Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Game - Atlanta 19, Dallas 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
I still think Dallas has invested adequate resources into their OL over the last two years (9th overall pick on Smith, lots of cash on Free, Livings, and Burnindeuce)- the investments just haven't all paid off.

Since 2002 we have invested the following draft picks into our OL:
Andre Gurode (2nd)
Tyson Walker (6th)
Al Johnson (2nd)
Justin Bates (7th)
Jacob Rogers (2nd)
Stephen Peterman (3rd)
Rob Petitti (6th)
Pat McQuistan (7th)
EJ Whitley (7th)
James Marten (3rd)
Doug Free (5th)
Robert Brewster (3rd)
Sam Young (6th)
Tyron Smith (1st)
David Arkin (4th)
Bill Nagy (7th)

That's 7 "premium" picks and 16 total picks invested in the OL in the last 10 years - but some seem to think we ignore the trenches. And that's ignoring we had a franchise LT we spent a 2nd on in 98 that manned the position till 2009. Then there were the signings of former 1st round picks Leonard Davis, Marc Columbo and picking up Kyle Kosier who became the brains of our OL for the next 5 years. Had our OL Scouts been better, or Houck and the development team been better, perhaps our OL would be the least of our problems right now. It is what it is though

Good digging MH re the O lineman we have drafted. This leads me to ask why have we overwhelmingly failed when it comes to drafting offensive lineman? Gurode, Free, and Smith were players who contributed or are now contributing. That means we are 3 for 16 drafting O Lineman. Let's make it 3 for 15 because we don't know what we have in Arkin. We have a 20% success rate simply to have an offensive lineman make the team. I am not talking about the quality of their contribution. So we fail 80% of the time. That's what needs to be investigated because that just seems awfully high to me and the o line is too important to have this lack of success.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot was Houck, some was our scouting, and some was the original likelihood due to draft position

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 of those guys were drafted by Parcells.
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not looking at who drafted what player rather I am looking at the bigger question as to why the organization as a whole has experienced such a terrible time of drafting and developing offensive linemen. Why do we miss so often?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: