Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jimmy Johnson A Football Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5379
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will now formally apologize to all of you extreme Jerry haters. I always thought Jerry had some to do with the trades, during the Johnson era, and Jimmy was the talent evaluator. Thought it was 70-30 in Jimmy's favor. Looks like it was 99-1 Jimmy's way. Thanks, I really have no hope now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rtnldave


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 2933
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shopping in a 5 Below store one day when I came across this book titled Game Changers, The Greatest Plays in Dallas Cowboys Football History." - By Ed Housewright

So for only $5.00 I figured I buy it. As I was flippong thru it I came across a title "A Messy Divorce." It wries about the night before Jerry and Jimmy decided to part ways with their particular roles with the Dalls Cowboys franchise. It is on page 126 in the book. The author writes:

The timing of the Jones-johnson breakup seemed almost unbelievable. Less than two months after celebrating the Super Bowl XXVIII win, both men were at an NFL meeting in Florida. Jones walked over to a table where Johnson and some friends were gathered. They were talking about the recent Super Bowl win and Jones proposed a toast.

"Here's to the Dallas Cowboys, and here's to the people who made it possible to win two Super Bowls!"

No one at the table, including Johnson, responded. Jones offered the same toast again, with the same result.
"Go on with your F---ing party." Jones fumed, walking away.

A few hours later Jones was sitting in a hotel bar with some Dallas sportswriters and dropped a bomb: He planned to fire Johnson. Jones told writers Johnson was disloyal and added:

"I think there are 500 coaches that could have coached this team to a Super Bowl."

Word got back to Johnson, and he exploded. He packed his bags and left the Orlando meeting. Johnson later told reporters:

"I know I'm arrogant, I know I'm self-serving. But somebody please tell me what I've done...so wrong to be ripped theway I have?"

6 days later the two held a press conference and Jimmy Johnson was no longer the coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

Emmitt Smith was later quoted as saying: "I think Jerry is trying to stir up controversy because the man can't live straight unless there is a controversey in his life."


For what it is worth, there you have it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24350
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty well known story. It's why Bozo was hired.

But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 13417
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
I was shopping in a 5 Below store one day when I came across this book titled Game Changers, The Greatest Plays in Dallas Cowboys Football History." - By Ed Housewright

So for only $5.00 I figured I buy it. As I was flippong thru it I came across a title "A Messy Divorce." It wries about the night before Jerry and Jimmy decided to part ways with their particular roles with the Dalls Cowboys franchise. It is on page 126 in the book. The author writes:

The timing of the Jones-johnson breakup seemed almost unbelievable. Less than two months after celebrating the Super Bowl XXVIII win, both men were at an NFL meeting in Florida. Jones walked over to a table where Johnson and some friends were gathered. They were talking about the recent Super Bowl win and Jones proposed a toast.

"Here's to the Dallas Cowboys, and here's to the people who made it possible to win two Super Bowls!"

No one at the table, including Johnson, responded. Jones offered the same toast again, with the same result.
"Go on with your F---ing party." Jones fumed, walking away.

A few hours later Jones was sitting in a hotel bar with some Dallas sportswriters and dropped a bomb: He planned to fire Johnson. Jones told writers Johnson was disloyal and added:

"I think there are 500 coaches that could have coached this team to a Super Bowl."

Word got back to Johnson, and he exploded. He packed his bags and left the Orlando meeting. Johnson later told reporters:

"I know I'm arrogant, I know I'm self-serving. But somebody please tell me what I've done...so wrong to be ripped theway I have?"

6 days later the two held a press conference and Jimmy Johnson was no longer the coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

Emmitt Smith was later quoted as saying: "I think Jerry is trying to stir up controversy because the man can't live straight unless there is a controversey in his life."


For what it is worth, there you have it.


One important piece to that story that sometimes gets omitted is that there were people sitting at the table who Jerry had fired. Jimmy thought it was incredibly bad form to do the toast with those guys at the table... it was almost like rubbing it in there faces.
_________________
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 13417
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last week Jones said that he doesn't remember having made the remark about ESPN. "But if that's the story they were telling when I approached their table," he said, "now I know why they all looked so sheepish." When Jones made his toast, the group, which included two people whom Jones had fired, reacted coolly, and Jones was not invited to join the table. The snub led to Jones's widely reported remark later that night that he might get Switzer to coach his team.


http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1005069/index.htm
_________________
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 27660
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.


He was going to leave, yes...but it likely wouldn't have been until after the '94 season...but Jerry let ego get in the way.

In the process, he likely cost us a shot at being the first team ever to win three straight Championships.
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mco65


Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 534
Location: US
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.


He was going to leave, yes...but it likely wouldn't have been until after the '94 season...but Jerry let ego get in the way.

In the process, he likely cost us a shot at being the first team ever to win three straight Championships.


1st team to win 3 straight SUPER BOWLS yes, but NOT 3 straight Championships.... The Packers won 3 straight in the 60s (including the 1st 2 super bowls) and 3 straight in the 30s..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 27660
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mco65 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.


He was going to leave, yes...but it likely wouldn't have been until after the '94 season...but Jerry let ego get in the way.

In the process, he likely cost us a shot at being the first team ever to win three straight Championships.


1st team to win 3 straight SUPER BOWLS yes, but NOT 3 straight Championships.... The Packers won 3 straight in the 60s (including the 1st 2 super bowls) and 3 straight in the 30s..


Semantics Laughing
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Rtnldave


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 2933
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the reason I posted the story was because love him or hate him, you have to agree on this:

1.Jerry was the man who hired Johnson and entrusted him to lead the worst team in the league back to champion status. Johnson accomplished just that, twice. He built a team that was so good it won a super bowl 2 years after he left with an idiot as HC. So with that said, you have to love Jerry. He has a vision and it worked.

2. In spite of the fact that Jerry hired Jimmy Johnson, he DID let his ego destroy what was surely an empire at that time. This team may very well have won 3 or 4 straight. If not for a faulty start to the 1994 NFC championship game, I believe they would have done just that. But Jerry had to flex his corporate muscles and fudge that up for everyone. With that said you have to hate Jerry.

3. Given his track record of making decisions based on his ego rather than what is best for the team we can only assume that this team will only ever win another Super Bowl by virtue of freak luck. They get hot, other teams get injured, the refs and calls go our way, the fumbles bounce to us etc, etc, etc.

4. I see this year as 1988 all over again. We can try to bring in a winning coach (Sean Payton, John Gruden)-OR- give Jason Garrett an O.C. (Norv Turner, if he gets canned), trade away some of our vets (Romo, Witten, Spears, Ratliff, Jenkins) and see what we can get. Draft a QB that is a known leader, draft a real NT, OG and C. and then begin to build from there.

Just look at the Colts. I watched that game last night and I see a team that is playing SMART football. They are organized, enthusiastic, trained well, opportunistic, but above all, they do their respective jobs and do them well.

There is 1 thing to be said about starting so young with, virtually a whole new line up. The players buy in early and start to believe early. They develop a winning attitude and that translates to more wins in tight games.

All this Cowboys team has known for the last 5 years (Only 5 years because that is the maximum amount of time many of these players were together) is that they find ways to lose. They have an attitude of frustration, a chip on their shoulders, they play not to lose rather than to win. And it is my belief that no new coach is going to turn that around. It is cemented in their psyche. that is why they have to go, and we have to start fresh with a new HC that has close to, if not all the power Jimmy Johnson had.

We already have so many new faces. Do not poison them with this losing attitude. Injuries too. It is also my beliefs that injuries are contagious. I know it sounds stupid, but if a player sees other star players going down all the time,then every little ache or pain begins to become a 4 to 5 week problem. Just look at Murray. Does anyone actually know what is wrong with him? I keep hearing foot sprain. it takes a monthe for that to work out? Don't we have trainers and rehabers? Christ, my mother at 65 years of age was out of the hospital 2 days after having brain surgery! 2 days!

No, this whole thing really stinks anymore. It is very obvious that what you all watched on A Football Life and where this team is now is night and day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24350
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
I guess the reason I posted the story was because love him or hate him, you have to agree on this:

1.Jerry was the man who hired Johnson and entrusted him to lead the worst team in the league back to champion status. Johnson accomplished just that, twice. He built a team that was so good it won a super bowl 2 years after he left with an idiot as HC. So with that said, you have to love Jerry. He has a vision and it worked.


The funny thing about this, Jerry was easily the biggest villain when first came on board. He FIRED the beloved man in the Hat. You cannot fire an icon, no matter how right the decision is, without catching flake. Then he goes the nepotism route and hires his college friend. College Coaches were a laughing stock in the league at the moment.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24350
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.


He was going to leave, yes...but it likely wouldn't have been until after the '94 season...but Jerry let ego get in the way.

In the process, he likely cost us a shot at being the first team ever to win three straight Championships.


I disagree with very little here. Just most people look at the marriage and assume Jimmy left because of Jerry. Yet ignore that Jimmy was only here because of Jerry and Jimmy was going to leave. Jerry pushed him out.

It sucks. It was a perfect combination. Two individuals with an absolute desire to win and dominate.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 27660
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.


He was going to leave, yes...but it likely wouldn't have been until after the '94 season...but Jerry let ego get in the way.

In the process, he likely cost us a shot at being the first team ever to win three straight Championships.


I disagree with very little here. Just most people look at the marriage and assume Jimmy left because of Jerry. Yet ignore that Jimmy was only here because of Jerry and Jimmy was going to leave. Jerry pushed him out.

It sucks. It was a perfect combination. Two individuals with an absolute desire to win and dominate.


Which...and I know some will disagree...if we bottom out the rest of the year, I want to see Chip Kelly brought in (if available). A brilliant football mind who does a great job at the essential basics of being a HC (i.e. gameplanning, organizing, running practices) and I think could create a scheme that would work at the next level.
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Rtnldave


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 2933
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.


He was going to leave, yes...but it likely wouldn't have been until after the '94 season...but Jerry let ego get in the way.

In the process, he likely cost us a shot at being the first team ever to win three straight Championships.


I disagree with very little here. Just most people look at the marriage and assume Jimmy left because of Jerry. Yet ignore that Jimmy was only here because of Jerry and Jimmy was going to leave. Jerry pushed him out.

It sucks. It was a perfect combination. Two individuals with an absolute desire to win and dominate.


Which...and I know some will disagree...if we bottom out the rest of the year, I want to see Chip Kelly brought in (if available). A brilliant football mind who does a great job at the essential basics of being a HC (i.e. gameplanning, organizing, running practices) and I think could create a scheme that would work at the next level.



Who is Chip kelly?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 24350
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.


He was going to leave, yes...but it likely wouldn't have been until after the '94 season...but Jerry let ego get in the way.

In the process, he likely cost us a shot at being the first team ever to win three straight Championships.


I disagree with very little here. Just most people look at the marriage and assume Jimmy left because of Jerry. Yet ignore that Jimmy was only here because of Jerry and Jimmy was going to leave. Jerry pushed him out.

It sucks. It was a perfect combination. Two individuals with an absolute desire to win and dominate.


Which...and I know some will disagree...if we bottom out the rest of the year, I want to see Chip Kelly brought in (if available). A brilliant football mind who does a great job at the essential basics of being a HC (i.e. gameplanning, organizing, running practices) and I think could create a scheme that would work at the next level.



Who is Chip kelly?


Can't tell if serious - or if this is the new Matt Jones.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 27660
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
But it wasn't as one sided as revisionist are trying to make it. Jimmy WAS going to leave. All signs pointed to the year after. Jerry-fights made his exit more expedient.


He was going to leave, yes...but it likely wouldn't have been until after the '94 season...but Jerry let ego get in the way.

In the process, he likely cost us a shot at being the first team ever to win three straight Championships.


I disagree with very little here. Just most people look at the marriage and assume Jimmy left because of Jerry. Yet ignore that Jimmy was only here because of Jerry and Jimmy was going to leave. Jerry pushed him out.

It sucks. It was a perfect combination. Two individuals with an absolute desire to win and dominate.


Which...and I know some will disagree...if we bottom out the rest of the year, I want to see Chip Kelly brought in (if available). A brilliant football mind who does a great job at the essential basics of being a HC (i.e. gameplanning, organizing, running practices) and I think could create a scheme that would work at the next level.



Who is Chip kelly?


He's the Head Coach at Oregon.
_________________

^^^mack
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group