Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs released Routt.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ring of Fame


Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 507
Location: Lawrence, KS via KCMO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrowhead86 wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:
Uh. Guys. Don't you remember how Routts contract is structured? We knew he was gone after 1 year anyway. I like this move A LOT. Obviously he wasn't fitting / gelling with our team and this will help us lose more games down the stretch.

Love it.


In the grand scheme of moving forward - yes I agree. Still - this is embarrassing isn't it? I mean seriously.. relationship not progressing??!!? Consider the rest of the roster in that locker room looking at this move and thinking what the heck!? Those guys know who can play. They want teammates that can play! Routt is certainly no Brandon Carr (and I am sick to my stomach that he's not here instead of this debacle of events) but his teammates know the guy can play.
Dr.


Probably not true. This could be part of the problem.

Routt played the least physical brand of ball on the Chiefs team. Absolutely soft. Finesse. Showy. He seemed to care more about how his half-sleeves and cleats look than he did about hitting somebody. He's a burner with decent ball skills. Not the type of CB this defense is looking for.

I agree it's ridiculous this is even happening - that we're cutting a CB we signed 6 months ago - but I think in terms of making the roster better, this makes sense. Let younger talent develop. We're 1-7, it can't hurt. If you're 100 percent positive that Routt is going to work out long-term in your defense, I can live with cutting him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiefs_5627


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 3057
Location: 'sconi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im all for change but imo these moves will ensure Pioli for next year.

"Look, we are fixing this dysfunctional team you cant fire me now"
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5WYigZHME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10867
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs_5627 wrote:
Im all for change but imo these moves will ensure Pioli for next year.

"Look, we are fixing this dysfunctional team you cant fire me now"

Maybe if it actually makes a difference, but chances are it ultimately means nothing. We'd have finish out at least 6-2 for this to even be a possibility IMO, and that ain't happening.

One positive thing might be that after Crennel gets time to evaluate the offense, he sees that Stanzi deserves a chance. Despite my sig, I'm not holding on to some dream here, but I'd like to know what we've got in him before the draft.
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ring of Fame


Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 507
Location: Lawrence, KS via KCMO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs_5627 wrote:
Im all for change but imo these moves will ensure Pioli for next year.

"Look, we are fixing this dysfunctional team you cant fire me now"


Cutting a CB for performance reasons - Routt has been bad - would never make or break Pioli's job. Clark Hunt likely knows today whether or not he's going to ax Pioli.

Clark Hunt's thought process: Pioli's built a talented roster. He's getting burned by a head coach inept for the job and it's trickling down to every player on the field. He's getting burned by putting faith in Cassel, not showing he has a plan to fix it. Does he deserve another off-season to draft/find a QB, hire a coach and coaching staff and begin where did this season? Or just fire him?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiefs_5627


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 3057
Location: 'sconi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:

Maybe if it actually makes a difference, but chances are it ultimately means nothing. We'd have finish out at least 6-2 for this to even be a possibility IMO, and that ain't happening.

One positive thing might be that after Crennel gets time to evaluate the offense, he sees that Stanzi deserves a chance. Despite my sig, I'm not holding on to some dream here, but I'd like to know what we've got in him before the draft.



I get what youre saying but i just feel like they're shooting for scapegoats right now to take some of the heat off of themselves.

Would sure love to see Stanzi, that's for sure.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5WYigZHME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiefs_5627


Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 3057
Location: 'sconi
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring of Fame wrote:

Cutting a CB for performance reasons - Routt has been bad - would never make or break Pioli's job. Clark Hunt likely knows today whether or not he's going to ax Pioli.

Clark Hunt's thought process: Pioli's built a talented roster. He's getting burned by a head coach inept for the job and it's trickling down to every player on the field. He's getting burned by putting faith in Cassel, not showing he has a plan to fix it. Does he deserve another off-season to draft/find a QB, hire a coach and coaching staff and begin where did this season? Or just fire him?



Not the player im having trouble with, the feeling like Pioli is shifting blame and the only person Pioli has to convince is Clark himself.

Im pretty sure noone knows what Clarks thought process is at this time.
_________________


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5WYigZHME
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10867
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I get the feeling that Clark is someone that reads the press clippings. He's gonna see all the hate for Pioli, and know its not gonna be something he cant continue to ignore. He's pretty well connected in NFL circles from what I heard during the lockout, so he's gotta have some outsiders he can confide in for advice too.

The hiring of Pioli was a move that said two things to me. 1) I got the guy everyone wanted but couldnt get, and 2) I got a guy to handle all this ish so I don't have to. I take solice in the idea Clark will not like how this has gone and is perceived by the NFL community and he will make a change so he won't be humiliated, and so he can get back to focusing on soccer, or whatever.
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6552
Location: SC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
But I get the feeling that Clark is someone that reads the press clippings. He's gonna see all the hate for Pioli, and know its not gonna be something he cant continue to ignore. He's pretty well connected in NFL circles from what I heard during the lockout, so he's gotta have some outsiders he can confide in for advice too.

The hiring of Pioli was a move that said two things to me. 1) I got the guy everyone wanted but couldnt get, and 2) I got a guy to handle all this ish so I don't have to. I take solice in the idea Clark will not like how this has gone and is perceived by the NFL community and he will make a change so he won't be humiliated, and so he can get back to focusing on soccer, or whatever.


Yeah, I honestly don't fault Clark Hunt for hiring Scott Pioli. I wasn't completely sure about Pioli coming out from the Belichick shadow and was really hoping we could grab Eric DeCosta, but Hunt made a bold move in grabbing the hot name. It was viewed as a coup by many at the time. I can't believe Pioli showed any uncertainty in the interviews with Clark to foreshadow the helter-skelter decisions he has made since being hired.

The key will be what Clark does here on out. Can he admit that ultimately he made a mistake in hiring Pioli and how will that affect him from here on out? Will he shy away from making more bold moves and try and patch the dam?

I just want us to hire an innovative and flexible GM with a clear vision of where the team needs to go from here to be consistently competitive. And I don't want a GM that is captive to past experience.

If Pioli isn't fired it doesn't really matter what we do with Crennel and Cassel - the ultimate problem will still be there.
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DT58_lives_on


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 5741
Location: St. Cloud, MN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shocking tidbit from the local news. Routt officially made 6 million dollars for 8 games.

Lets do some Pioli math...word problem style

If Routt gets 6 million for 8 games, and Cassel gets 63 million after having started 11 games since high school. How many Super Bowls will Pioli bring to KC?

ANSWER: GTFO PIOLI!
_________________


Props to Loto...the guy does great work
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kcstomp63


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 761
Location: Kansas
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
kcstomp63 wrote:
Eric Berry wrote:
kcstomp63 wrote:
Routt has been absolutely terrible this year.


We could release almost the entire team going by this


True, but they didn't release the entire team, just Routt. Teams are almost always looking for ways to bolster their secondary. Routt, who has proved he isn't a good fit or long term option for us, probably has the best chance of being picked up on the waiver wire. This means we wouldn't be responsible for his contract.

More cap money for us not to use.


Routt is a vested veteran - so his 2012 salary was guaranteed when he was on the roster week 1. Unless he's claimed on waivers (waiver systems applies to veterans as well from 1 November) the Chiefs are on the hook for his full 2012 pay and he can sign an additionalcontract with another team. Actually I think the Chiefs waited with his release until after 1 November for exactly the fat that the waiver system applies to veterans as well.


Thanks for the clarification. I am definitely the worst guy to talk salary cap with. Don't know the ins and outs of it all. Glad there are some of you that do.
_________________

Thanks to LOTO for the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ring of Fame


Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 507
Location: Lawrence, KS via KCMO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Here is a shocking tidbit from the local news. Routt officially made 6 million dollars for 8 games.

Lets do some Pioli math...word problem style

If Routt gets 6 million for 8 games, and Cassel gets 63 million after having started 11 games since high school. How many Super Bowls will Pioli bring to KC?

ANSWER: GTFO PIOLI!


Business wise, there's not been much to complain about with Pioli. He's signed several club-friendly, long-term deals with young players and hasn't wasted any money at all hardly (Cassel excluded). Paying Carr $50 million would have been a poor business decision, good 'fan' decision. Can't fault him there.

Pioli's original sin is Matt Cassel and if he's canned for it, he'll have nothing to complain about it. He's wasted 3 years we could have spent finding, god forbid developing someone. If you take this away, he's made only a few poor decisions - less than most GM's. The roster has tons of young talent, It simply needs discipline, leadership and a new vision. It needs a new coach.

`
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArrowheadRage58


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 3879
Location: Hate for the Donkeys is at a mile high
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying Carr being a good "fan" decision....you mean a "winning" decision, right? Which is what we've been told is the objective here. We would've had plenty left over if we paid Carr. It's a passing league, you don't stick with Carr, you're gonna have to find someone else to play there and you might have to pay them too, then what? Dump them and hope you can hit on CB a 3rd time? Nothing wrong with spending money on the essential positions if you truly are trying to win.
_________________
49ers Finest wrote:

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
footballfan81


Joined: 05 May 2010
Posts: 347
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Paying Carr being a good "fan" decision....you mean a "winning" decision, right? Which is what we've been told is the objective here. We would've had plenty left over if we paid Carr. It's a passing league, you don't stick with Carr, you're gonna have to find someone else to play there and you might have to pay them too, then what? Dump them and hope you can hit on CB a 3rd time? Nothing wrong with spending money on the essential positions if you truly are trying to win.


It's a passing league yet they let one of their top defensive backs walk and keep drafting run stuffing defensive linemen all the while running a passive read and react 3-4 scheme that gives QB's all day to throw. This regime must go!

Give me a GM from the Seahawks or Ravens front office. Seattle has drafted extremely well in the early and late rounds these past few years. They are also not afraid to admit mistakes and move on from them (Aaron Curry, Matt Flynn).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OILCHIEFS


Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Posts: 1473
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
But I get the feeling that Clark is someone that reads the press clippings. He's gonna see all the hate for Pioli, and know its not gonna be something he cant continue to ignore. He's pretty well connected in NFL circles from what I heard during the lockout, so he's gotta have some outsiders he can confide in for advice too.

The hiring of Pioli was a move that said two things to me. 1) I got the guy everyone wanted but couldnt get, and 2) I got a guy to handle all this ish so I don't have to. I take solice in the idea Clark will not like how this has gone and is perceived by the NFL community and he will make a change so he won't be humiliated, and so he can get back to focusing on soccer, or whatever.



I would hope Clark would make the decision based on the body of work and not on the media. Both are right, but the media is a surefire way to run a franchise to the ground.

Love the soccer comment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ring of Fame


Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 507
Location: Lawrence, KS via KCMO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Paying Carr being a good "fan" decision....you mean a "winning" decision, right? Which is what we've been told is the objective here. We would've had plenty left over if we paid Carr. It's a passing league, you don't stick with Carr, you're gonna have to find someone else to play there and you might have to pay them too, then what? Dump them and hope you can hit on CB a 3rd time? Nothing wrong with spending money on the essential positions if you truly are trying to win.


Easy for a fan to tell someone to cough up $50 million for a Top 10-15 CB. I get it if Carr is a Top-3 CB in the league, but is he? I don't think so either. He's been run ragged by Marshall and Julio this year. Revis, Peterson, Joseph, Haden, Flowers, Finnegan... You get the point. Also, investing that much money in you're defensive backfield (Berry, Flowers) is an enormous risk. Your hands are tied financially. CB's have a short shelf life (unless you're name is Woodson, Bailey, Barber) and Carr doesn't project as a 10-year guy. He's not your prototypical CB - which is not an inherently bad thing, it's just something to consider.

Loved his attitude, loved the way he played physical, tough defense and I loved the way he tackled. But at the end of the day, paying Carr Top-3 CB could have come back to bite us. Short-term it sucks, but long-term I believe it's the right thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group