Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL QB draft class
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHawk24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: 2013 NFL QB draft class Reply with quote

I don't know who watched the USC and WVU games yesterday, but I have to say while both are high first rounders, I wouldn't put either one of them anywhere close to near of RGIII or Luck. Smith seems more like a Tannenhill and Barkley more of a Ponder. I just wouldn't draft either at one or two. I know QB is by far our number one need, but with Lotulelei, Hankins, Te'o, Jones, Mingo, Joeckel and perhaps even Moore BPA will go out the window and IMO Lotulelie, Hankins and Te'o fix a huge gap in our 3-4 and Jones or Moore would be vital pieces if we were to switch to a 4-3.

I'm not saying it's not worth the reach and by no means am I ignoring QB as our #1 priority, it just frustrates me that our lack of addressing the need in the past and missed picks have put us in this position.

Props to LOTO.Tailback for the best ever; Vincent Edward Jackson
EB29

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You throw Jamarcus Russell back in this draft and Im still taking him before any other position with our first pick. I dont care how these guys grade out relative to other Qbs of past. We still have to take a chance. If they bust its not nearly as bad as previous due to salary cap.

kidding about Russell...no overreactions plz lol

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
JHawk24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamarcus Russel over anybody else in this draft...?

So was Cincy wrong for for passing on Locker, Ponder and Gabbert for AJ Green in 2011 and grabbing Dalton in the 2nd? Same with SF grabbing Aldon Smith when the entire city was calling for Alex Smith to be gone. Were the Jags right to reach for Gabbert with so many other holes and the next 3 DE's to come off the board look like pro bowlers? Were the Browns wrong to grab TR konwing they would snag a QB with #22 but risking the fact Weeden might not be there?

TambaHawk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Barkley with number 1 overall. I love what I am seeing from this kid. I know that USC Quarterbacks bust but he is the first one with blonde hair so he is Golden! Laughing

TambaHawk wrote:
Oh we are getting a Smith just not Geno Smith Laughing
simonwayne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Pioli, is that you?
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hindsight Tannehill was well worth #8 and probably shouldn't have been far behind Luck and RG3. The main reason he was even a question mark was because of limited game film (yes he had a few bad performances, but still).

Barkley and Smith have a lot of tape, as does Wilson, and pretty much everyone else, so comparing them to Tannehill in regards to draft spot isn't really a good comparison.

Barkley really reminds me of Leinart in many ways, which worries me. The difference would have to be between the ears, which was Leinart's biggest issue IMO.

Smith doesn't have any recent good comparisons IMO. The wacky offense makes it hard to draw comparisons to many recent QB's. I still think Geno is probably the best QB for us, as his biggest positives is accuracy and dealing with pressure. Our current offense has receivers who are good after the catch, so getting in their hands and in a spot to allow them to make a play is the most important aspect of our passing game, and our line is simply not very good in pass pro. Sure we can upgrade/change those things, but we wouldn't have to for Geno to give us a nearly instantaneous turnaround.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:

He does have a point. If a GM honestly does not see a franchise QB in the likes of Smith, Wilson, and Barkley then why take one with the idea you might hit the lottery and the guy develops? Now, I am not saying I necessarily believe none of these guys can develop. First off, we need a competent GM and a coaching staff that can properly grade and evaluate NFL prospects - especially the quarterback position.

I have said this before and I will say it again, I like Wilson and I think he can develop into a franchise signal caller and more importantly that leader we need on offense.

But to automatically etch in stone each position needed with a draft position isn't the way to go. It has to be considered, but there might be a franchise player where we pick in the top of round 1 and someone like E.J. Manuel available at the top of round 2 or available by trading back up into the bottom of the first round.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have a QB listed in the top 15 of our board, we must take him even if it's #1 overall. Of course you maybe look to trade back a few spots, but Id' be really worried about missing the guy you want. It's one thing if there are several you'd be happy with at the top and trade back a little, but if lets say Wilson is the only one we think has that It factor, then we better take him, or risk losing him, and therefore any realistic option.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
If we have a QB listed in the top 15 of our board, we must take him even if it's #1 overall. Of course you maybe look to trade back a few spots, but Id' be really worried about missing the guy you want. It's one thing if there are several you'd be happy with at the top and trade back a little, but if lets say Wilson is the only one we think has that It factor, then we better take him, or risk losing him, and therefore any realistic option.

I agree. If one of those guys is viewed as a franchise signal caller by the GM and coaching staff you take him. We just missed the year to suck by one year.

Eric Berry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley is the pick. No questions asked, no discussion.

This same talk of "there are no good enough prospects" has ruined us for the past 30 years. I'm sick of it.

QB is the pick at #1 no matter what a scout says.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Berry wrote:

This same talk of "there are no good enough prospects" has ruined us for the past 30 years. I'm sick of it.

It is a certainty that the Chiefs will draft a QB with their first round pick. The question is: Smith or Barkley... or maybe Wilson??
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckweath wrote:
Eric Berry wrote:

It is a certainty that the Chiefs will draft a QB with their first round pick. The question is: Smith or Barkley... or maybe Wilson??

I would definitely go with Smith and Wilson over Barkley.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckweath wrote:
Eric Berry wrote:

I could see Wilson maybe making a late move based on workouts, Senior Bowl, interviews, etc. I think a smart GM will recognize that college tape isn't always the best evaluator, even though Wilson's is mostly very good, but maybe not as good as Barkley's.

Two years ago Gabbert was the consensus #1 for most of the year. A few years before that Sanchez was talked about as the #1 or 2 overall pick.

I think with some warts coming up on Barkley and Smith, it at least opens things up for someone like Wilson to really climb up boards. It's maybe a 50/50 proposition to get the best QB in a draft at #1, but most drafts of the past decade or more has had at least one legit franchise guy, and at least 1/3 have had 2. Our chances of getting one is very good, so long as we choose wisely. Pick our guy no matter what anyone else says.

^ryknowssd on the sig
kylecumberland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno scares me...After watching him in the west virginia offense I don't see that skill set transferring over to the NFL. I think both Barkley and Wilson will be good solid QB in the league. I would take one of them. The USC QB thing does not worry me. I knew Mark Sanchez would be a bust. He only stated for 1 year. Barkley has been destined to be the # 1 pick since high school. He owns basically every passing record at USC, and has been the starter for 3 years. no comparison between him and sanchez. The other 2 USC QB are Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart. Carson Palmer was a very good QB in his prime, and a franchise QB. Leinart obvously was a dissapointment, but I don't see Barkley being anything like Leinart. I just don't buy in to the whole USC QB thing. I don't evaluate players based on the school they go to. It does not make a whole lot of sense honestly. Every school has very successful NFL players and not as sussessful players, but its about the individual player.
JHawk24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
simonwayne wrote:

He does have a point. If a GM honestly does not see a franchise QB in the likes of Smith, Wilson, and Barkley then why take one with the idea you might hit the lottery and the guy develops? Now, I am not saying I necessarily believe none of these guys can develop. First off, we need a competent GM and a coaching staff that can properly grade and evaluate NFL prospects - especially the quarterback position.

I have said this before and I will say it again, I like Wilson and I think he can develop into a franchise signal caller and more importantly that leader we need on offense.

But to automatically etch in stone each position needed with a draft position isn't the way to go. It has to be considered, but there might be a franchise player where we pick in the top of round 1 and someone like E.J. Manuel available at the top of round 2 or available by trading back up into the bottom of the first round.

Quite simply all I was saying. And in regard to Wilson, I think we would be able to trade back from what seems as our top 3 pick and acquire more picks.

Barkley was not the driving factor in his stats in the Oregon game. The fact he has future all pro receivers surrounding him and had all day to throw and still misplaced his short balls and doesn't drive a line down the field truly turns me off. I could very easily see a Brady Quinnesque drop in the draft for MB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: