Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Next Head Coach candidates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
Does anyone know if there is any truth to Jimmy Haslam being close with Nick Saban? I've heard this a few times but cannot find anything about their paths crossing professionally. I am on the fence with Saban as he is my 2nd favorite college coach and an obvious leader and I think he can do great things in the NFL but it didn't go well the last time.

Only thing that really sours me is what happened in Miami. For him to just up and leave like he did was crummy, not to mention it was to go to a huge rival of the team he used to coach. Just kind of irks me.

Not to mention I don't know how he'd fair again in the NFL.

Yes he's a good coach, but it also helps when you can just recruit elite talent every year rather than using a draft and FA.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201211/how-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-can-spark-moneyball-revolution-nfl

Article about why Chip Kelly is the way he is and how they think he would be a beast in the NFL.

Just an fyi

Very good read

freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201211/how-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-can-spark-moneyball-revolution-nfl

Article about why Chip Kelly is the way he is and how they think he would be a beast in the NFL.

Just an fyi

Very good read

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/arians-kelly-bradley-among-nfl-head-coaching-candidates-230715249--nfl.html

On a similar vein. I don't know how I feel about Kelly yet, but I think I'm leaning towards the yes side, as I think he's a really smart guy who would mold his system to the NFL's level very well, and that Weeden would work out very well in a more spread oriented offense.

Other guys I like:

Quote:
Gus Bradley, defensive coordinator, Seattle Seahawks -- The 46-year-old coached linebackers on Monte Kiffin's staff with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before he was hired by Jim Mora to coordinate the defense in 2009. With Pete Carroll also mentored by Kiffin, it was not much of a surprise when Bradley was one of two assistant coaches retained by Carroll when he took over the Seahawks in 2010. In the last three seasons, the Seahawks have built one of the NFL's most physical and multiple defenses, which Bradley deserves equal credit for. Bradley could be the in-house heir apparent for Carroll in Seattle, a set-up that didn't work out so well the last time that organization tried it (Mike Holmgren-to-Mora).

Quote:
Perry Fewell, defensive coordinator, New York Giants -- Despite the 50-year-old Fewell being one of the NFL's top defensive coordinators over the last five-plus seasons, and interviewing for and not getting four openings the previous offseason, none of the seven organizations who were searching for a head coach in 2012 asked Fewell to interview. Oh well. Fewell can find solace in the Super Bowl ring he earned with the Giants last season, a memento won largely on the strength of Fewell's defense.

Overall, I'm done with Shurmur and am looking forward to a change in coaches but not necessarily in system next year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

Just an fyi

Very good read

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/arians-kelly-bradley-among-nfl-head-coaching-candidates-230715249--nfl.html

On a similar vein. I don't know how I feel about Kelly yet, but I think I'm leaning towards the yes side, as I think he's a really smart guy who would mold his system to the NFL's level very well, and that Weeden would work out very well in a more spread oriented offense.

Other guys I like:

Quote:
Gus Bradley, defensive coordinator, Seattle Seahawks -- The 46-year-old coached linebackers on Monte Kiffin's staff with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before he was hired by Jim Mora to coordinate the defense in 2009. With Pete Carroll also mentored by Kiffin, it was not much of a surprise when Bradley was one of two assistant coaches retained by Carroll when he took over the Seahawks in 2010. In the last three seasons, the Seahawks have built one of the NFL's most physical and multiple defenses, which Bradley deserves equal credit for. Bradley could be the in-house heir apparent for Carroll in Seattle, a set-up that didn't work out so well the last time that organization tried it (Mike Holmgren-to-Mora).

Quote:
Perry Fewell, defensive coordinator, New York Giants -- Despite the 50-year-old Fewell being one of the NFL's top defensive coordinators over the last five-plus seasons, and interviewing for and not getting four openings the previous offseason, none of the seven organizations who were searching for a head coach in 2012 asked Fewell to interview. Oh well. Fewell can find solace in the Super Bowl ring he earned with the Giants last season, a memento won largely on the strength of Fewell's defense.

Overall, I'm done with Shurmur and am looking forward to a change in coaches but not necessarily in system next year.

I've always liked Fewell as well.

ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

Just an fyi

Very good read

I am also warming up to Chip Kelly. It would definitely be an "outside the box" hire, but what the hell. I'm tired of being in this damn box.

I have no idea if Kelly would be a successful NFL coach, but I'd be willing to take the chance.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:

Just an fyi

Very good read

I am also warming up to Chip Kelly. It would definitely be an "outside the box" hire, but what the hell. I'm tired of being in this damn box.

I have no idea if Kelly would be a successful NFL coach, but I'd be willing to take the chance.

We'd never have to worry about punting on 4th and 1 again. Laughing

I really think i'd love this hire.

Let's hope he wins the Title this year so he no longer has unfinished business at Oregon.

candyman93

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we signed Chip Kelly, does that guarantee Dion Jordan will be our first pick? Also I wonder if he would convince Jairus Byrd to sign with us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
If we signed Chip Kelly, does that guarantee Dion Jordan will be our first pick? Also I wonder if he would convince Jairus Byrd to sign with us.

I'm fine either way with Kelly being our first pick. I think he has elite potential as far as his talent goes.

captin midnight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone considered Bill O'Brien. What he's done at Penn State this year is impressive and he's got all the experience you would want. He may not leave because he has too much integrity to leave on his players. But, everyone is saying he is drawing major interest from the the NFL.
buno67

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captin midnight wrote:
Has anyone considered Bill O'Brien. What he's done at Penn State this year is impressive and he's got all the experience you would want. He may not leave because he has too much integrity to leave on his players. But, everyone is saying he is drawing major interest from the the NFL.

i dont want to try another coach from the Bill Belichick coaching tree...we have tried twice and they have been both fails!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
captin midnight wrote:

i dont want to try another coach from the Bill Belichick coaching tree...we have tried twice and they have been both fails!!!

That doesn't mean this guy will fail.

TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
captin midnight wrote:

Both were defensive guys though, O'Brien is an offensive guy. We seen that McDaniels offense translate with Kyle Orton of all people and O'Brien uses the same concepts
captin midnight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
buno67 wrote:
captin midnight wrote:

That doesn't mean this guy will fail.

Completely agree...He is winning and keeping that team intact with all of the controversy around the school. And he rebounded from a 0-2 start. I think he would be a great candidate for a Head Coaching job in the NFL. I just don't think he would leave the program so soon.
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Gus Bradley - Great football mind who is willing to try new things and learn from others. Not just stuck in his ways ala Romeo, Mangini, Rex Ryan ect. Also a great teacher.

2. Ray Horton - Seems to be a very good leader and defensive mind who has learned from one of the best in - LeBeau as well as along with some of the best in John Mitchell and Keith Butler

3. Chip Kelly - Warming up to the idea so long as he agrees to bring in PROVEN NFL coordinators.

4. Josh McDaniels - Great offensive mind who can still be a great coach in this league. Many great football minds have failed in their first chance only to learn from it such as Belichek himself, Pete Carroll and others. I know this guy will and he has great football minds from his past he can learn from such as his Dad, Belichek, Mangini, Rob Ryan, and even Nick Saban who gave him his coaching start at Michigan State.

5. Nick Saban - Obviously a great leader and great football mind. He has failed in the NFL once, but that doesn't mean he will again.

6. Mel Tucker - Long shot here as his team is not winning and that is where coordinators to head coach usually come from. He always has hit unit on top from DBs at Michigan State to LSU to Ohio State and then in the NFL with Cleveland. His defense out perfromed Todd Grantham's with the same talent here in Cleveland as well then last season with a very undertalented defense led Jacksonville to the 6th best defense in the league. Another Nick Saban football offspring.

7. Jerome Henderson - Like Mel Tucker has been a great DBs coach for a while and has learned under Rob Ryan for a while.

8. Rex Ryan - May get fired in New York. Can be a good leader. I don't think Mike Tannebaum is giving him good character guys to work with out there and things are getting away from him.

9. Bruce Arians - Down field attacking offense that would work great here in Cleveland. Getting head coaching expierence now in Pagano's abscence. Connections to Jimmy Haslam.

Jamison on the sig
cattleman78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:

Whoever is our new coach no way do I want him to have final decision on who we draft. Just doesn't work out very well usually. I feel the coach should be involved in the off season but not run it.

Just with our team Butch Davis was a good coach but drafted poorly. Remember Savage asking Crennel if he wanted a pass rusher [Wimbley] or a def. tackle [Ngata]. Crennel said pass rusher and that made Baltimore happy for many years.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: