Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DeCastro and the OG situation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: DeCastro and the OG situation Reply with quote

Not sure if this is being discussed, but I'm wondering what the latest is on DD. I haven't seen anything recently. Also, since Colon and Foster are playing well, does DD get playing time when he comes back? I think he is eligible to return next week, right?

Go Noles!
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope he isn't rushed back. A wim tomorrow and against KC puts us in a good position. I say save.him til he's 100%

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him sit and learn if the OL continues to gel and play well going forward.

Hell start at RG next year when Foster leaves in FA this offseason.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
treat88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a nasty injury.

All comes down to the patellar tendon and how torn it really was.

I would bet against him suiting up this season.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking along the same lines. Although I would activate him off the IR when he's eligible in case Gilbert trips and falls on someone again! But no reason to play him over Foster or Colon, since they are both playing well.

Go Noles!
SouthwestSteel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
That was a nasty injury.

All comes down to the patellar tendon and how torn it really was.

I would bet against him suiting up this season.

I had been curious what you thought with your background. My impression was the same. My main concern is for him to have a long, healthy, productive career. Playing this season may or may not be compatible with that goal. Hopefully there will be outside opinions and extensive testing, and erring on the side of caution if there is an error.
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Foster is playing as well as he is now we shouldn't rush DD back. I hope DD and Foster are our OGs of the future, but with Colon entrenched I doubt it.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
lionslicer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard he was making progress to join the team and practice this week, but looks like that wont be the case.

I think he'll be back at some point this season, but he probably not see any game time. Foster has been playing well anyways.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think DD will play again this season unless there is a injury to either of the OG position. Or unless the Steelers go for some power rushing putting DD at FB. But right now I think he's just insurance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/11/02/update-on-decastro/

Quote:
If the perfect scenario would’ve played out, Steelers rookie first-round pick David DeCastro would’ve been eligible to be added to the 53-man roster Friday and play against the N.Y. Giants Sunday.

The perfect scenario didn’t happen, and actually, don’t expect to see DeCastro on the football field any time soon.

DeCastro reportedly suffered a torn medial collateral ligament, a dislocated kneecap and damage to his patellar tendon when his right leg buckled underneath him during the second series of the second preseason game against Buffalo.

DeCastro had surgery Aug. 29 and placed on injured reserve with the designation to return nine days later. Under the guidelines of the new injured reserve rule, DeCastro was eligible to start practicing with the team two weeks ago.

The Steelers were optimistic that DeCastro could return this year in August. That optimism has tempered.

“It is all on his timetable,” offensive line coach Sean Kugler told me last week. “He had a pretty significant knee injury …”

Kugler said in August that he expected DeCastro back at some point during the season. He didn’t sound as confident last week.

“If he has a chance to come back and play, he better be mentally prepared,” Kugler said.

DeCastro has been working out in the pool and riding the stationary bike to strengthen his knee, but hasn’t attempted any football-related activities yet.

And with the season already half over and Ramon Foster playing so well at right guard, the urgency for DeCastro’s return has waned.

However, Kugler has done a good job of keeping DeCastro involved in the day-to-day process of playing in the NFL.

“He is charting on the sidelines so that keeps him involved with every call,” Kugler said. “He is hearing every call and every personnel grouping from the sidelines. He is in every meeting. He is taking tests. He is doing everything that a player would do other than play in the game. It keeps him in it mentally and keeps him part of the group because sometimes when you are hurt, sometimes you feel like you are not part of anything. We want to make him feel important.”

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
treat88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SouthwestSteel wrote:
treat88 wrote:
My main concern is for him to have a long, healthy, productive career. Playing this season may or may not be compatible with that goal.

Absolutely.

The fact of the matter is, playing this season is not in his best interests no matter how you slice it.

The patellar tendon accommodates massive forces and I don't foresee any scenario, unless the tear was the most minor possible, that the tendon would be healed enough to not be at risk of reinjury within the space of this season.

As brick's post notes, the fact he hasn't even begun running on dry ground yet speaks volumes.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."

Last edited by treat88 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Foster and Colon's play have taken the urgency out of DD recovery.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I think Foster and Colon's play have taken the urgency out of DD recovery.

The question is, how long does that last?

Im not convinced this is the new standard, but moreso a string of decent games.

Not being a pessimist or anything, but given the history of both Colon and Foster's inconsistency, I am reluctant to buy into that.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Treat88

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we try to resign Foster Next year? I mean, Colon is a Bronx Brawler inside...no doubt about it..this is his true position. Foster is doing well ...How do we know Decastro will be ready so soon..or maybe even next year..i mean..how do we know is he is any good even if healthy..i want to be sure...you know? Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: