Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Observations from the Jacksonville Game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Observations from the Jacksonville Game Reply with quote

This was a game we should have and did win. Some things that I noticed:

Offense:

1. They had a good day running the football. Leshoure had a big impact early. Joique Bell continues to give us solid production in his role as the #2 RB. He has been a great addition to the Lions. Kudos to Martin Mayhew for bringing him in.

2. Stafford had a good day. He has really made progress as a game manager and is starting to show that he understands when to be a gun slinger and when to be a game manager. He is still a little off with his timing but has improved slowly over the last two games.

3. It was a good day for a Calvin Johnson despite being hobbled. No TDs but had a much more active role today. Ryan Broyles really helped the offense keep the chains moving today. After a big game last week Titus young disappeared again. His drop in the early part of the fourth quarter was pretty bad (in my opinion).

The one thing I don't understand about the game plan today is that the Lions didn't attack the intermediate and deep middle parts of the field. I thought that Calvin Johnson could have split the bracketed coverage a couple of times if he had been running a deep post route. I don't think they even took a shot at that part of the field. Strange.

Defense

1. Where was the pass rush? One sack on 38 pass attempts against Blaine Gabbert? The DEs ran themselves out of the play on most passing downs. The DTs did a good job of containing the middle of the pocket though.

2. It seems like Nick Fairley has yet to really be consistent. I read that he had some problems with his conditioning earlier in the season. Is it still a problem?

3. Jonte Green had another solid game. He had a nice play on an WR screen, a nice INT runback and was solid on the outside preventing a TD. He got picked when the WRs crossed on the last TD but that would happen to a lot of guys. The one thing that stands out with him is that he has become a really good tackler. It seems like he is learning where to be most of the time which puts him in a position to make plays.

4. Our safeties were good today. Eric Coleman had a really good game. He played the run pretty well and was really good in coverage today. Ricardo Silva was solid. He didn't allow any big plays in the run or passing game.

The only thing that really bother about the defense today was the fact they really didn't pressure Blaine Gabbert too much. Is Jacksonville's line that good? How did everyone else see things?
DetroitSpirit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions need black jerseys, that's my only observation.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't think that our DL has $20M tied up into a DE and a DT.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
You wouldn't think that our DL has $20M tied up into a DE and a DT.

Sad part is, our DTs did a very good job of moving the pocket in and forcing Gabbert to the outside. unfortunately, as has been the case all year, our DEs are over pursuing the QB and running right out of the plays. Offenses are using the Wide-9 against us, especially on Avrils side of the field.
38andy38

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grew had 1 catch, which may be one of his all time best, and then completely disappeared. I guess it's just a case of not enough ball to go around

2013 Adopt A Lion - Reggie Bush
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

38andy38 wrote:
Grew had 1 catch, which may be one of his all time best, and then completely disappeared. I guess it's just a case of not enough ball to go around

Yeah, we really ran the ball the majority of the game. We didn't attempt 60 passes this game like we are used to. Some guys didn't get targets, 'Grew being one of them. Wasn't a bad gameplan though, we won the game and really got to run the clock down.

Broyles was a perfect 6 for 6 this week. Cool
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to ramble with this.

When the blocking is effective LeShoure and Bell know what to do with the ball. If the Lions draft one ore two graders for the line the Lions should be able to have an effective ground game against anyone.

Bell is very effective catching the ball. He may lack Bests elite speed but Bell is harder to bring down.

Stafford needs to find a way to get in synch from the opening kickoff. I really don't like how high he throws the ball early. Even on the completions the defence is closing before the receivers feet are back on the ground. A great example were the two time he hit CJ in stride. Especially the pass over the middle, it allowed CJ to extend the play. Overall Stafford had a decent day but a number of catches the receivers helped him out. Given they were playing Jax with a banged up secondary I would have liked a higher QB rating, completion percentage and YPA. Perhaps this will be another building block for him.

CJ is CJ and he had a good game today. Nice to see his stats back.

I love the way Broyles is being worked into the offence. By this time next season everyone should understand why he was the pick. The kid is fearless, doesn't hear footsteps and on contact generally falls up field. I love this kid.
(Oklahoma homer alert Laughing) 6 targets and 6 catches is exactly what this offence needs.

Titus, you who, where are you. I'm being a bit sarcastic. Not everyone can have a big game every week but that drop in the end zone is another drop. Grrr. I really don't know what to think of him at this point. I would like him to be successful but as Broyles emerges Titus has less impact one way or another.

On defence I thought the DT's were effective. I didn't really notice Avril today.

Linebackers were solid as was the secondary.

My main frustration was the second half. I would have preferred the Lions to keep the pressure on both sides of the ball till the end.

Overall not a bad game. It was an expected win and the Lions played well on the road and evened their record at 4-4.

They really control their destiny at this point and have gotten firmly back in the playoff hunt with back to back victories.

Next Sundays match in Minnesota is the most important game of the season. It's really a must win if the Lions are to have a realistic shot at the playoff's.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We won a game we were supposed to win on the road by a large margin of victory. That is what I am happy about.

I feel like Broyles will be our Boldin (Great reception player) to our Fitzgerald (Megatron) who is the big playmaker. I feel like Broyles is going to be good and a great compliment to Megatron.

Bell/LeShoure are making the loss of Best easier and easier every week. I would like a speed player back there though at times. A Best type player would be able to make it to the holes that close up before LeShoure can get there.

I'm still iffy on Stafford this year. He had some bad throws and held onto the ball too long at times. If he keeps getting hit like that all year he won't last the year.

Wish our Dline did create more pressure. I think KVB needs to be replaced. Young hasn't lived up to expectations this year and Avril has been hit or miss. The line as a whole has had its moments but is really underwhelming from expectations going into the year.

We definitely need to keep the momentum going. I feel like if we were up on a different team like that at halftime on the road and came out in the second half to play with such lack of intensity we could have blown that one.

Overall I think we are going to build on this win and hopefully sneak into the playoffs.
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
Wish our Dline did create more pressure. I think KVB needs to be replaced. Young hasn't lived up to expectations this year and Avril has been hit or miss. The line as a whole has had its moments but is really underwhelming from expectations going into the year.

I agree. The DT's played well I suppose but about an hour after the game I couldn't remember if Suh even played. Our DE's have been a disappointment thus far.. All of them. KVB needs to be replaced, but at this point who is there to take over his side that's consistent.

Overall a sound football game minus a few miscues, hopefully we can extend this 3 game winning streak.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
YlionsY wrote:

I agree. The DT's played well I suppose but about an hour after the game I couldn't remember if Suh even played. Our DE's have been a disappointment thus far.. All of them. KVB needs to be replaced, but at this point who is there to take over his side that's consistent.

Overall a sound football game minus a few miscues, hopefully we can extend this 3 game winning streak.

Suh played. In fact, he stopped quite a few runs up the middle. Which is why I am shocked he was not credited for one tackle all game long. Confused
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
YlionsY wrote:

Suh played. In fact, he stopped quite a few runs up the middle. Which is why I am shocked he was not credited for one tackle all game long. Confused

The tackle stats for this game are all messed up. He had a number of stops on runs inside. There are three plays not accounted for in the summary I looked at. There wasn't a single assist recorded for Detroit either.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
YlionsY wrote:

I hope next game makes it three Cool

The DT's seem to be more run focused this year.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
YlionsY wrote:

I hope next game makes it three Cool

The DT's seem to be more run focused this year.

Don't make me remember that game in Chicago Laughing
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Blackmon gets a ton of hate but the offense around him sucks.

- Gabbert will never be a good NFL QB. He has room to grow but he is in the bottom few starters in NFL. Sanchez will always own this honor.

As for Det

- DL needs to get more pressure and sacks period. They make too much money not too.

- Levy is very underrated. You do not realize it until he is not in game.

- Broyles amazing hands continue. Loved this pick on draft day and was defending it like none other (GoLions) and I went around and round on him. I said it then and still think he was first round talent that slipped

- Titus Young? Um. Seriously you are the most inconsistent player on the team man.

- Green actually looked better this game. Still think they can find a better CB then Jonte but he is improving

- Hanson with a miss? Come on man.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Detroitspirit is on a roll with GDT so NOBODY else touch it.......let him continue the magic

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: