured accurately with a GPA. Now I am not talk about talent. Look at Tank Carder out of TCU. Wasn't the most physically gifted person in the world. But had a very high football acumen. Sometimes you get both, though. Like Alabama's Center, Jones.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

I don't think anyone has ever said, "boy I hope we draft an idiot."

I caution everyone with that statement. Football intelligence and book smarts are very different things. Reading, understanding, anticipating, acting, executing - requires a mental aptitude that isn't measured accurately with a GPA. Now I am not talk about talent. Look at Tank Carder out of TCU. Wasn't the most physically gifted person in the world. But had a very high football acumen. Sometimes you get both, though. Like Alabama's Center, Jones.

Yeah, ummm, let's look at some of the hi IQ's we have on the team presently:

1. Dez Bryant - Drafted 1st round- Dosen't understand his role in a hot read, runs wrong routes, fumbles the ball trying to do too much.

2. Felix Jones- Drafted 1st round- Dose not hitthe hole hard, looks for a place to fall down, loses his balance often, fumbles the ball (mostly from hits from the backside), does not know how to pick up a blitz.

3. Anthony Spencer -Drafted 1st round- Can be blocked 1 on 1, takes wrong angle to QB, cannot drop back and cover well.

These are just some of the guys that I think this team drafted solely on the hype and didn't really check under the helmet. I'm sure some of you can think of others.

Although I will agree with Tex, that there is a difference between book-smart and football-smart.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:

1. Dez Bryant - Drafted 1st round- Dosen't understand his role in a hot read, runs wrong routes, fumbles the ball trying to do too much.

The only reason I cut Dez any slack - and I was against the Dez pick - is because he has something so few posses. An unabashed passion to win at all costs. It's something that really does remind me of the playmaker. He has his faults, lord knows he does. But dammit if he hasn't started winning me over.

And I would not associate fumbling with intelligence. He does take unnecessary risks though.

Quote:
2. Felix Jones- Drafted 1st round- Dose not hitthe hole hard, looks for a place to fall down, loses his balance often, fumbles the ball (mostly from hits from the backside), does not know how to pick up a blitz.

Felix was such a bust for several reasons. It really hurts given the sheer amount of talented backs taken after him.

Quote:
3. Anthony Spencer -Drafted 1st round- Can be blocked 1 on 1, takes wrong angle to QB, cannot drop back and cover well.

I. What? Spencer has been excellent.
Quote:

These are just some of the guys that I think this team drafted solely on the hype and didn't really check under the helmet. I'm sure some of you can think of others.

While I agree with your premise. I think you were stretching in your examples.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy Jimmy used as his example (Charles Haley) of an intelligent football player... was straight crazy. Charles clearly understood his assignments, but he'd never be considered a RKG. But, I agree with rntldave that it's easy to listen to that conversation and immediately think of Felix and Dez. But, I also agree with TO7 that Dez's passion to win is winning me over. The example Dez sets on the football field can transcend intelligence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: