Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The importance of an offensive Head Coach
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: The importance of an offensive Head Coach Reply with quote

After thinking about who our next HC should be last night I realized that we NEED an offensive minded head coach. Not even a guy who helps with the game plan, but a coach who actually calls the plays. Look at the top rated offenses year in and year out, what do they all have in common? Continuity at the head coach / offensive coordinator position. Sean Payton - Drew Brees / Mike McCarthy - Aaron Rodgers / Bill Bellichick - Tom Brady / Joe Flacco - John Harbaugh / Matt Schaub - Gary Kubiak / hell even Alex Smith and Jim Harbaugh now! And the list goes on. Look at qbs who never had the same coach or coordinator - Jason Campbell comes to mind. Matt Cassel comes to mind. Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler etc..

Take a look at Ryan Tannehill for example this year. New head coach (who is offensive minded of course) but the same offensive coordinator from college. Continuity. Familiarity. Being comfortable. All those things play into being a successful team every single damn year, and we know as well as anyone it begins with the QB.

I don't want Perry Fewell as our new head coach, because even if we sign a great offensive coordinator, he will be gone in 2-3 years as a coach somewhere else, and everything is lost with Barkley / Smith / Wilson / Glennon, whomever.

Find me a quarterback who had a rotating offensive coordinator or head coach and who stayed successful throughout his career. I certainly can't think of anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Chip Kelly and Matt Barkley? That would be a nice combo to start with

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of an offensive Head Coach Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:

Find me a quarterback who had a rotating offensive coordinator or head coach and who stayed successful throughout his career. I certainly can't think of anyone.

That's because if you're a successful QB, coaches tend to stay with that QB and you usually win so there aren't gonna be many changes.

I do want an offensive coach unless it's Cowher, but he doesn't have to call plays.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of an offensive Head Coach Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

That's because if you're a successful QB, coaches tend to stay with that QB and you usually win so there aren't gonna be many changes.

I do want an offensive coach unless it's Cowher, but he doesn't have to call plays.

That is exactly my point. Consistency. We never have both the coach and the qb. That's why we will always be a bad - middle of the pack team.

Chip Kelly and Barkley is a great damn start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all starts from the top. We need a GM that can identify a complete team philosophical strategy and identify the types of coaches that provide the best opportunity for success within that structure.

Nobody including the GM, the head coach, and the coordinators (and likely the assistant coaches) have been on the same page. They have been patch-worked in and forced to integrate based on Pioli continually tinkering with personality conflicts and other issues.

Just for a minute reflect back on all of the coaches we have had during Pioli's tenure. That is alot of change. And as was mentioned, the key is stability.

The best GMs and head coaches put the right people in the right places on the coaching staff and on the roster. A good GM will find a head coach, help him assemble his coaching staff, and then work with the coaching staff to identify the right players to fit what they are looking to do, and then more importantly - get the hell out of the way.

Irregardless if a head coach is historically from the defensive or offensive side of the ball doesn't matter IMO - what is important is that they understand how the manage all of the moving parts. It is all about having the right people in the right places.

You can't have people continually getting thrown together every year on a coaching staff and expect them to all be on the same page from day 1 or in some cases ever get on the same page.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say Tyler Wilson and....ahem....Bobby Petrino?

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Dare I say Tyler Wilson and....ahem....Bobby Petrino?

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
EB29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The importance of an offensive Head Coach Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
After thinking about who our next HC should be last night I realized that we NEED an offensive minded head coach. Not even a guy who helps with the game plan, but a coach who actually calls the plays. Look at the top rated offenses year in and year out, what do they all have in common? Continuity at the head coach / offensive coordinator position. Sean Payton - Drew Brees / Mike McCarthy - Aaron Rodgers / Bill Bellichick - Tom Brady / Joe Flacco - John Harbaugh / Matt Schaub - Gary Kubiak / hell even Alex Smith and Jim Harbaugh now! And the list goes on. Look at qbs who never had the same coach or coordinator - Jason Campbell comes to mind. Matt Cassel comes to mind. Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler etc..

Take a look at Ryan Tannehill for example this year. New head coach (who is offensive minded of course) but the same offensive coordinator from college. Continuity. Familiarity. Being comfortable. All those things play into being a successful team every single damn year, and we know as well as anyone it begins with the QB.

I don't want Perry Fewell as our new head coach, because even if we sign a great offensive coordinator, he will be gone in 2-3 years as a coach somewhere else, and everything is lost with Barkley / Smith / Wilson / Glennon, whomever.

Bolded.
Cam Cameron calls the plays.
I totally agree with this. Keeping the same system will really allow our quarterback to grow into it a know the system inside and out. Huge benefit long tern when he is in his prime.

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
TambaHawk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Berry wrote:

EXACTLY WHAT I HAD IN MIND!! Chip was interviewed for Bucs job but he stayed in college because he wants to win a BCS Championship. If he wins one this year and the Chiefs have the first overall pick, I do not see why he wouldn't take the job! So for now, Let's go OREGON!!

TambaHawk wrote:
Oh we are getting a Smith just not Geno Smith Laughing
Eric Berry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TambaHawk wrote:
Eric Berry wrote:

EXACTLY WHAT I HAD IN MIND!! Chip was interviewed for Bucs job but he stayed in college because he wants to win a BCS Championship. If he wins one this year and the Chiefs have the first overall pick, I do not see why he wouldn't take the job! So for now, Let's go OREGON!!

Maybe Chip could even get Bowe to sign long term as long as the new GM paid him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Berry wrote:

Give me Chip Kelly and any of the top 3 QB's this year and next year will be like a dream.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I agree that continuity is big, but we don't need a HC to call plays for that. You mentioned Brady and Flacco, but neither has a HC that calls the plays. Brady has actually had several different OCs in his career. Matt Ryan and Roethlisberger have too.

We need to find the best HC possible, and then build a staff for the long term. Have a replacement in house for both coordinators because hopefully we're so successful they do get jobs somewhere else if that's what they want.

This is part of the reason I'd like for us to get Norv as an OC. Chances are this was his last HC job, so his options will be limited. Pair him with a strong and organized coach and a fresh and talented QB and we could easily be set like the Giants are.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Mikek163

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Mike I agree that continuity is big, but we don't need a HC to call plays for that. You mentioned Brady and Flacco, but neither has a HC that calls the plays. Brady has actually had several different OCs in his career. Matt Ryan and Roethlisberger have too.

We need to find the best HC possible, and then build a staff for the long term. Have a replacement in house for both coordinators because hopefully we're so successful they do get jobs somewhere else if that's what they want.

This is part of the reason I'd like for us to get Norv as an OC. Chances are this was his last HC job, so his options will be limited. Pair him with a strong and organized coach and a fresh and talented QB and we could easily be set like the Giants are.

Chip Kelly - HC
Norv Turner - OC

Or no?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Chip Kelly - HC
Norv Turner - OC

Or no?

I am not sure Turner is going to be an option. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him as OC, but after beating us I wouldn't be shocked if the Chargers go on some miracle run and Turner is redeemed in the eyes of the NFL community. The Kansas City Chiefs - the cure for what ails an opponent! LOL

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit I don't know much about Chip Kelly, but my concern would be his ability to go to the NFL and actually like it. In receng years there's been some good successes with college coaches coming into the NFL and some major disasters.

Carroll and Harbaugh are the big successes. Both had long NFL ties and experience, with Carroll actually being a HC before.

The two failures that mainly come to mind are Saban and Petrino. They both seemingly left because they just didn't like the NFL. I worry that Kelly might be similar to them, as he too has little to no NFL experience. I can imagine it being quite different coaching guys who are getting paid to play. On the books anyway.

I'm certainly not opposed to Kelly, but I'd be worried we'd be setting ourselves up for a quick exit, especially if things are rough starting out.

^ryknowssd on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: