Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs released Routt.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
OILCHIEFS wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Well I have never heard that Silenced

how would that work again...we don't have Routt that puts us at like 30 million under. Give us Carr, so we're down to 20. So Bowe/Albert get a near combined 20/mill a year raise if they get new deals? Admittedly i'm not up on the salary cap rules.

Now remember all the other people we would need to sign withing that 20M. All the rookies, depth players, even belcher and dorsey(maybe).

I liked the logic behind what Pioli did and at the time I thought Routt was a good deal for us. Obviously I was wrong but doesn't take away from the fact that the logic made sense.

Rage, that $26MM number, or whatever it is the highest overall number reported. The smallest is around $16MM IIRC. We are maybe somewhere in between, but the lower number came from a more reputable source IMO.

Regardless, going off of memory here, that cap room includes roughly $10MM in rollover money. So that means if we used it this year, next year we'd not have it available, and that cap room goes from $16MM-$26MM down to $6MM-$16MM. That is the issue with the idea of retaining Carr and in reality either Bowe or Albert.

Yes other's contract will change during this time and some guys will walk into UFA, but most that leave will be low priced guys. Add to that new UFA's, even cheap ones, and draft picks each year, and it becomes easy to see how signing Carr for $9MM would have tied our hands some.

What is Cassel's contract for next year?

If I picked the right one, its 7.5M. That's some decent cap relief.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then it still seems doable to me until I see otherwise, unless there's a huge amount of pay raises. Cutting Cassel seems to help alot. Keep in mind the Routt/Carr difference wasn't all that much.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Ring of Fame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Well then it still seems doable to me until I see otherwise, unless there's a huge amount of pay raises. Cutting Cassel seems to help alot. Keep in mind the Routt/Carr difference wasn't all that much.

Even if Carr takes a discount to stay with KC, he's looking for something like a 5 year / $44 million deal. Routt signed for $18 million over 3 years.

We paid Routt roughly $6 million this year. Carr makes close to $14.3 million this year in Dallas (would have made 12mm for Chiefs maybe?). The difference is huge...

`
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring of Fame wrote:
ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

Even if Carr takes a discount to stay with KC, he's looking for something like a 5 year / $44 million deal. Routt signed for $18 million over 3 years.

We paid Routt roughly $6 million this year. Carr makes close to $14.3 million this year in Dallas (would have made 12mm for Chiefs maybe?). The difference is huge...

`

The real proof will be who we lock up with the money rolled over. Carr to me is now revisionist history. We will never know if Carr would have been one of those players that would have been open to signing an extension before getting close to free agency. That is where we could have potentially retained him for a lower overall contract value with the benefit to the player being he gets a nice chunk of money up front while still in his rookie deal.

Now we are staring at a scenario where we have Bowe and Albert hitting free agency. Personally, unless there are massive changes in the front office and coaching staff, Bowe is as good as gone. When you let Albert get closer and closer to free agent money we are going to likely see him willing to hit the market unless we franchise him.

If Pioli is the GM, I see Bowe walking and the team being forced to franchise Albert. I really want to see what we do with the rollover cash Pioli has always talked about.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking to a die hard Eagles buddy of mine last night and he was saying there have been "talks" about them releasing Nnamdi at years end because his contract sky rockets after this year. There is a big possibility the Eagles clean house and start from scratch so what do you guys think of this? He would definitely come cheaper as he has struggled a bit in Philly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
I was speaking to a die hard Eagles buddy of mine last night and he was saying there have been "talks" about them releasing Nnamdi at years end because his contract sky rockets after this year. There is a big possibility the Eagles clean house and start from scratch so what do you guys think of this? He would definitely come cheaper as he has struggled a bit in Philly.

I'd love to get Nnamdi. He'd be a much better option than sitting on unused capspace.
EB29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it doesn't come at the cost of Bowe and Albert I'm ok with nnamdi. Although I really don't see it happening.

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:

But our new QB will cost most likely as much or even more at first then Cassel was going to, so that erases that move.

I wanted to keep Carr as much as anyone, and IMO it was a huge mistake to not lock him up much sooner. However, there are many financial reasons that it just didn't make a lot of sense, and I still think at that point, it was a decent move.

We're doing it again btw. IMO we should be looking to extend guys like Lewis and Houston now. Lewis will be much cheaper now then he would if he plays well next year and can stay healthy, and Houston's price tag will do nothing but go up most likely. Otherwise we will simply be looking to find replacements for these guys as a need in the next 1-2 years, or possibly having to pay them a great deal more. If we had these guys locked up, then we'd only have a few needs, and could truly go BPA in the draft, as opposed to having to find potential replacements in early rounds ala Stephenson and Baldwin.

^ryknowssd on the sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not extend Lewis unless he was dirt cheap. Injury prone, and while a good value for his draft slot I think he could easily be upgraded. Much rather have him as depth than pay a bigger contract right now. I agree with Houston though, I'd certainly float the idea.
Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
Nnamdi

I would love it even though he'll be 32ish next year and although he's been beaten in Philly i have a hard time believing he just "hit a wall" and forgot how to play. Tons of underachievers in Philly so i think (hope) that might be all it is if the opportunity arises to snag him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5WYigZHME
Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:

I wanted to keep Carr as much as anyone, and IMO it was a huge mistake to not lock him up much sooner. However, there are many financial reasons that it just didn't make a lot of sense, and I still think at that point, it was a decent move.

Agree with this. If they didn't go the frugal route all the time with some players that we/they KNOW are outplaying these smallish rookie deals then i think we'd still have our Carr. Sad part is i don't really see the trend ending anytime soon.

Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
I would not extend Lewis unless he was dirt cheap. Injury prone, and while a good value for his draft slot I think he could easily be upgraded. Much rather have him as depth than pay a bigger contract right now. I agree with Houston though, I'd certainly float the idea.

This this and more this. Solid player that cant shake the injury bug.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: