Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quarterback Change???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
I agree with most, play Ponder the rest of the year to see if he progresses. He doesn't have to rip it downfield, but at least go through your progressions and make throws other than dumping it off to AD and Harvin.

yeah...

I just got the feeling that Ponder wasn't going to play well today after the 1st quarter.

and to think I felt very confident before the game. wow.

Its sickening. I'm at a loss of words.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been rocking a Joe Webb avatar since that Eagles game. Put him in.

#TankItTeddy
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hard pill to swallow.. Ponder's regression is just killin' the flow of this team. I mean come on, AP tore it up today and we still lost by 10! How does that happen? Ponder has been terrible the last 4 games, and what yards he has gotten, have mostly come in garbage time... Other QB's have done more with less talent, so I don't want to hear the excuse about no WR's anymore.

But, I will say this... Rick and the coaches aren't going to give up on Ponder yet. Their major priority going into the draft next year has to be getting him new targets (WR's and a TE if Carlson is dropped)... Ponder can be an average QB like Alex Smith if we load up up with WR's and RB's.. And for crying out loud - A NEW OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I just hate the argument of "Ponder will be serviceable if he's surrounded with even more talent." At a certain point it'd be easier to have some sort of confidence in his abilities if he were the one making things happen on the football field and not being totally reliant on difference making plays being made around him...

No one's going to deny that they'd like to see more talent that can make plays with the ball in their hand. The thing is, that goes for every team. This organization has Peterson and Harvin, two very special talents. Find a way to make something happen with them or with other players due to the attention being paid to those players.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with benching Ponder is that you essentially put the Christian Ponder to rest, and its just too early for that.

The better move is to ditch this offense. I remember watching something on ESPN where Jimbo Fisher said "he doesn't do well in tight spaces". Jimbo said he had to spread out the offense and let him sling it. Many touted Ponder as a WCO coming out because of his intelligence and accuracy, I'm starting to think a spread style would do him well. Something similar to what Green Bay and New Orleans run would do him great.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
The only problem with benching Ponder is that you essentially put the Christian Ponder to rest, and its just too early for that.

The better move is to ditch this offense. I remember watching something on ESPN where Jimbo Fisher said "he doesn't do well in tight spaces". Jimbo said he had to spread out the offense and let him sling it. Many touted Ponder as a WCO coming out because of his intelligence and accuracy, I'm starting to think a spread style would do him well. Something similar to what Green Bay and New Orleans run would do him great.

But we have WRs to run that option. It's really frustrating because I know we can't bench Ponder but I can't stand watching him anymore.

#TankItTeddy
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:
I don't know, I just hate the argument of "Ponder will be serviceable if he's surrounded with even more talent." At a certain point it'd be easier to have some sort of confidence in his abilities if he were the one making things happen on the football field and not being totally reliant on difference making plays being made around him...

No one's going to deny that they'd like to see more talent that can make plays with the ball in their hand. The thing is, that goes for every team. This organization has Peterson and Harvin, two very special talents. Find a way to make something happen with them or with other players due to the attention being paid to those players.

Yup, you have the best RB in the game by a mile (imo) and a one of the best playmakers in football, but your team still can't put up enough points because of QB play. If the organization can't realize that at year's end, words won't describe how disgusted I'll be.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ MN might not be in a position to make an upgrade. That is the issue, if your not picking in the top 15 you're generally going to miss out on QBs. Not always the case though 2nd and 3rd rd QBs really dont have a high rate of success.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this providence wrote:

This is my post of the day. I think I might do this every sunday from now on.
Nzd07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
^ MN might not be in a position to make an upgrade. That is the issue, if your not picking in the top 15 you're generally going to miss out on QBs. Not always the case though 2nd and 3rd rd QBs really dont have a high rate of success.

I'd rather us take a chance with Matt Flynn than continue with a QB who hasn't progressed in 2 years.

Pull your 84 jerseys out
Jay-Z wrote:
I'm not a businessman. I'm a business, man!
Nozizaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my mind, you keep him in. Even if it costs you wins, right now. He might progress, and you can improve the team over the off season, regardless. And I do think Ponder should stay next year as well. However, if by next year's off season, if we are in a position to draft a quarterback who is simply better than Ponder, you do it.

But you can't pull the plug on him just because the defense and play calling were horrible for a couple weeks, along with Ponder. It'd be wrong to simply blame these losses on Ponder. We've turned the ball over, missed some catches, tackled poorly and been extremely stubborn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Ponder is about as frustrating as watching James Vandenberg at Iowa, it's like the game just moves too fast for him. Watching a Ponder ran offense makes a Brad Johnson led team look electrifying. Not sure how much the play calling is catering to "Ponder's Strengths", but 63 yards and consistent turnovers isn't going to cut it. Call me impatient, but I'm seeing more progression out of Luck, RG3, Wilson, and even Tannenhill. Maybe he'll be a slow development, but can Minnesota really afford that with Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin, 2 of the most explosive players in the NFL, in the prime of their careers. Webb may not be a pretty passer or the most accurate, but at least the team moves down the field....with the same receiving core. This is a win now league, not a wait and see. I have no faith in the team if we're down by more then a score in the 4th quarter and Harvin isn't 100%.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question. Is there really much difference between Tarvaris Jackson and Christian Ponder, other than the obvious of one being a first round pick with supposed potential. Both seem to have a lot of the same issues. Both werent turnover prone necessarily, just ineffective at moving the ball and lacking the confidence to be a franchise Qb.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Serious question. Is there really much difference between Tarvaris Jackson and Christian Ponder, other than the obvious of one being a first round pick with supposed potential. Both seem to have a lot of the same issues. Both werent turnover prone necessarily, just ineffective at moving the ball and lacking the confidence to be a franchise Qb.

There is not a lot of difference
Darth Brooks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Joe Webb time. Nothing else makes sense if the team is trying to win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: