Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Cliff Avril a better fit as a 3-4 OLB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Is Cliff Avril a better fit as a 3-4 OLB? Reply with quote

Cliff Avril is a pretty good 4-3 end in our scheme but I have always felt he is much better suited to be a 3-4 OLB. Here's why:

1. He has good speed closing speed but he has to sort of build up to that. He doesn't seem to be "explosive". Playing from a 3-4 OLB position would allow him a little more space so that he can be a his peak speed when he engages the first blocker.

2. He seems to take himself out of running plays. I think him being in a 3-point stance all the time limits his vision and awareness. If he was able to stand up more it would give him a chance to survey the field a little better in obvious running situation.

3. His physical build and playing style seem to lend itself to the 3-4 OLB position. He weighs about 260Lbs and is strong enough to take on most RTs from a 3-point stance but if he were able to move around more and stand up periodically, I think the combination of his speed and strength would make him a real terror. He reminds me a lot of Shaun Phillips but with slightly more athleticism and speed.

I am not sure how everyone else views Cliff Avril. Do you think this assessment holds water?
nagahide13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what he's like in coverage. I know people have been saying this for a while because of his body type mainly, and I don't disagree... I just don't know because 3-4 LBs have to do so much more than blitz.
ahoda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can he shed blocks?
USNinc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Avril has stated (On his twitter) that rushing the QB from the DE spot is the only way to play.
He was asked about a 3-4 pass rushing spot and he said something to the effect of "Nah Bro".

I doubt he would give it a serious look.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: