Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The importance of an offensive Head Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
I am not necessarily promoting this idea but :

What about Ken Whisenhunt as an OC candidate if he gets fired as HC of the Cardinals?

Ken Whisenhunt Career Bio

Quote:
PRE-ARIZONA COACHING CAREER:
Whisenhunt came to the Cardinals with 10 years of experience as an NFL assistant coach and also played nine seasons in the league as a tight end and H-Back.
Immediately before coming to Arizona, Whisenhunt served six seasons as an assistant on Bill Cowher’s staff with the Pittsburgh Steelers. After three years as tight ends coach, he spent the 2005-07 seasons as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator and helped the team to a victory over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.
In his first year as coordinator, the Steelers rushing attack improved from 31st to 2nd and the overall offense ranked 16th behind rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger. His second year ended with an NFL title after the Steelers offense averaged 26.8 points per game in the playoffs. Pittsburgh’s 2006 offense ranked 7th overall (9th passing and 10th rushing).
Whisenhunt took over as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator in 2004 when Mike Mularkey became head coach of the Bills. That was the same year the team drafted Roethlisberger and the rookie QB went on to set an NFL record with wins in his first 13 career starts en route to Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. The next season he became the youngest QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl and finished third in the league in passer rating (98.6).
Whisenhunt joined the Steelers in January of 2001 as tight ends coach when Mularkey was elevated from that position to offensive coordinator. He previously coached at the pro level with the New York Jets (tight ends, 2000), Cleveland Browns (special teams, 1999) and Baltimore Ravens (tight ends, 1997-9Cool. He began his coaching career in the collegiate ranks with Vanderbilt for two seasons (1995-96).

Love it

I don't know if there is a coach that has done more with less talent than Whisenhunt
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
I am not necessarily promoting this idea but :

What about Ken Whisenhunt as an OC candidate if he gets fired as HC of the Cardinals?

Ken Whisenhunt Career Bio

Quote:
PRE-ARIZONA COACHING CAREER:
Whisenhunt came to the Cardinals with 10 years of experience as an NFL assistant coach and also played nine seasons in the league as a tight end and H-Back.
Immediately before coming to Arizona, Whisenhunt served six seasons as an assistant on Bill Cowher’s staff with the Pittsburgh Steelers. After three years as tight ends coach, he spent the 2005-07 seasons as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator and helped the team to a victory over Seattle in Super Bowl XL.
In his first year as coordinator, the Steelers rushing attack improved from 31st to 2nd and the overall offense ranked 16th behind rookie QB Ben Roethlisberger. His second year ended with an NFL title after the Steelers offense averaged 26.8 points per game in the playoffs. Pittsburgh’s 2006 offense ranked 7th overall (9th passing and 10th rushing).
Whisenhunt took over as Pittsburgh’s offensive coordinator in 2004 when Mike Mularkey became head coach of the Bills. That was the same year the team drafted Roethlisberger and the rookie QB went on to set an NFL record with wins in his first 13 career starts en route to Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. The next season he became the youngest QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl and finished third in the league in passer rating (98.6).
Whisenhunt joined the Steelers in January of 2001 as tight ends coach when Mularkey was elevated from that position to offensive coordinator. He previously coached at the pro level with the New York Jets (tight ends, 2000), Cleveland Browns (special teams, 1999) and Baltimore Ravens (tight ends, 1997-9Cool. He began his coaching career in the collegiate ranks with Vanderbilt for two seasons (1995-96).

Love it

I don't know if there is a coach that has done more with less talent than Whisenhunt

I will tell you OC, if the Cardinals continue to falter and Whisenhunt is fired, I think there are going to be some quality coaches hitting the market. I could see Ray Horton being the interim head coach, but after the season he would be my #1 candidate for HC.

IF Whisenhunt was fired and was available, IMO it is an intriguing thought having him as OC. He has experience working with young quarterbacks and in the case of Big Ben, successfully right out of the gate.

Now what would be interesting is if Whisenhunt would consider being OC on Horton's staff should he be hired as HC - considering their roles would be reversed.

I was looking into the coaching background of Horton and Darren Perry, and another interesting tidbit is that Horton was actually the assistant defensive backs coach at Pittsburgh for several years at the same time Perry was the defensive backs coach - another potential role reversal.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicfre,

Let's say we get Whisenhunt as our OC. Wouldnt that make it even more attractive for Cowher to come? Albeit usually the HC is chosen before OC.

Why not talk to both of them about it?
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OILCHIEFS wrote:
Nicfre,

Let's say we get Whisenhunt as our OC. Wouldnt that make it even more attractive for Cowher to come? Albeit usually the HC is chosen before OC.

I would think that we would have to convince Cowher to come on board first with the idea he could assemble his coaching staff as he sees fit. My guess is Cowher would probably want some amount of control over player personnel decisions, so it all starts with the GM. I wouldn't want Cowher to handle both responsibilities.

In this scenario, maybe Cowher HC, Whisenhunt OC, and Darren Perry DC? Then we might as well try and grab Deshea Townsend as DB coach and Kevin Greene as LB coach!

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
OILCHIEFS wrote:
Nicfre,

I would think that we would have to convince Cowher to come on board first with the idea he could assemble his coaching staff as he sees fit. My guess is Cowher would probably want some amount of control over player personnel decisions, so it all starts with the GM. I wouldn't want Cowher to handle both responsibilities.

In this scenario, maybe Cowher HC, Whisenhunt OC, and Darren Perry DC? Then we might as well try and grab Deshea Townsend as DB coach and Kevin Greene as LB coach!

Now we're talking. Laughing best part of that scenario is the change from FB 3-4 to a more attacking style which is so desperately needed in today's NFL.

But seriously it all starts with GM. I like a GM who makes the tough decisions but isn't afraid to consider everyone's thoughts. It seems to me that Pioli already has a plan/vision and he won't stray from that.

If we do get Cowher, the

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: