Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Next Head Coach candidates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Drew_Carey


Joined: 10 Mar 2012
Posts: 1478
Location: Seattle - Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the candidate pool could be quite large.... I say interview everyone and narrow it down from there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mas_atc


Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Posts: 1381
Location: Akron, Ohio
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productiondawg wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
Pruitt3443 wrote:
What about a guy like Rob Chudzinski as a potential option?


Failed OC from 2007-08? No thanks


He's not doing that hot this year either.

As far as Mareneli goes, does anyone know how much of that 0-16 season was on the coach? As I recall, their talent that year was really terrible.


I was looking up his staff from that year, and it sounded like he did a VERY poor job of hiring when it came to his staff. I know his D coaches were his son-in-law and son-in-law's dad... not good. He also had a quote saying... "well you fire coaches, you don't fire players". If we did go the Marinelli route, I would like a staff of him, Bob Babich (LB coach for Bears) be DC, and maybe Jim Caldwell (former Colts HC and current Ravens QB coach) be OC.... only reason I say Caldwell is they both fall under the Dungy coaching tree and probably think similar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JCBrowns21


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 931
Location: Chi Town
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productiondawg wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
Pruitt3443 wrote:
What about a guy like Rob Chudzinski as a potential option?


Failed OC from 2007-08? No thanks


He's not doing that hot this year either.

As far as Mareneli goes, does anyone know how much of that 0-16 season was on the coach? As I recall, their talent that year was really terrible.


Most of the blame fell squarely on the shoulders of Matt Millen. Marinelli didn't win anyone over, but hard to blame him with those QBs and overall lack of talent. Think he's better as a coordinator than HC though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
clubberlang


Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 143
Location: OH10
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 guys I would be interested to bring in for an interview would be

Mike McCoy (has had success with his offenses while getting the most out of what he had to work with. Has used 3 different systems and made the most out of them from the orton qb days to tebow to payton.)

Chip Kelly (The name that scares the hell out of me but also intrigues me. He has his team competing year in and year out. His offensive style works in college and he is one of the top coaches in the college ranks. I just don't know if he could make the transition to the NFL.)

Jon Gruden (Had a pretty good record in Oakland and then won the SB in Tampa after Oakland traded him. After that he was up and down posting a couple of winning seasons. He's been out of the league since 08 so who knows if he even wants to come back.)

Josh McDaniels (Started off hot in Denver but could not sustain it. Has shown he has a great offensive mind. I think he got a little too much power and was not ready for it. In the right situation, I think he could be a very good head coach.)

Perry Fewell (Been around the league for a while as either a db coach or DC. Even worked under Jauron at one point I believe. Maybe Jauron would stick around if we go that route.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31134
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is only one benefit i see in firing shurmur. I know ppl say it was have a positive impact on the team but I believe it will have a positive impact on the organzation.

I think if Haslem/Banner fire shurmur that it will show future coaches or any future employee that if you dont get your job done you will be replace. That it can send a message to our next head coach if you dont produce you will be fire.

do i want to fire shurmur? no i dont not
do i see a benefit if we fire shurmur? somewhat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 5524
Location: WV
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
there is only one benefit i see in firing shurmur. I know ppl say it was have a positive impact on the team but I believe it will have a positive impact on the organzation.

I think if Haslem/Banner fire shurmur that it will show future coaches or any future employee that if you dont get your job done you will be replace. That it can send a message to our next head coach if you dont produce you will be fire.

do i want to fire shurmur? no i dont not
do i see a benefit if we fire shurmur? somewhat


We already have the reputation of firing coaches for not doing their jobs. We also have the reputation of firing coaches without giving them time to turn the team around. I don't think you inspire potential coaching candidates to apply by showing them that they will be on a short leash.

I do suspect we will have a different head coach next year, and hopefully it will be the last one for a long time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drew_Carey


Joined: 10 Mar 2012
Posts: 1478
Location: Seattle - Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
there is only one benefit i see in firing shurmur. I know ppl say it was have a positive impact on the team but I believe it will have a positive impact on the organzation.

I think if Haslem/Banner fire shurmur that it will show future coaches or any future employee that if you dont get your job done you will be replace. That it can send a message to our next head coach if you dont produce you will be fire.

do i want to fire shurmur? no i dont not
do i see a benefit if we fire shurmur? somewhat


We already have the reputation of firing coaches for not doing their jobs. We also have the reputation of firing coaches without giving them time to turn the team around. I don't think you inspire potential coaching candidates to apply by showing them that they will be on a short leash.

I do suspect we will have a different head coach next year, and hopefully it will be the last one for a long time.


A reputation you are speaking of that covers what 3 or 4 different owners? I don't think it works that way except to fans.

Firing shurmur now does nothing to show that the next coach will have a short leash. What will show how much will be given depends upon the contract offer for the next coach. For instance, if Haslam feels that the guy he hires for HC is the right guy then give him a 10year guaranteed contract.... Versus offering 3 year contract with Lots of outs...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JCBrowns21


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 931
Location: Chi Town
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
I think if Haslem/Banner fire shurmur that it will show future coaches or any future employee that if you dont get your job done you will be replace. That it can send a message to our next head coach if you dont produce you will be fire.


You don't think coaches know this? I think it sends the message that if you can't win in two years you will be fired. What coach would want those circumstances?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 44963
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productiondawg wrote:
Here are my favorite candidates:
Deserving Coordinators
Mike Zimmer
Jay Gruden
Ray Horton

Former Head Coaches
Andy Ried (pending)
Brian Billick

College Coaches
Saban
Shaw

Dark Horses
Sean Peyton
John Gruden
Chin


Reid? You guys complain about not running enough. He'd get crucified here.
Gruden? You guys complain about no consistency at the QB position. He'd have 5 QBs on the roster.
Saban? He quit on the Dolphins.
Peyton? He's either staying in NO, or going back to DAL- regardless, he let a bounty program on underneath his nose, not to mention his contract extension was voided due to a clause on Mickey Rooney's status as GM (he was tied to Rooney in some fashion). I don't think he leaves Rooney.
Billick, Cowher havent coached in years. Cowher will if anything stay in his own yard and coach CAR.


Not sold on Zimmer, heard he's not too good with people.
Heard good things about Keith Butler, and I'm sure Haslam has already met the guy seeing as how he was the owner of his team.

Ray Horton I'm not against AZ somehow has a good D. Also has playing experience and coaching experience.

not sold on any college coach.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DawgSoldier


Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 5947
Location: Medina OH
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
I think if Haslem/Banner fire shurmur that it will show future coaches or any future employee that if you dont get your job done you will be replace. That it can send a message to our next head coach if you dont produce you will be fire.


You don't think coaches know this? I think it sends the message that if you can't win in two years you will be fired. What coach would want those circumstances?


Haslams talent for bringing good people will be tested and I think he does well.
_________________
The Dawgpounds new three headed monster!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 42115
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBTL brought up another good one, Keith Butler
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Productiondawg


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 409
Location: Cincinnati
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Productiondawg wrote:
Here are my favorite candidates:
Deserving Coordinators
Mike Zimmer
Jay Gruden
Ray Horton

Former Head Coaches
Andy Ried (pending)
Brian Billick

College Coaches
Saban
Shaw

Dark Horses
Sean Peyton
John Gruden
Chin


Reid? You guys complain about not running enough. He'd get crucified here.
Gruden? You guys complain about no consistency at the QB position. He'd have 5 QBs on the roster.
Saban? He quit on the Dolphins.
Peyton? He's either staying in NO, or going back to DAL- regardless, he let a bounty program on underneath his nose, not to mention his contract extension was voided due to a clause on Mickey Rooney's status as GM (he was tied to Rooney in some fashion). I don't think he leaves Rooney.
Billick, Cowher havent coached in years. Cowher will if anything stay in his own yard and coach CAR.


Not sold on Zimmer, heard he's not too good with people.
Heard good things about Keith Butler, and I'm sure Haslam has already met the guy seeing as how he was the owner of his team.

Ray Horton I'm not against AZ somehow has a good D. Also has playing experience and coaching experience.

not sold on any college coach.


I should have been more clear, only the coordinators on my list were my favorites, the rest just rounded out the list. I never thought about Keith Butler and I think it's a fantastic idea and has all the right connections, Stealers LB coach and University of Tennessee's DC when Manning was there, I'm sure he's on Haslam's radar.

The only thing I disagreed with your post was Zimmer. I work in a field that puts me around a lot of football personalities, especially the Bengals because of where my office is located and I've never hear a bad thing about Zimmer, I can state for a fact that his players love him. Has resume is outstanding and he gets offers for interviews more an more every year, it's only a matter of time before he takes one. When Marvin's contract was up I was convinced he would have been let go and Zimmer would take over. Obviously that didn't happen and I think Mike Brown's mistake could be it good fortune.
_________________
"If you can't stand the neural activity, than stay out of the neural activator" -Professor Fink  

Season tickets, section 315, since 06
See you in the Muni with the Tailgate DJs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 44963
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe his rep has changed in CIN, I remember saying that he didnt play well with others in DAL.

then again, I could be wrong and thinking of another DAL D-coord
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 44963
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one coach who i would gladly take if he was ever fired/not resigned is none other than Marvin Lewis

his 2000 Ravens D was legendary
he hasnt had a real front office ever in CIN
I think he's a hell of a coach, personally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Productiondawg


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 409
Location: Cincinnati
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
one coach who i would gladly take if he was ever fired/not resigned is none other than Marvin Lewis

his 2000 Ravens D was legendary
he hasnt had a real front office ever in CIN
I think he's a hell of a coach, personally.


I can definitely agree with you on this. Marvin is not only good for the city of Cincinnati, but he is the reason why they are even competitive. He literally coaches with one hand tied behind his back and still manages to come up with wins.
_________________
"If you can't stand the neural activity, than stay out of the neural activator" -Professor Fink  

Season tickets, section 315, since 06
See you in the Muni with the Tailgate DJs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group