Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Payton's deal with Saints voided
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
I don't think people really understand the ramifications, per Payton's suspension he can't have any contact w/ NFL personnel so he can't negotiate a new contract right now. That means the day his suspension is lifted, he's a FA and Jerry Jones will back up the armored car full of money to Payton's house in Dallas and ask how much he needs. Unlike players, there is no salary cap for coaches, Benson will have to be willing to go as high as Jerry is, and I'm not sure any owner in the league is willing to go as high as Jerry is. This could be very interesting after the year is over.

Only issue with that is that, unless the rule isn't prohibitive of him negotiating a contract prior, his suspension doesn't lift until April 16th. How many teams do you think are going to wait that long before hiring a new HC? That's past the saturation point of the hiring pool not just for HC candidates but for staffs as well as past the first major swells of free agency.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
If Sean Payton leaves, I'm starting a protest in New Orleans and its not going to end until Goodell isn't commissioner anymore.
Why?? b/c the NFL committee responsible for approving/rejecting contracts didnt approve the contract before the bounty situation and b/c it could never be worked out was forced to void the extension? Yep that's Roger Goddell's fault.

Goodell approved this contract extension...now all of a sudden its not acceptable? And to top it all off, we don't even get to negotiate with Sean Payton because he's suspended, we just get to watch him become a free agent. Thats absolute BS.
No the extension was never approved, read the article. The NFL told the Saints and Payton last year that the extension wasn't approved but never got a revised contract, and Goddell doesn't approve or reject anything, the NFL contract committee does that.
To add to this, the Saints and Peyton could do all the negotiating they wanted to if they weren't running an illegal bounty program in their organization. This is on the Saints and Peyton. NOT Goodell.

I'm sorry but the Saints got MORE than enough punishment, we lost draft picks, we basically lost a season and now...to top it all off... Goodell could potentially cost us our head coach? This is just to much. He wouldn't have just punished the people in charge he basically gave our FRANCHISE a death sentence.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to sources, the Saints and Sean Payton are allowed to negotiate a contract extension right now. If Payton wants to be here, he'll be re-signed soon enough.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
If Sean Payton leaves, I'm starting a protest in New Orleans and its not going to end until Goodell isn't commissioner anymore.
Why?? b/c the NFL committee responsible for approving/rejecting contracts didnt approve the contract before the bounty situation and b/c it could never be worked out was forced to void the extension? Yep that's Roger Goddell's fault.

Goodell approved this contract extension...now all of a sudden its not acceptable? And to top it all off, we don't even get to negotiate with Sean Payton because he's suspended, we just get to watch him become a free agent. Thats absolute BS.
No the extension was never approved, read the article. The NFL told the Saints and Payton last year that the extension wasn't approved but never got a revised contract, and Goddell doesn't approve or reject anything, the NFL contract committee does that.
To add to this, the Saints and Peyton could do all the negotiating they wanted to if they weren't running an illegal bounty program in their organization. This is on the Saints and Peyton. NOT Goodell.

I'm sorry but the Saints got MORE than enough punishment, we lost draft picks, we basically lost a season and now...to top it all off... Goodell could potentially cost us our head coach? This is just to much. He wouldn't have just punished the people in charge he basically gave our FRANCHISE a death sentence.
Goddell wouldn't be costing you anything, Goddell does not approve/reject contracts that is handled by a committee. I don't know why you are trying to put this on Goddell, its on the Saints for not negotiating a new contract after they found out it was rejected LAST YEAR

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:

No one is every going to say that having a paid bounty program was a good thing, but yea... Everyone but Goodell agrees the Saints have been punished more then enough.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

No one is every going to say that having a paid bounty program was a good thing, but yea... Everyone but Goodell agrees the Saints have been punished more then enough.

This has nothing to do with the bounty program - never did - so not sure why either of you would suggest that.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

This has nothing to do with the bounty program - never did - so not sure why either of you would suggest that.

Absolutely it was off topic but Payton is going nowhere. He will resign a deal with the Saints that doesn't violate the leagues previously approved contracts. This is a technicality, nothing more.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Absolutely it was off topic but Payton is going nowhere. He will resign a deal with the Saints that doesn't violate the leagues previously approved contracts. This is a technicality, nothing more.

Agree 100%

Sig courtesy of mack.
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

I didn't suggest that it did, I just suggested that him saying the contract is declined because of some stupid clause is ridiculous. Why didn't he step in when the Vikings put in that crazy poison pill on Hutchinsons contract? Thats acceptable but Sean Payton having a clause that states he can leave if Loomis is fired isnt? Thats non-sense.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

I didn't suggest that it did, I just suggested that him saying the contract is declined because of some stupid clause is ridiculous. Why didn't he step in when the Vikings put in that crazy poison pill on Hutchinsons contract? Thats acceptable but Sean Payton having a clause that states he can leave if Loomis is fired isnt? Thats non-sense.
Might be b/c he wasn't commisioner yet...well and the fact he didn't step in here either.

Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Might be b/c he wasn't commisioner yet...well and the fact he didn't step in here either.
Sorry why didn't the committee step in? How is this any different? I don't even understand how this clause hurts the NFL in anyway...

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Sorry why didn't the committee step in? How is this any different? I don't even understand how this clause hurts the NFL in anyway...
Why the committee didn't step in at that time? Who knows, we do know they told everybody that poison pills like that going forward would not be allowed. What's so bad about the language, well in short its this, if this language had been allowed to be included, Sean Payton's contract would have become void. You would still be in a situation of having to retain Payton and outbid Jerry Jones to keep him. It offers the team no security (and that's what the NFL is concerned about here, what this does to the team).

Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Payton COULD'VE walked away. The clause stated he had the option too, not he was forced too. This whole situation is ridiculous and if Payton walks, the Saints as a franchise are back to the paper bag days for the foreseeable future.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
No, Payton COULD'VE walked away. The clause stated he had the option too, not he was forced too. This whole situation is ridiculous and if Payton walks, the Saints as a franchise are back to the paper bag days for the foreseeable future.
I'm not sure you understand how financial decisions work. A player or coach is always going to void their contract when they can when its advantageous to them, in this situation it would be extremely advantageous to Payton to void it b/c he can force Benson into a bidding war w/ Jerry Jones.

Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
I'm not sure you understand how financial decisions work. A player or coach is always going to void their contract when they can when its advantageous to them, in this situation it would be extremely advantageous to Payton to void it b/c he can force Benson into a bidding war w/ Jerry Jones.

Yeah. I get that, I was explaining that the clause was IF Mickey Loomis was fired or suspended Sean Payton COULD walk away, not that he is forced too.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: