Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

John Simon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelersFan2333

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: John Simon? Reply with quote

After seeing several OSU games, I love what I see out of John Simon. Anybody think he could play OLB for us? He plays mostly 5 gap in the OSU defense, but would he fit as a passrushing OLB in our system? Dude just has a nonstop motor, has shown a good bull rush, nice spin move, and endless pursuit skills. Weights 260, may need to shed a few pounds for the position, but we already have Deebo not being able to cover anybody, maybe we're used to it lol.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has a GREAT motor, which if there is one thing you want someone to say about you as a defensive line prospect it is that. He was very intriguing his sophomore year, kind of disappeared/disappointed last year but seems to have found his way for much of this year. Hard not to like him. I wont break down any games til mid December but he shows up on every game I review this year.

...you have a forum resume?
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a 4-3 DE. Doesn't fit the scheme
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Plays very similar to how Woodley played at Michigan.

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

true. Maybe it's possible but I don't think he's athletic enough. He's not nearly as athletic as all 3-4 OLBs are. It's not like he can be the next Vrable. I don't think he's an upgrade over the current back ups. Being an Ohio state fan though, if he's drafted I'll be elated and want him to do well. I just don't expect him to do well in a 3-4 scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jamey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

true. Maybe it's possible but I don't think he's athletic enough. He's not nearly as athletic as all 3-4 OLBs are. It's not like he can be the next Vrable. I don't think he's an upgrade over the current back ups. Being an Ohio state fan though, if he's drafted I'll be elated and want him to do well. I just don't expect him to do well in a 3-4 scheme.

I went to the same HS (he was a few years younger) so I'm clearly pulling for him to be a steeler. He's actually a Steelers fan too and has an incredible work ethic and determination. He's gonna produce wherever he goes, although, I do believe he's more fit for a 4-3 scheme. Regardless, if he's a good value where were picking, he'd be a solid pick up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you trying to place him as far as value/ranking in the draft?

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
I'm thinking 3rd rounder. He might slip to the 4th
Jamey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

He's gonna blow up at the combine and be a workout warrior. Keep that in mind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamey wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

like Vernon Golston? Jk. I know Simon is more than a work out warrior but frankly the combine means little to me. Seeing different sized men run around in their undies for a few days doesn't tell me if they are going to be good football players.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, I was thinking you guys were trying to tab him in the 1st. 2nd round is a possibility, but no 1st round. He has a motor that stands out, he's not a workout warrior like Mammula. I think he'll be ok. I wouldn't expect him to be a savior but he can have an impact. Under promise, over deliver type.

I know his stats last year were ok but he wasn't beating blocks last year the way I'd like to see. This year he seems to be finding ways to beat them at all times and pressure is very consistent vs all competition. Getting over those struggles and experiencing numerous ways to get around blocks will only strengthen his case.

In college Woodley use to make me think he was a step too slow, he would always finish a step or two short of the needed pressure, but his effort was always there. He never really dropped and is a prime example of conversion if not the model for it.

SteelersFan2333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if he keeps playing the way he is he will go somewhere from the end of the 2nd through the middle of the third. Not really sure if I would be happy taking him in the second, our 2nd rd projects never seem to work out, but i would be all for him in the third, if the staff thinks he could make the switch to OLB. Our team needs a couple guys with motors like that! Might take a year or so to learn the position, but as a situational pass rusher he should see some snaps in yr 1, while he develops some type of coverage/drop skills.
Jamey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Jamey wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:

like Vernon Golston? Jk. I know Simon is more than a work out warrior but frankly the combine means little to me. Seeing different sized men run around in their undies for a few days doesn't tell me if they are going to be good football players.

Oh no i wasn't making the argument that it makes him a "better" player than what he shows on the field. I'm merely saying he may/probably go higher than expected after its all said and done. Maybe he isn't worth a second, but once he puts up freak numbers at the combine I can see a team taking a chance on him in the second.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamey wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
JustPlainNasty wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I went to the same HS (he was a few years younger) so I'm clearly pulling for him to be a steeler. He's actually a Steelers fan too and has an incredible work ethic and determination. He's gonna produce wherever he goes, although, I do believe he's more fit for a 4-3 scheme. Regardless, if he's a good value where were picking, he'd be a solid pick up.

What year did you graduate? I went to Mooney as well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: