Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nate Potter, snap by snap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Nate Potter, snap by snap Reply with quote

Key; #52 = Clay Mathrws, #93 = Erik Walden, #54 = Dezman Moses, #90 = BJ Raji, #96 = Mike Neal, #59 = Brad Jones

*Numbers are as I could make the out via the broadcast, they may be inaccurate, specifically #93 and #54 could be mixed up as I had a lot of #94 showing up, but the Packers don't have a #94 on their roster.*

1 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #52, Quick feet strong hands pushes Pass Rusher past the QB, Deep Throw to Roberts complete for big yards
2 – Run, fires off ball with good leverage, makes it to second level. LSH bounces outside gain of 1 maybe 2.
3 – Lines up as TE on strongside outside Massie. Blocks down and really does not achieve much. LSH has to bounce outside and makes it to the Pylon for a TD.
4 – Run, Design has him go straight to 2nd level. Does not fully engage the LB, but makes him take the long way around. Run to opposite side, LB not a factor in play.
5 – Pass, good pass set, good technique. Engages with #52 and gets some help. Stonewalled. Pass incomplete
6 – Pass, DE/LB stunt. DE goes inside, OLB comes outside. Potter goes with DE gets a hand on him then shows good foot speed to then come back outside and get a good block on the OLB. RB plays the wrong man in blitz pickup double teaming the OLB and allowing the DE a free road to the QB. Pass thrown well, dropped by Doucet
7 – Pass 1 v 1 with #52, gets his hands on him, not all out blitz, but Potter cedes no ground, pass complete to Fitzgerald.
8 – Pass 1 v 1 with #52, #52 goes with a dip and rip move and gets past Potter. Potter gets his hands back onto #52 and pushes him into the ground, could have been far worse, good recovery. Skelton got rid of ball quickly and had plenty of room to step into if need be. Pass complete to Fitzgerald
9 – Run 1 v1 with #96. Potter sells pass well on the draw play, takes #96 out of the play. Solid gain for LSH
10 – Pass #54 and #59 stunt. Potter does well passing #54 off inside and picking up #59, good block, pass complete to Floyd
11 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #52. Potter beaten by inside move, but recovers well and rides #52 across the formation and out of the play. Colledge owned for a sack.
12 – Pass, gets held from a back on #93. Knows he has help, gives him the outside, back and Potter don’t allow him to get close. Skelton throws into coverage, incompete pass.
13 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #93, quick throw, pass rush not an issue, Potter was in good position on the play. Pass dropped by Doucet.
14 – Pass, 1 v1 with #52. Gives up outside hoping for chip from back, does not get it. Halts the progress with one hand, not holding, gets a second hand back on, very nice block. Skelton forces it into coverage, tipped and intercepted.
15 – Run, again they run away from Potter (Tendency?) Potter blocks down the line in direction of run and gets to the second level. Does not really block anyone, but his man read the run direction well and Potter never really had a chance. Gain of a couple for LSH
16 – Playaction Pass, Potter sells run well coming downhill, blocking looks very similar to previous play apart from the LG pulling. (Potter blocks the player Colledge leaves). Skelton makes a good throw down left sideline, would have been good gain if Fitzgerald does not slip.
17 – Pass, DE/OLB stunt, Potter again deals with it very well, He and Colledge are on the same page. Potter makes a great block to give Skelton time. He makes a good throw to a well covered Housler who drops it.
18 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #52. Deals with it well, quick feet, good bend nice hands. #52 looks like he might disengage late, but no danger to QB. Pass complete to Floyd.
19 – Pass, 1v 1 with #52. Beaten by a siwft inside move, Skelton is able to get out of the arms of #52 and throw the ball away. Hit allowed.
20 – Pass, 1 v1 with #54, Potter deals with the outside rush very well. Not even a hint of pressure. Pass incomplete
21 – Pass, 1 v1 with what looks like #93 (unsure), start to get bull rushed early, but then anchors and stops the pass rush in its tracks, pass complete to Housler
22 – Pass, playaction, 1 v 1 with #54, long developing play. Potter gets away with a hold here, but was in good position early, and was not beaten for a good 4 seconds, big play downfield complete to Roberts.
23 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #54. Beaten to the outside pretty easily. #54 disrupts the pass. Hurry Allowed.
24 – Run, draw play. Potter blocks down as designed. Pushes #90 about 3 yards past the LOS. Really nice drive block, LSH gets 4 odd after almost going down in backfield.
25 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #55. #55 rushes the outside. Potter is somewhat beaten, but he rides the pass rush past the QB, pass completed to Fitzgerald for a 31 yard TD.
26 – Run , run outside right, Potter blocks down, cannot get play-side of LB to make the block. Continues right up into the third level to find a block. Good Hustle. Gain of 10 for LSH
27 – Pass 1 v 1 with #54. Beaten by outside rush, possibly got away with a hold here, Skelton has to get rid of it quickly, incomplete pass, possible hurry allowed depending on your definition.
28 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #54, deals very well with delayed blitz, #54 gets nowhere on play. Pass complete to Housler for a first down.
29 – Run, Run inside left, Potter blocks down and gets to second level on #50. LSH gains 4 or so.
30 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #93. #93 fakes inside move then goes outside. Potter deals with this OK, but gets caught a little flat footed. Possible hold. Pass completed big gain to Housler. Possible Hurry
31 – Pass – 1 v 1 with #54, #54 has to take a wide route to get outside TE running route. Barely engaged with Potter at all, pass complete for a short gain to Sherman.
32 – Pass, playaction, 1 v 1 with #96. Potter anchors well, and does not allow the bull rush to gain much ground. Pass complete to Roberts for a first down.
33 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #54, Potter sets well gets outside good block, Skelton has time. Incomplete to Floyd over the middle in endzone.
34 – Pass, DE/OLB stunt. Potter deals with it very well, picks up the DE and he has zero impact on the play. Pass complete to Fitzgerald down to the 2 yard line.
35 – Run, to the right side away from Potter. Potter blocks down and takes his man out of play. LSH loses 1/ no gain.
36 - Run, Outside left. Potter gets upright, but still holds his ground vs #90. LSH makes terrible decision to cut it back, loses a couple.
37 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #93, quick hitter route, Potter never looked like giving up any ground on the play. Pass thrown a little short to Fitz, incomplete, possible drop, but very, very tough play to make.
38 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #93. #93 tries to beat him on the inside, but Potter deals with it easily. Pass complete to Housler but short of a first down.
39 – Pass 1 v 1 with #54, Potter beaten to the outside quite soundly. Hit allowed. Incomplete pass, underthrown to Floyd almost picked.
40 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #54. Potter with a very sound block. Nothing doing here, Pass complete to Floyd.
41 – Pass, Screen. Potter Blocks down the releases to try and get in front of LSH. #93 reads it very well and makes the tackle 6 yards deep in the backfield.
42 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #93, goes outside Potter follows and blocks well. Pass complete to Fitzgerald. Stupid personal foul on Ohrnberger.
43 – Pass, DE/OLB stunt. Potter follows OLB, then goes to pick up DE. Colledge does not pick up the stunt, and OLB almost get a hit on Skelton. Pass completed to Floyd.
44 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #93. Begins to get bull rushed then anchors and holds ground very well. Pass incomplete to Roberts
45 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #54, goes with a stutter step and Potter gets caught a little flat footed after good initial set. Recovers well and makes sure no contact with the QB is made. Pass complete deep to the right to Floyd.
46 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #54, good set, anchors on Bull Rush, but then gets ripped past. Recovers OK, but was too close for comfort. Hurry allowed. Pass completed to Roberts for a first down.
47 - Pass, 1 v 1 with #93, not really a pass rush, Potter mirrors him, no pressure allowed, pass incomplete.
48 – Run, draw play. Potter gives his man the outside as per design, but LSH is swallowed in the backfield.
49 – Pass, 1 v 1 with #54. No pressure hinder tries a spin move, but to no avail. Pass incomplete on fourth down to Roberts who was interfered with.

Overall

49 snaps, 38 pass, 11 runs;

38 pass protection snaps, 2 hits, 2/3 hurries allowed. One of the hits probably should have been a sack, but still a very good day from a seveth round rookie who has a lot of time 1 v 1 with Clay Mathews III. Was not really asked to do a lot in the run game, but did not stand out in a bad way at all.

There is a lot to like about this kid. He looked smart, dealt with every End/Linebacker stunt like a veteran. Has very quick feet. Its a knee bender and uses his long arms to keep defenders away from him. Anchored surprisingly well against a few bull rushes, especially after he was going backwards early on some of the.

A lot to like from a seventh round rookie. Far superior to anything we have seen here at all this season. Potter should start at LT for this team the rest of the season, and he could be looking at a semi-long term job if he can keep up the kind of performance he showed today with a couple of tweaks.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap dude you are AWESOME. I'm trying not to jump on the bandwagon right away because we've been burned doing that before but he looked the part. If he struggles the rest of the way at least we'll have some good & cheap depth. What gets me excited is that he's doing it at LT so Levi might move back over if Potter continues his play...

Why'd he fall to the 7th again?

The Rebuild Has Begun...
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Holy crap dude you are AWESOME. I'm trying not to jump on the bandwagon right away because we've been burned doing that before but he looked the part. If he struggles the rest of the way at least we'll have some good & cheap depth. What gets me excited is that he's doing it at LT so Levi might move back over if Potter continues his play...

The book on him was little impact on the run game and a low ceiling I believe.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:

From my understanding was because lack or overall strength and injury concerns. All so some talk about his arms not being long enough but I'm not sure were that comes from as they are 34 and 5/8 inches in length and that is a little over the NFL average for tackles.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder can I copy this and use it on another cardinal form. I would not take any credit for it.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
khodder can I copy this and use it on another cardinal form. I would not take any credit for it.

Why don't you just post the link to this thread?
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Boise&cards Fan wrote:

Why don't you just post the link to this thread?

That is a good idea

JohnnyV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Khodder.

People forget this guy was an All American. I think multiple times.

He has ability and obviously is a bright kid.

Man, how HUGE would it be if he showed enough to save us a first or second round selection next year...

I mean, Jason Peters was undrafted. Demetrius Bell, although he's come back to earth, was a 6th rounder.

Dare to dream.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
Great stuff Khodder.

People forget this guy was an All American. I think multiple times.

He has ability and obviously is a bright kid.

Man, how HUGE would it be if he showed enough to save us a first or second round selection next year...

I mean, Jason Peters was undrafted. Demetrius Bell, although he's come back to earth, was a 6th rounder.

Dare to dream.

Bolded: Don't think anyone forget just, more or less, nobody cares. AA status doesn't mean anything.
iRobot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read every line and as I was reading, was thinking.. gosh, this kid is good against a strong Dom Capers defense that is known for getting to the QB. For his first outing, he essentially was catapulted into the fires. Not just put into the fire.. CATAPULTED. Green Bay is a tough rush to stop.

Any of his "deficiencies" that got listed from college can be fixed with strength and coaching. If we get a steal in the 7th round to plug up LT and then we can plug up RT with Levi.. this could be amazing for the future of our line.

Immediately he appeared to be an upgrade over Batiste. I watched him solely on a few plays (my eyes have a habit of scanning the entire field/screen) and he looked like he held his own very well. I saw the bull rush that was referenced where he set his anchor and held it off.. that's one I thought he would have trouble with and he did very well.

Exciting..

Thanks for the notes Khodder
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the breakdown Khodder! I'm finally watching the game now and was just thinking "Potter doesn't look all that bad!" when I saw this post. Trying not to get too excited, but maybe it's already too late for that!

So, does anyone want to pat Grimm on the back for prepping this kid or are we going to pretend Potter did this all on his own? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiz's presser is ongoing right now and he just said that Nate Potter's play has won him the left tackle job coming out of the bye.
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Potter did a very good job under the circumstance. I think he did get away with some hold. Now he just needs to improve on a weekly basis and maybe he could be a solid LT.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Ol gets away with a hold now and then
iRobot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF ReFo Cards @ Packers -

Potter (-3.1 grade) in giving up one hit and five hurries.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/06/refo-cardinals-packers-week-9/

Interesting to see. I thought he did much better than that personally when watching.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: